Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

WA London assessment tips

WA London assessment tips

Old Jun 10th 2013, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

OzPCwannaB will become famous soon enough
Default WA London assessment tips

Hi

I'm new to this today but thought I'd help those about to do assessments in London.

I travelled to Perth in February 2013 and completed the 3 day assessment

The first day was fitness an this is what I learnt:

The sit up:
This is one of the first things you do after a typical OST warm up.
Tip: you can lift you toes slightly off the floor as long as your heels DON'T move.
Your arms are across your chest, hands on shoulders. You can use your arms momentum to help you as long as you don't take your hand off your shoulders.

The gun test:
I found this easy and have never held a gun in my life
Tip: count to 10! So many people didnt do enough.

The push and pull machine they can't do in London as they don't have the machine so that us the reason for the weights and push ups in London.

Bleep test: its done in different groups depending on age/how far you have to go etc.

The cone test:
This is all about technique! A guy passed level 13 on bleed test an was beating the bleeps but failed this test.
Tip:
You can start in any position on the floor AS LONG AS your chest is on the floor. You can have on leg best like a Spider-Man position or have you ass in the air, what ever you feel comfortable, just keep that chest on the floor. I found that most the girls who passed this started with one leg bent.

Spelling test:
You do two tests, 20 each test. One after the other. It's in a tape that you listen to. They say the word, then an example then the word again. Mostly police words such as commissioner, cautious, fatigue, accused. Etc

English test;
You get a time limit for the test. Bit like school exams, your answer sheet you ticking/crossing A,B,C,D etc
Examples of questions are like:

Four of the following words have something in common
a) windshield. B) trunk. c) mirror. D) window. e) bottle. f) keyboard
Which two dont belong?

A) A&E. b) B&F. c) C&D. d) D&E. e) E&F

The answer is b) as the other four are made out of glass.

Also:
Which two sentences prove that some women are NOT scientists?
A) scientist are graduates
B) no scientists are technicians
C) many women are graduates
D) all technicians are women
E) some women are scientists
The answer is B &D

The maths test:
I found really hard. Again is timed an I ran out of time very quickly.

Example of questions :
At a rate of 3 kn/h, how many hours will it take a person to walk 20km?
The answer is 6 2/3 hours

Investigation test:
This is a book of symbols. Pictures/patterns with a jigsaw piece missing. You have to pick the right one that completes the pattern/picture
This had a time limit but you could take how ever long you wanted underneath that extended time limit. Once you were done you could leave.

Phycological test:
This is 100's of questions of situation examples and what you would do/act in these situations
Tip: answer as honestly as you can. The quetions are designed to repeat several times and you can't waste time going back through to see what you answered before so just be honest. But remember its about what you would do as an employer not out on a jolly with your mates

For example:
They are true or false questions. Don't look to deep into a question. They are not trying to catch you out.
Question example:
Do you like little boys? The answer would be true! Why wouldn't you like little boys?
They ask about how you feel about aboriginals and what are they etc

The interviews are often with an inspector and they are really friendly and somewhat informal too which does relax you

I hope this helps. Happy to answer any questions I you wish.

About me!
I failed due to me having difficulty with a marriage break up. They could tell I hadn't 100% made my mind up if it was completely over. They gave me 6 months to sort it out and contact them again.
I have applied again after returning from oz an marriage is not going to work. Im the only one in UK the rest of my family all went out there 9 years ago so I can help with questions about living there and the area too if that helps

Good luck to everyone. Hoping to hear about applications soon

Last edited by OzPCwannaB; Jun 10th 2013 at 8:21 am.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Nottsscouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WA London assessment tips

Great post, thank you.
What's the gun test?!
Old Jun 10th 2013, 10:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Just a word of caution........We have discovered in the past that like immigration departments, various bodies sponsoring staff do browse forums like this. QAS (Queensland Ambulance) for example - I used to walk past the desks of the people running the campaign, and see BE open on a very relevant thread outlining recruitment test procedures.......

Private messages on here are private, forum posts are not
Old Jun 10th 2013, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Spudboy01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the spelling test written or pick the correct spelling?
Old Jun 10th 2013, 6:50 pm
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nottsscouse
Great post, thank you.
What's the gun test?!
You have to rack the slide of an imitation Glock 10 times. There's a video of the technique on Stepforward.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Just a word of caution........We have discovered in the past that like immigration departments, various bodies sponsoring staff do browse forums like this. QAS (Queensland Ambulance) for example - I used to walk past the desks of the people running the campaign, and see BE open on a very relevant thread outlining recruitment test procedures.......

Private messages on here are private, forum posts are not
I appreciate your comment. However I have simply put this info to help others. The examples of questions are not from the actual test but from a book that THEY recommended which I purchased whilst I was out there. I know a few people have had difficulty in purchasing this book in the UK so just wanted to help those that havnt been able to get it. I did not know what to expect from the test dates an would have appreciated some idea of what to expect. I apologise if this may have offended anyone but I thought it would help. However if you think this may ruin any chances of success I would defernatly delete this tread straight away.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Spudboy01
Is the spelling test written or pick the correct spelling?
The spelling test is spoken on a tape and you have to write it yourself.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Spudboy01 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's me screwed!!!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 5:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzPCwannaB
I appreciate your comment. However I have simply put this info to help others. The examples of questions are not from the actual test but from a book that THEY recommended which I purchased whilst I was out there. I know a few people have had difficulty in purchasing this book in the UK so just wanted to help those that havnt been able to get it. I did not know what to expect from the test dates an would have appreciated some idea of what to expect. I apologise if this may have offended anyone but I thought it would help. However if you think this may ruin any chances of success I would defernatly delete this tread straight away.
Hi, thats fine - examples from the book etc are great. If anything my comment was to stop the discussion developing too far - in the past we've had to remove stuff like personal comments about the interviewers which I'm sure you realise would not be a good idea to post!! The thread is fine at present, doesn't reveal too much secret squirrel stuff
Old Jun 11th 2013, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hi, thats fine - examples from the book etc are great. If anything my comment was to stop the discussion developing too far - in the past we've had to remove stuff like personal comments about the interviewers which I'm sure you realise would not be a good idea to post!! The thread is fine at present, doesn't reveal too much secret squirrel stuff
Thanks for your advise. I wouldn't have done that just things that I wish I had known the first time.

Also for anyone wanting to know, the book I have is police prep. Australian police exams.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 2:30 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough

Just a quick note about the sit up.

When doing the assessments in London last year, some people failed because their toes lifted off the floor. Now we know what the Wapol website says and there's also a video where the guys toes lift ever so slightly but be warned, they did fail people for it.