Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Success rate for Canadian Police applicants?

Success rate for Canadian Police applicants?

Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future
Default Success rate for Canadian Police applicants?

Just a general question really as to whether anyone knows the success rate of UK applicants to the Canadian Police Forces? There seem to be quite a few people talking about getting to the testing stage but does anyone know how many are weeded out either at the application form or whilst having the various tests/interviews?

On here it seems most people that post seem fairly successful but I know this is not the barometer for how many get through.

Tim
Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Success rate for Canadian Police applicants?

I'm going to say about 50% for Calgary.

The polygraph and the fitness tests are usually the stumbling blocks.

There are a lot of usernames on this forum that have come and gone over the past year or two and we rarely get to hear why .... not something people like to discuss I guess.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future

Thats what I thought as if people are unsuccessful they don't seem to want to talk about it. Why do so many people fall down on the polygraph? I'm guessing virtually everyone who applies has done one or two dodgy things in their life including myself! If you put anything down on the application that they definitely don't like then you won't even get invited for testing I guess.

Tim
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tim010
Thats what I thought as if people are unsuccessful they don't seem to want to talk about it. Why do so many people fall down on the polygraph? I'm guessing virtually everyone who applies has done one or two dodgy things in their life including myself! If you put anything down on the application that they definitely don't like then you won't even get invited for testing I guess.

Tim
Hi, Dont know if you have used the search tool or not, loads of advice on there from previous threads though. Everyone says cough to everything. As long as you have done nothing too serious you should be fine. Honesty and integrity test i believe.

Good luck.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

If you put anything down on the application that they definitely don't like then you won't even get invited for testing I guess
That's true !!

But also people forget some things, and the questioning is simple but clever and you are given several opportunities to re-think your answers and ensure you have put everything down.
And if your purposefully omitted stuff they are pretty good at getting at that info too, and even if they don't, but still don't believe you, they'll fail you (and that's a 'life' ban so you can't try again). Not saying it's not 'beatable' but I don't think it's worth trying!

Also - they have major integrity issues, and they are also looking at stuff you have done recently and/or while you have been a police officer. Going home with job pens or batteries isn't the end of the world, but 'acquiring' other items might be. Things you have done or seen, witnessed or ignored might also be an issue. Substances smoked, inhaled, drunk or otherwise can also be a stumbling block if recent (as opposed to 'I did canabis at Uni').

And the fitness test ? Well, that's a common point for many, not just the Brits. Some people are able to schedule a re-test before they fly home, others are not. Some come back and try it again, and others don't.

I've heard of one person 'failing' the psych test - not sure if he appealed or not.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul5455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Success rate for Canadian Police applicants?

i have heard that people fail mostly on the polygraph.
as said before, cough to everything in the personal disclosure form. if they dont like what they read, they wont invite you over for testing. this way, you wont waste thousands on the flights and hotel bills to go out there!
i quote 'we dont want angels'. all those skeletons in the closest are life lessons (as long as its nothing too moody).
those sweets you stole as a kid have moulded you to who you are today!
as a general rule its not crime within 5 years, or as a copper.
they dont like drink driving, whether you get caught or not.
you cant train yourslf for the poly. just be honest from the start.
a lot of the test is the 35 year legend of homicide unit. i thought he was better than the machine. his david blaine skills are amazing!
personally, i found the fitness test hard!
the altitude is tough, and the test is done in the CPS gym which is 2 floors below ground level and an artificial air, which is hot and dry.
i struggled with the fitness ill be first to admit that!
but its something you can work towards dont not impossible! as long as you put the effort in you will be fine!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:47 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul5455
ithey dont like drink driving, whether you get caught or not.

i coughed to drink driving, a one off when i was around 21yrs old, 6yrs before i joined the job. they discussed it, i explained the reason behind it, made it quite clear i never did it before or since, and that was that. timing and honesty are everything, if it was 12mths before my application, granted it would have been different, also, if i had not coughed it at disclosure and it had come up on the poly it would have been over for good.
the point being, honesty is everything on the disclosure form, they will lead you through it from there.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:51 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Just a general question really as to whether anyone knows the success rate of UK applicants to the Canadian Police Forces? There seem to be quite a few people talking about getting to the testing stage but does anyone know how many are weeded out either at the application form or whilst having the various tests/interviews?

On here it seems most people that post seem fairly successful but I know this is not the barometer for how many get through.

Tim
there were 6 uk lads inc me when we did our physical, 1 failed and was binned, that was that. i believe since then with the physical getting easier most if not all pass, but its close, the last lot were all around the limit, one failed re did it and passed. i think generally the test is underestimated as one of the lads i spoke said the general consensus after the test was that is was harder than expected and they wished they had trained more.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

gary97 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rae
i coughed to drink driving, a one off when i was around 21yrs old, 6yrs before i joined the job. they discussed it, i explained the reason behind it, made it quite clear i never did it before or since, and that was that. timing and honesty are everything, if it was 12mths before my application, granted it would have been different, also, if i had not coughed it at disclosure and it had come up on the poly it would have been over for good.
the point being, honesty is everything on the disclosure form, they will lead you through it from there.

rae is right, even i think that everyone should be honest at their polygraphy. even if someone try to hide, they can definitely catch you. So its better to tell them all honestly, and telling them everything truth can help..
Old Mar 4th 2009, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

malcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know the age limit for applying? Recently retired from UK force at 51.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by malcoltom
Recently retired from UK force at 51.
Enjoy it !
Old Mar 5th 2009, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of

There isn't an age limit!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 6:47 am
rae
Settled.

well you'll be the oldest 'recruit' in EPS history thats for certain. If you can take the crap they dish out from someone who could potentially be your grandson, let alone your son, then you are a far far better man than me sir for even contemplating this.