Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

UK serving Police officer wanting to go to Australia

UK serving Police officer wanting to go to Australia

Old Mar 14th 2013, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

powellfamily will become famous soon enough
Default UK serving Police officer wanting to go to Australia

Hi all,

I am wanting to make the move to Australia but seem to have hit a brick wall with getting there.

I am a Kent Police officer with 9 years service.

WAPOL are only recruiting officers with 3-7 years and SAPOL aren't recruiting. From what I have researched no other police force sponser applicants and I do not have any other way of obtaining a visa unless anyone knows of something I may have missed?

Any advice would be great appreciated
Old Mar 15th 2013, 9:41 am
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough
Default Re: UK serving Police officer wanting to go to Australia

Hi,
I noticed you posted on another thread that your missus has had maternity leave.
If you get her complete service and take away the time off that she had on maternity then this will be the time served that they look at.
If the end total is less than 7yrs then she can apply.
I have replied to your other thread as well.
I've gone through the whole process and am just awaiting my visa being issued
Old Mar 15th 2013, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Thumbs down Re: UK serving Police officer wanting to go to Australia

Hi thanks for replying after taking off maternity leave she is still 4 months over :-(
Old Mar 15th 2013, 4:36 pm
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of

Hi.
Might be as well to check with WAPol. The recognition of prior service form involves deducting all annual leave and sick periods in order to calculate what pay scale you go in on. That may bring your O/H under the limit.
I am with Kent too. Feel free to PM me with any queries.
All the best.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Does it really include annual leave and sick leave?
Old Mar 15th 2013, 4:56 pm
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of

Hi.
Surely it can't do any harm to try?
The form asks you to give your total service, then you deduct your A/L, sick leave, international deployments and any other periods of leave too.
The final figure is the 'total service claimed' which you could use to say is how much time your O/H really has spent in the job.

In a sense it works in WAPols favour as it means that by subtracting all the leave you may not get a higher pay scale, thereby saving them money (which is why there is a 7 year limit on new applicants).
I would suggest filling out the forms and see how it goes.

If that doesn't work, don't loose faith. There has been a state election in WA (9th March) Both main political parties have promised to increase police numbers by an additional 800 officers over the next 4 years. That may cause WAPol to relax the recruitment criteria.

P
Old Mar 15th 2013, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks will give it a go!
Old Mar 17th 2013, 3:19 am
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough

No it doesn't include annual leave.
Only unpaid leave, maternity and career breaks can be taken off time served.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

richie-318 is an unknown quantity at this point

powellfamily

Have you had any luck with WAPOL, I've got 11 years and really want to make the move. Years ago I knew a bloke with 20 something and he got into SAPOL.

Richie
Old Apr 15th 2013, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Paul872 is an unknown quantity at this point

Powellfamily,

To be honest I don't think Wapol really care too much about the amount of prior service you have. They just put their requirements and move the goal post as they see fit. So I'd still enquire if I were you. I had over none years service when I applied and they were only looking for 3-5 years service at the time. I serviced a further five years service with Wapol, the majority of service was spent with one of their major crime forensic departments. So then after 14 years police service I pulled the pin and returned to the Uk.

My only advice is that the grass is not greener. If I went into the pro's and con's I'd probably just get slated for my honest point of view. However, we are all different and if it's right for you and your family, why not give it a go.

Regards
Old Apr 15th 2013, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Sorry... Spelling... Nine years service when I applied.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Ah man, auto spelling, just read my post, 
Old Apr 17th 2013, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Mmcole2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

My husband is a serving officer with West Mids and has coming up to 10 years' service. Just wanted to ask.....has anybody or does anybody know of, a succesful applicant with over the 7 year barrier? He is only 32 and we would love to make the move!
Old Apr 20th 2013, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

MAVA is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I'm currently a MET officer for nearly 6 years and I think after much consideration and deliberations I'm probably at that stage where I'm going to take the plunge and apply.

Would appreciate any input from you guys whether the risk is worth it and if anyone knows of people who have done it and now "living the dream". It is a big risk to leave what you know and go somewhere completely alien to you. My friend went to SA police without visiting the country etc and he absolutely loves it, I'm hoping it will be the same in WA?! I want a change and I want to enjoy working to live!
Old Apr 21st 2013, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Mmcole2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MAVA
Hi all,

I'm currently a MET officer for nearly 6 years and I think after much consideration and deliberations I'm probably at that stage where I'm going to take the plunge and apply.

Would appreciate any input from you guys whether the risk is worth it and if anyone knows of people who have done it and now "living the dream". It is a big risk to leave what you know and go somewhere completely alien to you. My friend went to SA police without visiting the country etc and he absolutely loves it, I'm hoping it will be the same in WA?! I want a change and I want to enjoy working to live!
I know a few of my husbands friends from the force are over in Oz and two of them are based WA. In fact, he's been speaking with them this week about applications and I know they said its the best thing they've ever done and have no regrets. One of them has been out there about 4 years and still loves it. His words were do it, you'll never look back!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.