Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

UK / British recruitment by Canadian Police

UK / British recruitment by Canadian Police

Old Apr 15th 2008, 2:14 pm
Beam me up Ozzy

benplows is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK / British recruitment by Canadian Police

Hi,

I'm a UK police officer interested in emmigrating. I've been looking into Australia, but have received a lot of negative responses re SAPOL, and no other forces are recruiting Brits.

Does anybody have any experience of applying to the Canadian forces?

I know Calgary Police suspended their recruitment drive on 01st April - are any other Canadian forces actively recruiting us Brits?

I've contacted Vancouver Police, only to find that they require applicants to have work visas already - is this the case for all the Canadian forces?

Does anybody know when Calgary will start recruiting again?

Any help/advice from applicants, immigrants, locals, etc... would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ben
Old Apr 15th 2008, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK / British recruitment by Canadian Police

Originally Posted by benplows
Hi,

I'm a UK police officer interested in emmigrating. I've been looking into Australia, but have received a lot of negative responses re SAPOL, and no other forces are recruiting Brits.

I know Calgary Police suspended their recruitment drive on 01st April - are any other Canadian forces actively recruiting us Brits?

I've contacted Vancouver Police, only to find that they require applicants to have work visas already - is this the case for all the Canadian forces?

Any help/advice from applicants, immigrants, locals, etc... would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ben
Try Edmonton Police Service...they are not actively recruiting in the UK but they do still offer the PNP for UK experienced Officers..
Old Apr 15th 2008, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

bishy613 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ben,

Yes unfortunatley Calgary suspended their recruitment on 1st April. I'd recommend sending them your CV/Resume which they will keep on file and then contact you when they decided to proceed with international recruits. They have not given any update on when they will resume, i think it's far too soon.

Edmonton are the other Canadian police service to recruit brits. Their are a few people on here who have gone there, but as you will probably read the vast majority have gone for Calgary.

Read the forum their is a whole shed load of advice and details of peoples experience on here.

HTH Jon
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ben - All Canadian forces currently require that you are either a Canadian citizen or that you already have permanent residence visas before they will hire you.

The exceptions to this in recent months have been Edmonton and Calgary which were using something called a Provincial Nominee Programme (ie, the province of Alberta nominates you as someone in a (specifically listed) job where there are shortages, and this process eventually leads to the hallowed permanent residence visa). The door is not completely shut with Calgary but they are no longer actively seeking out UK applications. You can still send them your resume - and they will decide after that if they would like you to complete the full application. The PNP process has been taking on average 18 months. If Calgary are not using this route anymore (for the timebeing) then a timescale to get out here will be considerably increased.

Your options currently are to try Edmonton in Alberta - or to send in a Skilled Worker Application for Permanent Residence to the Canadian High Commission (if you qualify on points) and to wait approx 4-5 years which is the current processing time !! Have a look at www.cic.gc.ca

One other option is to contact any and all city police forces across the country that interest you - and enquire whether they will assist you get a work permit. You can't go and get one yourself - they have to apply for one for you and this is the sticking point. They have to prove they cannot get a Canadian to fill the post (and so far, no other forces are yet admitting to having any recruitment problems). I suspect this route is highly unlikely, but you never know. There have been some work permits issued by Vancouver but no-one has ever come back to us on the forum to confirm how this was done.

To summarise (as things currently stand) , in order to swear in an officer, they must be a Permanent Resident so I still do not understand how the work permit route can be useful because a work permit is only that - a legal ability to work here - but not acceptance as a Permanent Resident!!

I may not have helped, or cheered you up, but I hope that clarifies things ....
Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of

Hi,

Thanks in advance,
Ben
Try

www.joineps.ca

Cheers
Old Apr 17th 2008, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

faraday is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ben

The above post are fairly comprehensive. Edmonton and Calgary are the only departments you are likely to get on the PNP. I have been contacting forces in BC and the all require Permanent Residency status. Most Canadian forces are struggling to recruit enough officers and they have recently received additional funding to increase officers on the street. Obviously if there is increased pressure to recruit and they fail to recruit locally they may start using the PNP. The only other alternative is a four year wait!

Cheers
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 7:23 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bishy613
Hi Ben,

but as you will probably read the vast majority have gone for Calgary.

HTH Jon
i wonder why.
don't listen to pompeyboy, he is mid brainwashing and should be forgiven.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rae
i wonder why.
don't listen to pompeyboy, he is mid brainwashing and should be forgiven.
He is right...call me in 9 weeks and ask me again..
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:05 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pompeyboy
thats more like it. resist, resist.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:18 pm

minihaha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rae
thats more like it. resist, resist.

pmsl
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:42 pm
rae
Settled.

sorry i meant to say as well, all the best for the next bit, you are on the crest of the hill mate, like to tell you its all downhill from here, but its not, you've got a break for a few weeks, they crank it up again for a week or so aorund 16, then you'll be fine. if anything i found the last bit to be harder just cause i knew the finish line was in sight so the BS seemed even more BSish than at the start, if you know what i mean
Old Apr 24th 2008, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rae
sorry i meant to say as well, all the best for the next bit, you are on the crest of the hill mate, like to tell you its all downhill from here, but its not, you've got a break for a few weeks, they crank it up again for a week or so aorund 16, then you'll be fine. if anything i found the last bit to be harder just cause i knew the finish line was in sight so the BS seemed even more BSish than at the start, if you know what i mean
10-4
Old Apr 24th 2008, 3:21 pm
rae
Settled.

10-4
oh good grief talk proper english man init.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 3:23 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by ann m
Hi Ben - All Canadian forces currently require that you are either a Canadian citizen or that you already have permanent residence visas before they will hire you.

The exceptions to this in recent months have been Edmonton and Calgary which were using something called a Provincial Nominee Programme (ie, the province of Alberta nominates you as someone in a (specifically listed) job where there are shortages, and this process eventually leads to the hallowed permanent residence visa). The door is not completely shut with Calgary but they are no longer actively seeking out UK applications. You can still send them your resume - and they will decide after that if they would like you to complete the full application. The PNP process has been taking on average 18 months. If Calgary are not using this route anymore (for the timebeing) then a timescale to get out here will be considerably increased.

Your options currently are to try Edmonton in Alberta - or to send in a Skilled Worker Application for Permanent Residence to the Canadian High Commission (if you qualify on points) and to wait approx 4-5 years which is the current processing time !! Have a look at www.cic.gc.ca

One other option is to contact any and all city police forces across the country that interest you - and enquire whether they will assist you get a work permit. You can't go and get one yourself - they have to apply for one for you and this is the sticking point. They have to prove they cannot get a Canadian to fill the post (and so far, no other forces are yet admitting to having any recruitment problems). I suspect this route is highly unlikely, but you never know. There have been some work permits issued by Vancouver but no-one has ever come back to us on the forum to confirm how this was done.

To summarise (as things currently stand) , in order to swear in an officer, they must be a Permanent Resident so I still do not understand how the work permit route can be useful because a work permit is only that - a legal ability to work here - but not acceptance as a Permanent Resident!!

I may not have helped, or cheered you up, but I hope that clarifies things ....
hijack.
is he out on his own then yet ann or what. i will be next week, not sure if i can sit in timmies for 12hrs on my own though, does he want to meet in red deer?
Old Apr 24th 2008, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
hijack.
is he out on his own then yet ann or what. i will be next week, not sure if i can sit in timmies for 12hrs on my own though, does he want to meet in red deer?
Nope - another 4 weeks I think ('cos there was that 7 week delay when he got injured). He's a Starbucks Hot Chocolate fan at the moment

He's living the dream .....

Good luck next week - you sure you're qualified to be let loose yet? - you don't have much experience you know .....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.