Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Should I stay or should I go? What is policing in Ozz like?

Should I stay or should I go? What is policing in Ozz like?

Old Aug 7th 2011, 2:05 am
Just Joined

charchar1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Should I stay or should I go? What is policing in Ozz like?

In a slightly unusual situation at mo. basically I took a career break from British police (BTP) for a year while I 'try out' Australia. I already have permanent residency as my partner is Australian.
I cunningly just bought a house - I like to make desicions with no forethought!- my partner is doing really well and has a well paid job while I am completely unable to make up my mind.
I find I miss policing more than i thought I would but as there is no PACE programme running in Ozz I would have to apply from the beginning which has two problems 1. I might not pass, 2. They can place me anywhere in Queensland (bye bye house and husband)
Or I could go back to the UK for another year and work the Olympics and hopefully get it out of my system.
To help me make an informed decision can anyone give me a gerneral idea of what policing is like in Ozz Is it all the same top heavy management, figures obsession and mad paperwork? Will I spend a lot of time on my own? (I get very bored of my own company) Is there a life/work balance?
Help! In Tarot cards I am the hanged man..!
Old Aug 7th 2011, 8:31 am
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all
Default Re: Should I stay or should I go? What is policing in Ozz like?

Originally Posted by charchar1
In a slightly unusual situation at mo. basically I took a career break from British police (BTP) for a year while I 'try out' Australia. I already have permanent residency as my partner is Australian.
I cunningly just bought a house - I like to make desicions with no forethought!- my partner is doing really well and has a well paid job while I am completely unable to make up my mind.
I find I miss policing more than i thought I would but as there is no PACE programme running in Ozz I would have to apply from the beginning which has two problems 1. I might not pass, 2. They can place me anywhere in Queensland (bye bye house and husband)
Or I could go back to the UK for another year and work the Olympics and hopefully get it out of my system.
To help me make an informed decision can anyone give me a gerneral idea of what policing is like in Ozz Is it all the same top heavy management, figures obsession and mad paperwork? Will I spend a lot of time on my own? (I get very bored of my own company) Is there a life/work balance?
Help! In Tarot cards I am the hanged man..!
Some things are better, some things are worse, i could right pages about practices and procedures but really it means nothing, as what is good / bad for one person is not neccesarily good / bad for another. The job is the job wherever you are in the world, i would suggest if you move to Oz, the right reason to make the move would be for a lifestyle choice, in that it offers an alternative lifestyle to the UK.

I am QPS so feel free to PM me and i will try to assist, i came in on the PACE programme, personally i would not join under the PROVE programme, as you would be starting right back at square one. At least PACE gave some recognition of prior service, so within a year or so you could get your Senior Connie stripes and on a reasnable pay band. If you do the PROVE programme you are looking at five years before you get your Senior Connie stripes and quite a low wage for five years.

If you had the option of the PACE programme i would reccomend taking the plunge, but with only the PROVE programme as an option, for the reasons cited i would look at WAPOL or SAPOL or a force which has a lateral entry programme.

I was at the academy recently and bumped into some expereinced coppers who were doing the full PROVE programme and i felt really sorry for them, it would be painful.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 2:08 am
Just Joined

Thanks Baz,
I think you are right and starting again under the PROVE scheme would be really frustrating, I think it all did my head in the first time round!
I might have to cross my fingers for PACE to open up again; sadly I don't really have the option to go to SA or WA as my husband works here in Queensland. In fact the reason I moved to Ozz was so we could live together full time (he couldn't take the English winters).
Guess I will have to enjoy the delights the 'city' of Gladstone offers for a bit longer - the supermarkets open weekends now so the excitement never stops!!!
Old Aug 14th 2011, 12:18 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Charchar

Just popped in to say welcome to BE.

My oh my what a dilemma you are in, and one that only you can really decide.

How many years did you serve in the UK police? More importantly how long have you been out of the UK police?
I ask that because things are rapidly changing in the UK police at the moment. In fact every day some more cutbacks happen, so if you have been gone for any length of time, you may find it quite different.

If you haven't already done so, check out our Australia forum, which is full of good ole expats chatting about anything and everything, but is also a mine of information on all things OZ. You will probably find som Brits resident in your neighbourhood on there as well.

In the meantime, good luck with whatever you decide to do

Dread - x
Old Aug 15th 2011, 3:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the well wishes Dreadsoc.
Only been out of the force for about 8 months and can go back in March if i like; mind you I do hear from collegues that there is more to do with less of them to do it (especially now!)
I am hoping things will work themselves out eventually - mind you I was having a nightmare last night about interviewing someone and I couldn't remember the caution for the life of me!! I have done this in real life but just mumbled it in Yorkshire and explained after!!
x
Old Aug 15th 2011, 10:40 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charchar1
Thanks for the well wishes Dreadsoc.
Only been out of the force for about 8 months and can go back in March if i like; mind you I do hear from collegues that there is more to do with less of them to do it (especially now!)
I am hoping things will work themselves out eventually - mind you I was having a nightmare last night about interviewing someone and I couldn't remember the caution for the life of me!! I have done this in real life but just mumbled it in Yorkshire and explained after!!
x
Ah that just makes you a 'proper copper' - we have all dreamt that one !!!

Try not to stress over it, we tend to find ourselves waking up one day having decided what to do - without actually realising how we got there, but knowing we have decided - strange but so true.

Dread - x
Old Aug 18th 2011, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

mr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of light

Hi I am at the qld police academy at the moment and graduate next Friday. Just to clear up a couple of things for you:

The qps will not be doing another pace program for the foreseeable future.

If you are an experienced copper then you have no choice but to go through the prove program BUT your previous service us recognised after 3 months on the road. The ex coppers on my course had a meeting and were told this.

I would have thought you would not have a problem staying in the area where you are as most people on the course got what they wanted.

I also would not worry about not passing. It's hard but you ooh get chucked out if you are a complete numpty.

And finally@ baz, we never had that drink!

John