Securing employment

Old Aug 8th 2007, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Desperatetomove is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Securing employment

Hi all,

How do I go about securing a job in Toronto so that I can apply for my work permit to get over there??
I am strugling to find employment sites on the net. I am currently a serving police officer in the uk.

Any ideas? help would be fantastic
Old Aug 9th 2007, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Securing employment

I'm guessing you are not considering applying to be a police officer ?

In which case, give us some more clues as to what you want to do/can do/are qualified to do, and you may probably get more assistance in the general Canada forum if you give them some more info to work on !
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Desperatetomove is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thank you for your reply, I do want to be a police officer but they have told me it would be easier to apply for the position once I am living in canada, I am interested in corporate security/bodyguard work or fraud investigation etc.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again.

I see that one of the main requirements by Toronto, like (probably) all Canadian forces, is that you must be a Canadian citizen or a Permanent Resident to qualify for appointment.

So my understanding would be that if you went over there on a Work Permit, you would still not be a Permanent Resident. As far as I know, the work permits only apply to a specific job, and you cannot move around on them (but get that clarified in the Immigration Section of this forum). Your employer assists in getting you the Permit, and you are then tied to that employer. But in the meantime, I think you would still need to have submitted an application for a Permanent Residency Visa (most people go in via the Skilled Worker route) to run concurrently whilst you were working over there - or apply for it shortly after arriving as you can drum up more points by already having a job and/or Canadian experience. Have a look at the cic.gc.ca website which may clarify what I am waffling about.

Unfortunately, the Skilled Worker route to a visa is taking in the region of 4-5 years (which is becoming almost too much for most people to consider). So a quick way into Canada would be to secure employment under a work permit, but I do not think this will assist you applying for the police - because you will still not be a Permanent Resident.

A slightly quicker way, but still lengthy might be to use the Provincial Nominee Programme being used by Alberta currently and try and join Edmonton or Calgary Police (who are the only ones using this route at the mo). This would most likely still take 18months-two years but then you would be in Canada - complete their probation (18 months), then apply for a transfer to Toronto !! It would definitely be using and abusing the system !! but might knock a year or so off your timeline.

Otherwise, sorry, cannot help you ref law-enforcement type opportunities apart from looking up stuff, for example, on working.com or similar. The problem with the work permit route also, is that the Canadian employer needs to prove they could not get a Canadian to do the job first.

I sound like I am raining on your parade - sorry ! If you really, really want to go, you will get there somehow - depends on your level of patience. Otherwise, why Toronto? Try somewhere else first ?

Good luck
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Essex-Peeler is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a look at the posts under "CIC education points given for police service"