Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

UK Sergeants and WA Promotion process :)

UK Sergeants and WA Promotion process :)

Old Mar 22nd 2014, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

josh8239 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Sergeants and WA Promotion process :)

Hey folks.

In process of applying to WA like pretty much half of the population of the UK police service

I am currently a Sergeant and although I know, and more than happy with the fact that I will be going as a 5th year Constable I was just wondering if anyone can provide any advice on the WA promotion process to the next ranks. Obviously they have different grades of Constables etc.

Has anyone transferred at the rank of Sergeant or know of anyone who has? Did your previous UK rank put you in a good position for future promotion?
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

jmha88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Sergeants and WA Promotion process :)

As i understand it, 5th year PC or First Class Constable have the opportunity to apply for promotion to Sergeant. Or continue to work as a first class Const for 4 years and attain rank of Senior Constable and then apply for role as Senior Sergeant.

My old Insp went over and they pretty much told him you will be starting afresh so there is still equal opportunity for promotion for those who became attested the year before etc.

Its by no means very detailed but there you go!
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

DM1432 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Sergeants and WA Promotion process :)

you can apply for Sgt if you are a 1st class or senior constable, they advertise once a year, you apply if pass paper sift, through to interview and short exam, then you wait at the end if you are competitive then you go in the rank pool for Sgt. Jobs get advertised to the "pool" you put in and may or may not get it, if no one puts in you may get a "formal offer" (in other words take it or leave the pool). Your examples really come from here, not really interested in your previous life skills (sorry to be blunt), if you meet the standard then you can achieve that rank and above as many have done since arriving. No one has to my knowledge came in from the UK at Sgt rank.