Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

UK Police Officer Wanting the AMERICAN DREAM

UK Police Officer Wanting the AMERICAN DREAM

Old Mar 10th 2006, 5:58 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Police Officer Wanting the AMERICAN DREAM

MARRY.

Really.

Plenty of girls to choose from.

If you can survive a relationship with an American woman then you can probably handle living in America.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

taylorchat is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not a Police Officer, but did live in the US, married to a US citizen, I have a child of 3, never been able to effectively trace him, a beligerent and seemingly hostile race whom since 9/11 are paranoid of 'foreigners', I am now very proud of the efforts of British Police Offeres here, and would only say my only 'American Dream', was actually a nightmare, the Canadians I met were very pleasant, but sorry America, best advice plan a journey to gain professional experience as far away from that confused nation. Or get an attorney [plus shrink as anyone could benefit from that after being subjcted to their odd ways!], prior to departure. I did work in security though and would say that they seemed more responsible than the often amateurish 'police forces'!
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by taylorchat
I am not a Police Officer, but did live in the US, married to a US citizen, I have a child of 3, never been able to effectively trace him, a beligerent and seemingly hostile race whom since 9/11 are paranoid of 'foreigners', I am now very proud of the efforts of British Police Offeres here, and would only say my only 'American Dream', was actually a nightmare, the Canadians I met were very pleasant, but sorry America, best advice plan a journey to gain professional experience as far away from that confused nation. Or get an attorney [plus shrink as anyone could benefit from that after being subjcted to their odd ways!], prior to departure. I did work in security though and would say that they seemed more responsible than the often amateurish 'police forces'!

hiya and welcome....

yep the british bobbies do a great job, i'm proud of them

sorry about your boy.....you could always start a thread and ask if anyone knows how you trace peeps here....good luck

wow this thread is yrs old.
Old May 14th 2007, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

wildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SDER
Right, California is one of the very few states that hire non citizens to be officers. However, you will need to eventually gain your citizenship
Hi, just wanted to add onto your post. I very much wanted to be a cop but realized that I was not eligible as I am not a citizen. However, the Arizona Department of Corrections accepts applications from permanent residents. Once you become a citizen, you can then apply with the police/sheriff's office.

To the OP, if you cannot be hired because you have a green card but are not a citizen yet, try with the Department of Corrections. It is still a Law Enforcement position, though your law enforcement powers are pretty much confined to that one institution, viz. prison.
Old May 14th 2007, 8:36 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wildestkabs
Hi, just wanted to add onto your post. I very much wanted to be a cop but realized that I was not eligible as I am not a citizen. However, the Arizona Department of Corrections accepts applications from permanent residents. Once you become a citizen, you can then apply with the police/sheriff's office.

To the OP, if you cannot be hired because you have a green card but are not a citizen yet, try with the Department of Corrections. It is still a Law Enforcement position, though your law enforcement powers are pretty much confined to that one institution, viz. prison.
Why are you replying to a 2 + year old posting ....
Old May 14th 2007, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

wildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ray
Why are you replying to a 2 + year old posting ....
I didn't even notice it was 2+ years old. My response was based on the post immediately before mine, which was made on the 20th of February, 2007.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

da22a is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by napes
Hello mate,

Im an ex Met PC who's over here on a green card and now back on the Job over here in the states...

It is a popular rumour that you cant be a cop here unless your a USC - Trust me ive done a LOT of research into this...There are 16 states where you can become a cop here on just a green card, the rest require us citizenship.

Of course the only problem is getting a green card in the 1st place.

I do know a couple of US departments that WILL sponsor you for your green card, BUT you HAVE TO HAVE a degree... doesnt matter if your billy big bollocks back home, they want a degree to sponsor you - no exceptions.

PM me and ill point you in the right direction.

M

P.S. - Dont loose faith, it can be done... darn hard and expensive! but it can be done!
Hi, I'm a police officer in the Met, and lived in Texas for a while, when I tried to find out if I could transfer I got told I had to be a citizen, do you know which states and departments allow us to transfer over?
Cheers mate
Old Jul 18th 2007, 5:36 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by da22a
Hi, I'm a police officer in the Met, and lived in Texas for a while, when I tried to find out if I could transfer I got told I had to be a citizen, do you know which states and departments allow us to transfer over?
Cheers mate
And you replying to a 16 month old posting ..
Contrary to what he said .. there are no transfers ..to the US ..
Old Jul 18th 2007, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

scatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by da22a
Cheers mate

Hi

Welcome to britishexpats and congrats on your first posting

My husband was in the met and tried to get a transfer to the usa, it does depend on the state and yes mostly have to be a citzen

You may wish to contact the NY police department as I think they only require you to be a green card holder, not sure
Old Dec 16th 2007, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

danmay is an unknown quantity at this point

hey napes, i read your reply on joining a us police force. i have a degree and been with the mod police for 3 years but wanting a change and move to america. I hope you might be able to point me in the right direction

cheers

Dan May
Old Dec 20th 2007, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Cumbrian will become famous soon enoughCumbrian will become famous soon enough

I'm here because I've previously done what one person wrote above; I married an American lady. (That would be a bit drastic, though, if you only wanted to migrate!)

In the business I am building, here in NY State, we are actively trying to 'import' ex UK traffic police officers to work as proper advanced driving instructors, but we are still battling with the first such attempt, even though he has the highest relevant skills (British Police 'Class One') for which there is not remotely any American equivalent.

Have you considered going north of the border? The RCMP, Toronto or Vancouver could certainly be worth contemplation, and I believe that is a much easier option.

(I'm lucky in that I live less than 40 minutes from the border so I can dive over it more or less anytime I need a dose of sanity!
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 4:10 pm
Banned

aquarterpounderwithcheese has a brilliant futureaquarterpounderwithcheese has a brilliant futureaquarterpounderwithcheese has a brilliant futureaquarterpounderwithcheese has a brilliant futureaquarterpounderwithcheese has a brilliant futureaquarterpounderwithcheese has a brilliant future

Used to be a criminal - do I need any special green cards and stuff to go to America and be a criminal there?