Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

WA - June 2013 Intake - Progress & Results

WA - June 2013 Intake - Progress & Results

Old Oct 12th 2013, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

bagdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WA - June 2013 Intake - Progress & Results

I put it on the market last month after I passed the fitness. You not thinking of keeping one to rent out ?
If things don't progress we'll look into renting this out and selling it at the right time.

I hope it's sooner rather than later, there's only so many episodes of "Wanted Down Under" I can watch !
Old Oct 12th 2013, 1:53 pm
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute

We spoke to our mortgage company last week, not pre empting anything, but just wanted to know if we could rent. We have to apply to be allowed to rent out, if successful, it costs £1,250 a year, and has to be applied for yearly. Unless you switch to a buy to let mortgage, you will need permission to rent your place out, or you could take a gamble and hope they don't find out, but risky especially when you will have to complete the necessary tax forms to say you're leaving the country. The rent also has to cover 120% of the mortgage to account for any rises in the interest rate.
We're thinking about renting, not because we're expecting the move to fail, but you never know what the future holds. Also, with house prices said to be rising, seems sensible to hold onto it for a couple of years to see what happens.

We're also going to get it valued for sale purposes, just to see where we stand. We bought just before the recession, and I doubt there's much equity in it and we don't want to be covering fees out of our moving fund. If the sale will cover all the fees, we'd consider selling too.

So much to think about and yet we can do nothing until that email comes through!!
Old Oct 12th 2013, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

simps is an unknown quantity at this point

Were planning on doing the same ting, glad I just spent £5000 on a new bathroom. All seems very complicated renting it out.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

will every one be debt free when moving out, or will you take personal loans credit cards with you and pay them off over there, it's something me and wife are talking about. We have a loan that we could transfer to HSBC over there, or we can pay it off here before leaving, but will take a chunk out of our start up fund. Hmmm decisions.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 2:06 pm
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute

Bagdog, we are keeping some debt here. Wife will be getting a pension which we will use to pay them, plus saving some to transfer out in a lump from time to time. No point using the moving over fund and struggling to set up out there!
Old Oct 12th 2013, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Adix2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

We're gonna sell up, give us plenty of cash to get debt free, plus extra for move, cars, and maybe artist for a deposit out there.we've just finished our house, it was basically back to brick.for me a house is a house, a home is where my personal bits are and my family and dog.if it all went wrong and we had to come back we'd be starting again anyway and I'd be stacking shelves in tesco as I've never done anything but police and doubt I'd get job back.all big steps to take but worth it.I'm determined if I get the chance we'll make it work x
Old Oct 12th 2013, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

fadsie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ill be taking debt with me. Cant afford to pay it over here and raise funds for visas flights accommodation etc. May consider trying to get a loan over there to cover all outstanding debt and a car. Got to get that yes email before any of this can become an issue. The wait is agonising. Does everyone feel confident?
Old Oct 12th 2013, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

I'm in similar boat to Gregster. Bought at a high price so won't make a great deal on it. It's good to know that others are in similar boat, we won't be taking a massive amount of debt with us but it's something I'd like to see gone so we can start from 0 at Oz. But as you've all said, set up funds are more important and a comfortable start with money in the bank is a must.
My mate over there told me some of the cops he went over with 6-7 years ago had nothing and just lived off their wages for first year, so it is doable.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

VikkiShields is an unknown quantity at this point

We going over with hopefully no debt except house however we won't have any back up money like we originally intended. We come this far we not letting financial reasons stop us if its a yes. It doesn't help I on maternity pay. Might have to get myself back to work if its a yes.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Adix2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: WA - June 2013 Intake - Progress & Results

Originally Posted by VikkiShields
We going over with hopefully no debt except house however we won't have any back up money like we originally intended. We come this far we not letting financial reasons stop us if its a yes. It doesn't help I on maternity pay. Might have to get myself back to work if its a yes.
I've just gone back after maternity leave, now on part time wages.I miss the money but loving the extra days off.ill happily go full time though if we're in Australia.

Going back to earlier question of feeling confident I think if people passed the fitness, I did, and felt happy with the interview why shouldn't we feel confident.we all got this far and they do need officers.i feel good about it but you never know.roll on next week, can't stop checking emails and I know they don't even work weekends ha
Old Oct 12th 2013, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Dinger Bell is an unknown quantity at this point

We've had the house for sale since the end of July and have some debt which we we will continue to pay off in Oz, it's either 0% card debt or locked in on a loan so there is no benefit to paying them off early. If house sells it gives us the deposit for WA. I have quite a few Pmas savings plans that I can cash in to finance visas, flights etc. We hope what we can raise from selling our car will give us a deposit for a car in Oz. There has been lots of number crunching but nothing in life is easy and you always have to make compromises and sacrifices. The bigger picture is a better lifestyle and a better future for the kids.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

jim_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

i am maybe the only mental one here.....i completed the sale of my house in july.....for this...not even knowing if i passed the application. been living with parents with misses and two kids to save for expenses etc!

i think i checked my emails about 60 times today and even clicked refresh every time i checked just incase i missed it.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jim_1
i am maybe the only mental one here.....i completed the sale of my house in july.....for this...not even knowing if i passed the application. been living with parents with misses and two kids to save for expenses etc!

i think i checked my emails about 60 times today and even clicked refresh every time i checked just incase i missed it.
We have been living with my husbands cousin for nearly 2 years. We saved up quite a bit but when they never lifted the 3-7 years ban and after many phone calls to WAPOL and immigration it seemed that there was no chance so thinking we would never get there we bought new cars a house and went in holiday as it seemed we wound never get to live our dream. Then Sod's law the day we completed the house sale they lifted the ban. So now it's all systems save again.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 7:25 am
Just Joined

jim_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by VikkiShields
We have been living with my husbands cousin for nearly 2 years. We saved up quite a bit but when they never lifted the 3-7 years ban and after many phone calls to WAPOL and immigration it seemed that there was no chance so thinking we would never get there we bought new cars a house and went in holiday as it seemed we wound never get to live our dream. Then Sod's law the day we completed the house sale they lifted the ban. So now it's all systems save again.

oh dear well im not the only mad one then. good luck with saving....im getting married in 3 weeks. so having to pay for that is killing the budget!!
Old Oct 13th 2013, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

I know it's a nightmare money wise but how long do you put your life On hold. At least it will be a lovely new start to married life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.