Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Royal Cayman Islands Police Vacancies

Royal Cayman Islands Police Vacancies

Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:57 am
Just Joined

youre-nicked is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Royal Cayman Islands Police Vacancies

Hi,
Ive just found this site whilst internet browsing on a very Q night shift.

I applied for a Sgt's post and had a phone interview just over a month ago, they told me that I would hear by Thu 17th Nov. As others said that came and passed, last week having decided that I hadnt got it I deleted all the various internet sites I found and moved on.

1st December I checked my e mail and found that they had offered me a post in the OSU, I have until the 8th to give them an answer. I think that I was possibly number 3 in the job offer list and the others above me have turned down the job, this would explain the 2 weeks later in them getting in touch with me and giving me a week to decide, or is it the fact that they are slow and busy?

I now have to decide on what to do, there is the negative aspects that I have been reading to consider and the fact that as many others I cant have a career break. It's a resign and go for it decision, with 20 years in my pension pot its a hard one. Ive been told that If I go I wouldnt get my pension till I was 65, if I dont go I retire in 10 years time and would get it at 55.

Ive also found dealing with the immigration side very frustrating, I emailed them a while ago and it took them 2 weeks to reply in a way that didnt answer the questions Id asked, as I have a wife and 3 kids I was told that I would only earn enough to bring 3 dependants with me, as such her who must be obeyed would have to get a job to earn enough so that we could all be together, then I read that it would be hard for her to get a job as the locals get first dibs, is that true?

They have given me a start date of the 1st feb, Ive got that much going through my head at the moment I think it will be very hard to get to sleep in the morning.

Ed
Old Dec 5th 2011, 7:13 am
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by youre-nicked
Hi,

I applied for a Sgt's post and had a phone interview just over a month ago, they told me that I would hear by Thu 17th Nov. As others said that came and passed, last week having decided that I hadnt got it I deleted all the various internet sites I found and moved on.

1st December I checked my e mail and found that they had offered me a post in the OSU, I have until the 8th to give them an answer. I think that I was possibly number 3 in the job offer list and the others above me have turned down the job, this would explain the 2 weeks later in them getting in touch with me and giving me a week to decide, or is it the fact that they are slow and busy?

I now have to decide on what to do, there is the negative aspects that I have been reading to consider and the fact that as many others I cant have a career break. It's a resign and go for it decision, with 20 years in my pension pot its a hard one. Ive been told that If I go I wouldnt get my pension till I was 65, if I dont go I retire in 10 years time and would get it at 55.

Ive also found dealing with the immigration side very frustrating, I emailed them a while ago and it took them 2 weeks to reply in a way that didnt answer the questions Id asked, as I have a wife and 3 kids I was told that I would only earn enough to bring 3 dependants with me, as such her who must be obeyed would have to get a job to earn enough so that we could all be together, then I read that it would be hard for her to get a job as the locals get first dibs, is that true?

They have given me a start date of the 1st feb, Ive got that much going through my head at the moment I think it will be very hard to get to sleep in the morning.

Ed
Youv'e got alot to lose mate.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 11:13 am
Just Joined

RSthetruth is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Ed
You're nicked:
There are some questions that need answering.
1) how old are the kids? Are they all at schooling age? A decent school will set you back some.
2) What work does your misses do? Great if she's an accountant or lawyer. Not so great if she's a receptionist. etc...
3) What contract have you been offered? 2 years, 4 years, what are your plans for when that ends?

For a 20 year pension you do have a lot to lose. It would be a bit different if you'd have, say, 5 years in and are in your mid 20's with NO dependents.

You'd be a brave man to do it.
What's your main motivation for this?
Old Dec 5th 2011, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for getting back to me:
My kids are 3,5 & 8

The wifey is a mangaer for Next retail.

They offered me 3 years with a possible extension.

Just spoke to the pension people and they would give me it at 60 which is a bit better than 65 but theres a big gap between a 20 and 30 year contribution.

When I saw the advert for the job it looked great and as it was about to end I didnt get chance to do a great deal of research, the choice of working in a beautiful island v's working in a cash strapped, demoralised Northern UK police force was at the time a no brainer.

Ive got another night shift to do so will run it by some of the old sweats and then have a proper chat with the wife tommorow. Ive only managed 5 hrs sleep off nights so its back to my pit for a bit.

Any thoughts are most welcome. Thanks.

Ed
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

I have a friend there with one child who is on the top rate constable pay. They find it hard to make ends meet sending that one child to school.

http://www.caymannewresident.com/page_id_13.html

Check out the above website which is essential reading. I think you're biggest outlay after your rent and utilities will be for schooling.

Beware when talking to old sweats, sunshine in the tropics is always better than a night shift in the winter in the UK. But it comes at a price.
Good luck.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Short fat Black rat is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for getting back to me:
My kids are 3,5 & 8

The wifey is a mangaer for Next retail.

They offered me 3 years with a possible extension.

Just spoke to the pension people and they would give me it at 60 which is a bit better than 65 but theres a big gap between a 20 and 30 year contribution.

When I saw the advert for the job it looked great and as it was about to end I didnt get chance to do a great deal of research, the choice of working in a beautiful island v's working in a cash strapped, demoralised Northern UK police force was at the time a no brainer.

Ive got another night shift to do so will run it by some of the old sweats and then have a proper chat with the wife tommorow. Ive only managed 5 hrs sleep off nights so its back to my pit for a bit.

Any thoughts are most welcome. Thanks.

Ed
Hiya "YN",
Well done on getting offered the post! Whatever you decide to do, at least you know you can still do an interview, even if it is over the phone!
I interviewed as well, over a month ago now, so if I do end up getting a call, I'll know I'm further down the list than you, and I guess I'll know the reason why, if everyone else has turned it down.
I'm not in to dis-similar a position to you. I've got just over 10 to do, and a wife and two young children, and to be honest I thought the same as you, then did the research and found this forum!
I've got to agree with RS, on the financials it'll look pretty tight for me, and I've only two nippers, and with 20 yrs in the pot ( and the imminent changes propsed by Hutton, with proposed protection for those with 10 yrs or less to do) its really going to have to be the right decision.
I went the full way through the process for calgary a few years ago and got offered a job, with the opportunity to transfer the pension rights across, but for reasons outside of my control I couldnt take it. If something like that cropped up again especially with a young family I'd jump at it even with 20 yrs in, unfortunately the rules have changed again and we've missed the boat, but an inside source has told me things 'may change' so that me be worth looking out for...
Sorry to witter on but it seems you're very much in the same boat as me, had a right guts full of the downward spiral of institutional support for policing in this country and the constant police bashing. I just want to do the job I joined to do, and get the best for my wife and kids to boot.
If you go for it, good luck, its a brave decision. but you gotta do whats right for you and the kids now. Someone once told me never regret the decisions you make, regret the ones you dont!
Old Dec 6th 2011, 2:40 am
Just Joined

Ive done the maths (the best i can!), they will give me my pension at 60 but I will end up losing well over 100K if I leave the scheme. Roughly I would get 11k a year at 60 with no lumper.

Taking aside the negative comments Ive read about the place that is a lot of money to give up, Ive worked hard these last 20yrs and I want to be comfortable in my retirement.

Its like some people on here have allready said its a young in service decision or for someone who has just retired and fancies a change. Had the opportunity been there for a career break I might have given it a go knowing that there was always a safety net if it all went wrong.

I saw the schooling fees and "that you are expected to put them in a private school", the cost's for everything just kept mounting.

All bar one of the old sweats think I should stay where I am, the one who thinks that i should go once had a weeks holiday there so I dont think he is looking at it the same way I am.

The only good thing is that im in the same role as you SFBR, as such Im not running about chasing my tail like the response officers, I could quite happily see out my remaining years on this department.

Going to turn down their kind offer tomorrow, I will continue to monitor these post's to see what happens next.

Ed
Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Ive done the maths (the best i can!), they will give me my pension at 60 but I will end up losing well over 100K if I leave the scheme. Roughly I would get 11k a year at 60 with no lumper.

Taking aside the negative comments Ive read about the place that is a lot of money to give up, Ive worked hard these last 20yrs and I want to be comfortable in my retirement.Its like some people on here have allready said its a young in service decision or for someone who has just retired and fancies a change. Had the opportunity been there for a career break I might have given it a go knowing that there was always a safety net if it all went wrong.

I saw the schooling fees and "that you are expected to put them in a private school", the cost's for everything just kept mounting.

All bar one of the old sweats think I should stay where I am, the one who thinks that i should go once had a weeks holiday there so I dont think he is looking at it the same way I am.

The only good thing is that im in the same role as you SFBR, as such Im not running about chasing my tail like the response officers, I could quite happily see out my remaining years on this department.

Going to turn down their kind offer tomorrow, I will continue to monitor these post's to see what happens next.

Ed
Nail on head YN.
Think of it this way: Cayman will still be there in 10 years time. You'll only have 1 child of schooling age. You could go then, supplement your pension with a salary from the RCIPS! If it goes belly up, who cares?
It's win-win.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Taking aside the negative comments Ive read about the place that is a lot of money to give up, Ive worked hard these last 20yrs and I want to be comfortable in my retirement.

Its like some people on here have allready said its a young in service decision or for someone who has just retired and fancies a change. Had the opportunity been there for a career break I might have given it a go knowing that there was always a safety net if it all went wrong.

Ed
Guess what Ive just found in my inbox.....
Old Dec 8th 2011, 7:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Short fat Black rat
Guess what Ive just found in my inbox.....
SFBR: You going to tell them where to go???
5th choice and all that

Seriously, you got a HUGE decision to make now!
Old Dec 8th 2011, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Well done m8, let us know what you decide, If you have the same chat as I did with the pension people I think I know what it will be, could always ask the cayman for loads more money, no sack,no racism towards me and no preferential treatment towards locals clauses to the contract.

Michelle from HR sent me a nice reply basically saying that she understood why I turned it down.

Ed
Old Dec 11th 2011, 11:57 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks

For what it's worth I am really glad to see that you are all really thinking of the long term and not just going for it on the grounds of being so pee'd off with UK policing at the moment, with very good reason I may add.

Like you're nicked has said (by the way welcome to BE YN), 20 years of pension pot is a lot to give up, especially if there is a longer wait to get the pension and there is no lump sum. I doubt you will get that recompense via RCIPS and it is a hell of a lot to lose on what is essentially a gamble.

Aside from just the financials and job security factors, it is vital to recognise that policing is very different there (think pre 1980s), you are not given the level of PPE you have in the uk, they have less modern equipment, and you will be treated less favourably than locals in every aspect.
Another factor for those with failies is to consider how your family will fit in - they too will be treated as 'foreigners'. The islands are insular and the Caymanians actually dislke integration with those from other Carribean islands let alone those from further afield.

I don't want to sound negative but these are all factors which need consideration, and I would hate to think that someone here gives up all thy have worked for and has not thought things through in enough depth.

Whatever you guys decide, I wish you all the very best.

Dread - x
Old Dec 13th 2011, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi folks

For what it's worth I am really glad to see that you are all really thinking of the long term and not just going for it on the grounds of being so pee'd off with UK policing at the moment, with very good reason I may add.

Like you're nicked has said (by the way welcome to BE YN), 20 years of pension pot is a lot to give up, especially if there is a longer wait to get the pension and there is no lump sum. I doubt you will get that recompense via RCIPS and it is a hell of a lot to lose on what is essentially a gamble.

Aside from just the financials and job security factors, it is vital to recognise that policing is very different there (think pre 1980s), you are not given the level of PPE you have in the uk, they have less modern equipment, and you will be treated less favourably than locals in every aspect.
Another factor for those with failies is to consider how your family will fit in - they too will be treated as 'foreigners'. The islands are insular and the Caymanians actually dislke integration with those from other Carribean islands let alone those from further afield.

I don't want to sound negative but these are all factors which need consideration, and I would hate to think that someone here gives up all thy have worked for and has not thought things through in enough depth.

Whatever you guys decide, I wish you all the very best.

Dread - x
Well taking everything on board, and having recently spoken to face to face with an officer whose been out with the RCIPS recently, I have sent a 'sensible' reply to HR.
Well, I hope its sensible. I think that it would be a great experience, for a while at least, regardless, of the negatives, besides, I've always considered myself to be a work to live rather than a live to work type of guy. So I'd like a positive experience for my family, and If I have to endure a difficult job for a couple og years then so be it!
I've asked if there is any room for negotiation on the salary, and whther there is any flexibility on their timelines. They need a response by tomorrow, and I wont get a decision on a career break until the end of january at the earliest. The job commences on the 1st Feb, so it's all a bit tight, on time and money.
If theres no way either can be moved, then I shall have to decine. I dont think I can risk going out with out career break, especially with dependants.
If they budge, then thats another discussion to have!
I sent a reply off yesterday morning, and their deadline is tomorrow, and I'm still awaiting their response. I would hope that they are 'discussing' my proposals. If not then maybe its for another time! Life's all about compromise!
Will keep you posted!
Old Dec 14th 2011, 9:01 am
Just Joined

I'm sure their response will be a good indication of how desperate they are to get the relevant people in the right positions.

I must admit, starting on 1st Feb is not a lot of time to get your house in order. Especially with xmas and new year around the corner. That’s unfair IMHO.

It only gives you January to get sorted. Thinking about it, if the job starts on 1st Feb, you’d probably leave a week prior to that, giving you a mere 3 weeks!!

It took me almost 3 months to get sorted what with getting house rented, property in storage, tidy up my affairs at work, and countless other personal issues to deal with.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 11:34 am
Just Joined

My lot wouldnt do career breaks if you are going to work somewhere (even though the Chief constables Inspector was allowed to do it)

You couldnt even lie as RCIPS would be checking on refrences, even with my lots lack of investigation skills I think I would be caught out. Im also not the kind of person to tell a porkie.

Be interesting to hear what their reply is, from my experience with them they are not the quickest at getting back in touch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.