Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

U.K. Officer to the U.S. transferring skills

U.K. Officer to the U.S. transferring skills

Old Jan 5th 2017, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

CheshireCopper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default U.K. Officer to the U.S. transferring skills

Hi all, this is my first post after discovering the site this evening so please go easy on me. Ha ha.

My wife is currently training to become a nurse within the uk and we plan on moving over to Tampa area of Florida after she qualifies. We have family who are US citizens - they are currently in the process of sponsoring us for our green cards. Quite a lengthy process, so we are also looking at heading down the work green card route also.

So, in the meantime I have to decide where I am going to head with my career. As an officer with 13+ years experience on the front line (advanced driver with traffic experience) I'm scratching my head when it comes to possible career choices in the US. I'm hoping my experience will put in a good position for a possible civvie role within law enforcement, but there is also the question of whether I should re-train in something completely different (mechanical engineering comes to mind). I have also considered gaining additional certification from my current force which would assist in gainful employment when we me move over.

I have read that some have opted for the route if CSI and others have headed down the criminal analyst path.

My head is buzzing with ideas, but I was wondering if anyone had experienced something similar who might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

CC.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 9:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.K. Officer to the U.S. transferring skills

Given that (i) it isn't possible to be recruited directly as a police officer because you can't get a visa, and (ii) most police forces require you to be a US citizen to work as a police officer, there are very few people who will be able to help you, and no one on BE springs to mind.

Do you have a degree? Many police departments now require all recruits to have a bachelor's degree.

Also, which relative is sponsoring your wife for a green card? A parent sponsoring a child can take around 12 years, and sponsorship by a sibling takes even longer.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Also to add training in the UK as a nurse generally is doesn't meet US state requirements
Old Jan 6th 2017, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Yes, as I said above, I'm looking to go into a civilian role. I'm aware that US citizenship is required to be an officer over there after making enquiries a while back, hence why I asked about a civvie role.

The sponsorship is for me, and it's from my mother. We're already 3 years into that process, but, as you said, it may take a few more years, so we're now looking at the employment green card route. My mum spoke with an immigration lawyer yesterday who informed her that my wife would have no issues getting a green card as a nurse.

I don't have a bachelors (wasn't required when I joined!) but it's something I could consider over the next 3 years or so if needed. I have past experience in AutoCAD, which is why I'm considering something related to engineering.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 12:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CheshireCopper
Yes, as I said above, I'm looking to go into a civilian role. I'm aware that US citizenship is required to be an officer over there after making enquiries a while back, hence why I asked about a civvie role.

The sponsorship is for me, and it's from my mother. We're already 3 years into that process, but, as you said, it may take a few more years, so we're now looking at the employment green card route. My mum spoke with an immigration lawyer yesterday who informed her that my wife would have no issues getting a green card as a nurse.

I don't have a bachelors (wasn't required when I joined!) but it's something I could consider over the next 3 years or so if needed. I have past experience in AutoCAD, which is why I'm considering something related to engineering.
Unfortunately the immigration lawyer your mother spoke to doesn't appear to be familiar with the requirements for nursing in the US, and more specifically that nursing training in the UK does not usually meet the requirements to be a nurse in the US (IIRC nursing in the US requires training in four areas .... adult, geriatric, pediatric and .... ).

The problem arises because your wife won't get a job offer and visa unless she is qualified and she will find it difficult, though not impossible, to meet the qualification requirements if she isn't training in the US. At very least she will need to take exams that lead to a qualification recognized in the US. So at this point the best way forward for you both, if you wish to persue the employment route, is for your wife to explore the requirements for her to be allowed to work as a nurse in the US. Until then everything else is moot.

BTW I think your wife would end up with a H-1B visa, which would mean that you wouldn't be allowed to work (you'd be on an H-4 visa) unless/until your wife's employer apploed for green cards for you both), and also H-1B's are significantly oversubscribed each year, so there is a lottery to decide who gets offered a visa.

In the mean time, working towards getting a bachelor's degree would likely pay dividends for you when looking for work in the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 6th 2017 at 2:10 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Unfortunately the immigration lawyer your mother spoke to doesn't appear to be familiar with the requirements for nursing in the US, and more specifically that nursing training in the UK does not usually meet the requirements to be a nurse in the US (IIRC nursing in the US requires training in four areas .... adult, geriatric, pediatric and .... ).

The problem arises because your wife won't get a job offer and visa unless she is qualified and she will find it difficult, though not impossible, to meet the qualification requirements if she isn't training in the US. At very least she will need to take exams that lead to a qualification recognized in the US. So at this point the best way forward for you both, if you wish to persue the employment route, is for your wife to explore the requirements for her to be allowed to work as a nurse in the US. Until then everything else is moot.

BTW I think your wife would end up with a H-1B visa, which would mean that you wouldn't be allowed to work (you'd be on an H-4 visa) unless/until your wife's employer apploed for green cards for you both), and also H-1B's are significantly oversubscribed each year, so there is a lottery to decide who gets offered a visa.

In the mean time, working towards getting a bachelor's degree would likely pay dividends for you when looking for work in the US.
Generally nurses come under EB3 so would get green card, not often nurses go the H1b route. This comes from historical abuse from employers with low pay and working conditions
Old Jan 6th 2017, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Generally nurses come under EB3 so would get green card, not often nurses go the H1b route. ....
Agreed. I remembered that after I posted, but hadn't got back to correct my post.

The EB-3 will give CheshireCopper a green card immediately too, but will be slower to process than other visas - around 18mths-2 years, I believe.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Her degree covers adult, maternity, mother and baby, care of older people, paediatric, mental health etc, so no issues there. My sister is also a nurse in the US, and had no issues going over as a new graduate 3 years ago. The exam you are referring to is the NCLEX, which she has been studying for alongside her degree. That's the only additional requirement as far as I'm aware.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 3:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Her degree covers adult, maternity, mother and baby, care of older people, paediatric, mental health etc, so no issues there. My sister is also a nurse in the US, and had no issues going over as a new graduate 3 years ago. The exam you are referring to is the NCLEX, which she has been studying for alongside her degree. That's the only additional requirement as far as I'm aware.
What visa did she go on? I thought it was near impossible to get into the US as a nurse these days, unless on a family sponsored visa.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 3:34 pm

Good, that sounds like she has the bases covered.

We see a lot of dreamers come here to BE thinking it'll be a doddle to move over with some sort of nursing qualification.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
What visa did she go on? I thought it was near impossible to get into the US as a nurse these days, unless on a family sponsored visa.
My sister already had a green card after my mothers move over to the US in 2004. My sister remained in the U.K. But regularly travelled to the US, So kept her green card open. All she had to do was find employment after qualifying in the U.K., not only that she had to sit her NCLEX exam.

My mother on the other hand was sponsored by a nursing agency / company on a two year work visa. She remained within the country after this time and has recently become a US citizen.

We've put quite of bit of time into researching visa requirements and from what we have discovered all should be ok once the wife has qualified. There are several companies who would gladly sponsor her to move over to the US. The only tricky part is waiting for the green card application to go through.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Good, that sounds like she has the bases covered.

We see a lot of dreamers come here to BE thinking it'll be a doddle to move over with some sort of nursing qualification.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

powersmurf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, this is my first post after discovering the site this evening so please go easy on me. Ha ha.

My wife is currently training to become a nurse within the uk and we plan on moving over to Tampa area of Florida after she qualifies. We have family who are US citizens - they are currently in the process of sponsoring us for our green cards. Quite a lengthy process, so we are also looking at heading down the work green card route also.

So, in the meantime I have to decide where I am going to head with my career. As an officer with 13+ years experience on the front line (advanced driver with traffic experience) I'm scratching my head when it comes to possible career choices in the US. I'm hoping my experience will put in a good position for a possible civvie role within law enforcement, but there is also the question of whether I should re-train in something completely different (mechanical engineering comes to mind). I have also considered gaining additional certification from my current force which would assist in gainful employment when we me move over.

I have read that some have opted for the route if CSI and others have headed down the criminal analyst path.

My head is buzzing with ideas, but I was wondering if anyone had experienced something similar who might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

CC.

Hello mate,

Wanted to give some advice from someone who is ex-job and come over to the US. Firstly, your experience won't be worth anything. I've got almost 6 years under my belt on response and thought it would be easy to get a job when I first moved here, no chance. When we were living in San Fran I got in touch with a Met DC with over 14 years in who was also living there on a career break. He also had the same issues. Couldn't get any decent job at all.

If you want to do a civilian role, you could look at becoming a dispatcher. There are other jobs out there as well which you could apply for, but remember you are up against veterans which rightly so, get priority. The other frustrating thing is that you will have to take a bunch of tests, and when you pass you will sit on an "eligibility" list. This was my experience of California and Nevada. Florida might be very different. I do not want to put you off, just want to let you know what you are getting into.

If you are willing to go outside of Florida, there are now a number of forces that will take you with your Green card (if you want to be a PC out here). They are:

Alaska
Hawaii
Illinois (Only in Chicago)
Colorado -
Lousiana

There maybe some others, but that is all I can think about at the moment.

I would suggest getting a profile on LinkedIn. Beef it up and start networking with various law enforcement people in and around Flordia. Start building those connections now so that when you do get over here, that might help.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old Mar 12th 2017, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

kate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by powersmurf
Hello mate,

Wanted to give some advice from someone who is ex-job and come over to the US. Firstly, your experience won't be worth anything. I've got almost 6 years under my belt on response and thought it would be easy to get a job when I first moved here, no chance. When we were living in San Fran I got in touch with a Met DC with over 14 years in who was also living there on a career break. He also had the same issues. Couldn't get any decent job at all.

If you want to do a civilian role, you could look at becoming a dispatcher. There are other jobs out there as well which you could apply for, but remember you are up against veterans which rightly so, get priority. The other frustrating thing is that you will have to take a bunch of tests, and when you pass you will sit on an "eligibility" list. This was my experience of California and Nevada. Florida might be very different. I do not want to put you off, just want to let you know what you are getting into.

If you are willing to go outside of Florida, there are now a number of forces that will take you with your Green card (if you want to be a PC out here). They are:

Alaska
Hawaii
Illinois (Only in Chicago)
Colorado -
Lousiana

There maybe some others, but that is all I can think about at the moment.

I would suggest getting a profile on LinkedIn. Beef it up and start networking with various law enforcement people in and around Flordia. Start building those connections now so that when you do get over here, that might help.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Hi powersmurf, this is really interested thanks for this info. My boyfriend is ex MET police officer. You talk about doing a civilian role in the US like 911 call dispatcher. We thought about this, but didn't think it was possible. Or is it!? :-) Is the eb3 visa an option for him? We are originally from UK, currently living in Canada.

Thought I'd just try my luck and ask. And if anyone can answer would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

powersmurf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kate8kate0
Hi powersmurf, this is really interested thanks for this info. My boyfriend is ex MET police officer. You talk about doing a civilian role in the US like 911 call dispatcher. We thought about this, but didn't think it was possible. Or is it!? :-) Is the eb3 visa an option for him? We are originally from UK, currently living in Canada.

Thought I'd just try my luck and ask. And if anyone can answer would be appreciated. Thanks.
Hello.

If your boyfriend has a green card then yes, he can work do any government job, but depending on state, he will not be allowed to be a Police Officer (as per my previous post). That said if he has a green card he could do dispatch anywhere. He would have to apply, do the tests etc. You can do any civilian role really.

Hope that helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.