Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

UK Special Constable wanting to join Vancouver Police

UK Special Constable wanting to join Vancouver Police

Old Jan 18th 2015, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

JSC01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Special Constable wanting to join Vancouver Police

Hi

I am currently a Special Constable working for West Yorkshire Police in England.
I have been looking into the possibility of moving to Canada and more specifically, Vancouver.

As far as I am aware, due to me being a Special Constable, I am unable to go through any form of transfer. I am wondering if any former Specials or UK regular officers have made the move to Vancouver police and how they did it.

I know moving to a different country is going to be difficult so any advise on how to make the move would be massively helpful and appreciated.

Thanks

JSC01
Old Jan 19th 2015, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

paddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Special Constable wanting to join Vancouver Police

Hi.

At the minute none of the Canadian Police Services are recruiting Internationally so you may need to look at other routes to come over get your residency and then apply. I know that Calgary also require you to have been in Canada 3 years before they will accept your application. Not sure if Vancouver have something similar. Keep an eye on the forum as I have no doubt if anyone opens up it will be posted here.

Again if they begin to recruit I am guessing they will be looking for experienced regular officers so honestly not sure how you would stand as a special.

Either way keep checking back and good luck...
Old Jan 20th 2015, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

notbrazil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paddyonway
Hi.

At the minute none of the Canadian Police Services are recruiting Internationally so you may need to look at other routes to come over get your residency and then apply. I know that Calgary also require you to have been in Canada 3 years before they will accept your application. Not sure if Vancouver have something similar. Keep an eye on the forum as I have no doubt if anyone opens up it will be posted here.

Again if they begin to recruit I am guessing they will be looking for experienced regular officers so honestly not sure how you would stand as a special.

Either way keep checking back and good luck...
There are some forces around the Vancouver area that are accepting international applications (New Westminster, Transit Police and others) however you must have permanent resident status before you can apply. Being a regular police officer in the UK is not enough to get you that status, so being a special definitely isn't. So, unless you're qualified in a profession that is on the skills list, or are married to a Canadian citizen, you're out of luck.

If they do start recruiting from the UK again (ie sponsoring applicants for PR status), and it's a big IF, it will only apply to regulars.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 9:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As the others have said, even if you were a 'normal' police officer, you wouldn't be able to get a visa off the back of it, so you'll need another route to PR before you can think about it.

Have a look at the CIC website for info on how you might qualify for a visa, and then go from there.

Best of luck.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

JSC01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot guys, at least that clears things up for me a little bit. I am a gas engineer by day job so not sure how I stand in terms of whether that classes as me being skilled.

Anyone any idea on how long it takes to gain PR status or citizenship?

JSC01
Old Jan 20th 2015, 7:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

A gas engineer is far more likely to qualify for a visa, yes, although do note that it's a regulated profession in Canada so you'll have some hoops to jump through.

Timescales for PR will depend on the visa route you go down (could be 10 months, could be many years!), citizenship is another 5 years or so from the time you become a PR.

If you pop in to the Canada sub forums, you'll find the Wiki is full of useful info, and also the immigration section of the forum for any visa related questions.

HTH.