Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

The UK Police Pension Trap

The UK Police Pension Trap

Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

grandad90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The UK Police Pension Trap

I would like very much to move abroad and continue my career as a Police officer, not necessarily on a permanent basis but maybe with a return to the UK some years later. The thought of coming out of my 11% final salary pension with no option of getting back into it does make me think about a few things. I really want to get out of this frame of mind however and not fall into the pension trap as my length of service increases especially as I only have 3 years service at the moment anyway!

I'd rather live for now and not worry too much about my retirement at 52 years (I might not even reach that age!) as long as im acrruing some sort of pension then thats ok. Just wondering how many other people have been affected by this, especially those of you with longer service where the decision would be a lot harder.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The UK Police Pension Trap

Good grief grandad! Only 3 years in? Go off and have a life !
Seriously, at your length of service, you can't live your whole career purely for your pension - you have plenty of time to plot, plan and scheme, rob a bank and get sorted for retirement. If you want to continue in policing, then great - just don't rob the bank ....

Now if you were, say, 16-20 years in (like a certain person sitting not too far away from me right now), then yes - do some serious sums. You haven't said which bit of the world tickles your fancy, but no doubt there is someone, somewhere on this forum that can guide you to some experts for that nation.

The UK police pension is comparatively good - as long as you live long enough to reap the full benefits.

I don't think, with 3 years service, you should consider yourself 'trapped' at all. Now, off you go and change that mindset grandad ....
Old Feb 9th 2008, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Damski is an unknown quantity at this point

Im assuming your pension is with capita under the old scheme?? Read your policy details carefully then read your forces policy document about career breaks. they threatened me that if i went away for a few years then i would come back on a new pension. this was bollox. in my force a career break puts your career in suspended animation for 1- 5 years. you come back exactly where you left off (pay/pension/etc) you probably wont come back tho!!!!

Dont get too bolshy with the job tho, as sum nobber will just reject your application for a career break. good luck!!!!
Old Feb 9th 2008, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Damski is an unknown quantity at this point

my only other advice is that if youre force policy document isnt available on your forces intranet, do some discreet enqiuries with a trusted source at your HR.