Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

WA Police International Transition recruitment

WA Police International Transition recruitment

Old Oct 28th 2022, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Hopefulcumbrian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WA Police International Transition recruitment

Hello

I have started looking in to transferring over from the UK to WA Police.

I wondered if anyone had any guidance or information on the process.

From what i have read today the police role would fall under the Regional Sponsored Migration Visa Scheme?

Have people generally had to be offered a job before a visa or the other way around?

How have people found the application process from form to assessment?

Apologise if these questions have been covered I've been finding it hard to wade through what is online at the moment as the opening up of recruitment seems quite new.

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 31st 2022, 7:09 pm
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Moocher90
I would also like to know about what shift patterns are generally like. Is it like 2 early shifts 2 lates and 2 nights and however many day off or does it work differently in WA
I can't seem to sort the formatting out, but hope you get the ghist.

There are two main rosters for the Perth Metro stations:

Four panel, worked at smaller stations eg Kwinana, Palmyra, Canning Vale to name a few.

Mon Tues Weds Thu Fri Sat Sun
Week 1 D D R R D D D
Week 2 R R R A A A A
Week 3 R R D D D R R
Week 4 A A A A R R R

Resources allowing...D - Day shift - one car starts at 0600, and usually everyone else at 0700. A - Afternoon/Evening/Nights- one car starts at 1600, one car on Nights (2100 - 0700) then if any to spare maybe an Evening car, 1800 start.
But shift starts times can vary based on the particular needs of a station.

The 6 panel roster is worked at the bigger stations, eg Perth, Rockingham, Midland (with the exception of Joondalup which for some reason is on the four panel roster?!)
Mon Tues Weds Thu Fri Sat Sun
Week 1 N N N E R R R
Week 2 D D D D R R R
Week 3 R R A A E E A
Week 4 R R R N N N N
Week 5 R R R R D D D
Week 6 L L R R L L R

D - Days One car at 0600, everyone else at 0700. A -Afternoon - everyone at 16.00. E - Evening, everyone at 1800. N - Nights, everyone at 2100.

All shifts are 10 hours. The management are looking into changing the rosters, but no one pattern is coming out as a particular favourite at the moment.
I reckon all Transitionals will end up being posted to one of the main 24 hour stations; Perth, Midland, Armadale, Fremantle, Mandurah, Joondalup, Cannington, Mirrabooka,

Last edited by Pincher; Oct 31st 2022 at 7:11 pm. Reason: Formatting
Old Oct 31st 2022, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Moocher90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Pincher that's very helpful 😊
Old Oct 31st 2022, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Moocher90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are the L's in the 6 week shift pattern lates as the others are marked up at A for afternoon.
Old Oct 31st 2022, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Joe6868 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to jump on this, but a current Police Staff employee in the UK are they eligible for a civvy role in WA or are they just after bobbies?

Not finding much online in regards to UK Police Staff
Old Nov 1st 2022, 3:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe6868
Sorry to jump on this, but a current Police Staff employee in the UK are they eligible for a civvy role in WA or are they just after bobbies?

Not finding much online in regards to UK Police Staff
If you're a civvy/support staff you would need to qualify for a visa, and then once you have the visa in hand you can apply for police support staff roles as part of the public service. Aus Police Services tend to employ far fewer civvy staff than the UK, and sponsorships like this are for serving officers.
I remember trying to get civvy jobs when I came out here - I used to work for Sussex and there were very few available. I was a Fingerprint Technician and the only way to carry on in that field would have been to join the police, then apply internally when a job came up after a few years pounding the beat etc as a serving officer.
Old Nov 1st 2022, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesg177 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if this will be an ongoing thing now that WA have changed the visa rules to include us again.
Or will it be a temporary campaign until the desired number has been recruited?

Also is there a timeframe that you would be expected to be over and ready to start training following the application process?
Old Nov 1st 2022, 2:57 pm
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of

Sorry, my tired Brit brain; The Ls should be As for Afternoon shifts.
Old Nov 1st 2022, 3:00 pm
Almost there...

Originally Posted by Jamesg177
Does anyone know if this will be an ongoing thing now that WA have changed the visa rules to include us again.
Or will it be a temporary campaign until the desired number has been recruited?

Also is there a timeframe that you would be expected to be over and ready to start training following the application process?
It's only until sufficient numbers have been recruited. It's not likely to be a permanent change, as it hasn't been for the previous campaigns.
It could be quick. I applied November 2013 and started August 2014.
Old Nov 2nd 2022, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

mossy1986 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pincher
You should easily get at least 3-4 months notice of a move if successful. I know some people did defer to a later start date, but I can't recall the details.
If you for instance get offered June 2023 and then tell them you can't start until November 2023, you run the risk that come November they're no longer running Transitional Courses.
I applied November 2013, did my testing in February 2014, was accepted April and then started in August having moved over in late June. For us that gave us more than enough time to sort things out.
thank you for this. I reckon we could do it in that time frame. I’d enquire about a later start if there was another transitional course however as it would give me more time to secure the funds for the move. I’d ideally like to do the same as you and come out say 3 weeks prior and to be able to take a months salary as a buffer. If there were no later starts I’d still make the move!! Thanks again for your help
Old Nov 2nd 2022, 1:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mossy1986
thank you for this. I reckon we could do it in that time frame. I’d enquire about a later start if there was another transitional course however as it would give me more time to secure the funds for the move. I’d ideally like to do the same as you and come out say 3 weeks prior and to be able to take a months salary as a buffer. If there were no later starts I’d still make the move!! Thanks again for your help
Just checking, but the month's salary you mention would be on top of a good budget for the move? As it'll cost waaaaay more than that to move (unless your salary is incredibly high!). A search of the main Oz forum will give you some idea of what kind of figure you're looking at.

Good luck.
Old Nov 2nd 2022, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just checking, but the month's salary you mention would be on top of a good budget for the move? As it'll cost waaaaay more than that to move (unless your salary is incredibly high!). A search of the main Oz forum will give you some idea of what kind of figure you're looking at.

Good luck.
Hi there, oh yes I meant a months salary ON TOP of the move budget 😂. We’re looking at around £15k for flights, visas, shipping, at least a months rent. Crazy money but worth it
Old Nov 2nd 2022, 5:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, oh yes I meant a months salary ON TOP of the move budget 😂. We’re looking at around £15k for flights, visas, shipping, at least a months rent. Crazy money but worth it
You might want to add a bit more to that (unless there's any kind of relocation allowance that will pay for a chunk of stuff?)…….Family of 5 with a 4 year plan :)

HTH.
Old Nov 2nd 2022, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Good luck.
You might want to add a bit more to that (unless there's any kind of relocation allowance that will pay for a chunk of stuff?)

HTH.
Thanks for that mate I’ve just had a look at that. Some of the figures mentioned in there are astronomical. If it’s going to cost £30k-£50k like it says in there I doubt we’d be able to do it. I doubt many UK Police officers would to be honest.

Hopefully it’s doable for us. We’d be staying with friends in Mindarie for 3 months initially to get on our feet. My hopefully my partner could start earning pretty quickly too if she does some networking in advance for her business.

fingers crossed. Thanks for the heads up though mate. Much appreciated 👍🏻
Old Nov 3rd 2022, 8:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks for that mate I’ve just had a look at that. Some of the figures mentioned in there are astronomical. If it’s going to cost £30k-£50k like it says in there I doubt we’d be able to do it. I doubt many UK Police officers would to be honest.

Hopefully it’s doable for us. We’d be staying with friends in Mindarie for 3 months initially to get on our feet. My hopefully my partner could start earning pretty quickly too if she does some networking in advance for her business.

fingers crossed. Thanks for the heads up though mate. Much appreciated 👍🏻
No probs. I have absolutely no idea about moving costs to Oz, but I do know that our own move to the east coast of the US is going to cost pretty much bang on between those two figures. Shipping alone will cost most of your budget these days (prices are sky high at the mo), so by the time you've added on visas, flights, insurances, deposits and everything else I do think you need more than £15k. But if you've got people to stay with when you arrive that will definitely help keep the costs down, particularly as it will give you some time to build up a credit rating before renting your own place (which if Oz is anything like other countries, will save you having to pay x amount of months up front to negate the lack of credit rating there).

Best of luck to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.