Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Royal Cayman Islands Police and St Helena Police

Royal Cayman Islands Police and St Helena Police

Old May 25th 2010, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Mountie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Royal Cayman Islands Police and St Helena Police

St Helena is recruiting and looks good, same climate as Southern California but as it has no airport difficult to get to.

Anyone worked there as a copper?
Old May 26th 2010, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

ESTM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mountie
St Helena is recruiting and looks good, same climate as Southern California but as it has no airport difficult to get to.

Anyone worked there as a copper?
Hi Mountie, hope your well

I did see this advert a few years ago and it looks like such a weird place to move to, its in the middle of nowhere

I did send away for the info/application pack and the PC role is an on call role 24/7, money isnt too great either.

Sgt's and Inspectors position look more appealing though.

Have you heard anything back from RCIP? Good luck with your application.

Eddie
Old May 26th 2010, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

rocketman is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Royal Cayman Islands Police and St Helena Police

thanks for the info, I'll check out the options and hopefully by this time next year I'll be well on the way ..
Old May 26th 2010, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ESTM
Hi Mountie, hope your well

I did see this advert a few years ago and it looks like such a weird place to move to, its in the middle of nowhere

I did send away for the info/application pack and the PC role is an on call role 24/7, money isnt too great either.

Sgt's and Inspectors position look more appealing though.

Have you heard anything back from RCIP? Good luck with your application.

Eddie
Applied for a couple of positions with St Helena, but agree not for everyone but looks beautiful.
Not heard anything from RCIP but has only been 7 working days
Old May 27th 2010, 9:40 pm
Banned

SUN DRIED is an unknown quantity at this point

Can any ex or current RCIP let me know about cost of living with a RCIP salary? Best places to rent (not single shag pads but family homes).
Mountie are you planning on taking children with you?
Old May 28th 2010, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

IslandGal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by grandad90
I have emailed them to clarify the pay and position details, im guessing the cost of living cannot be that low if they have to import so much! I will update when I get a reply.
Hiya

I've not read through all the posts so don't know if you've got any more info on St Helena yet. The FM who said the wages were low here was right but as an ex-pat shipping out here, you will be on a higher wage. This is the cause of some negative feelings towards ex-pats by locals. Anyway, the cost of living here is relatively low, although islanders are really paid terribly low amounts even by that standard. Shopping costs vary due to the availability of items but accommodation is very cheap (and usually paid for if you have to come out here from the UK), and cigarettes and alcohol are cheaper than back home!

I am a very good friend of Geraint Davies, a current police sergeant here who came out in January when my partner and I did. If you get the job, you'll be working with him which will be one of the positive things about being here. Unfortunately, though not nearly as bad as the Cayman Islands sounds, there are down sides in addition to up sides to living here. The majority of islanders are, I think, welcoming, but there is an undercurrent of resentment and racism towards ex-pats. This is unfortunately fostered by a few ex-pats too, including, most notably, Mike Olssen who runs the St Helena Independent newspaper and Saint FM radio station.

Policing on the island is a frustrating experience, which I can let you know about in more detail if you get the job. I'm a little pushed for time at the moment. Geraint was attacked in the line of duty last week, just for being an ex-pat, and my partner Rob, working as an engineer here, was stabbed with a screwdriver in a local pub for the very same reason. Neither were seriously hurt but both sustained minor injury. Anyway, I'll get back to you with any questions you may have or feel free to email me.
Yvonne
Old May 28th 2010, 7:49 pm
Banned

Copout is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IslandGal
Hiya

I've not read through all the posts so don't know if you've got any more info on St Helena yet. The FM who said the wages were low here was right but as an ex-pat shipping out here, you will be on a higher wage. This is the cause of some negative feelings towards ex-pats by locals. Anyway, the cost of living here is relatively low, although islanders are really paid terribly low amounts even by that standard. Shopping costs vary due to the availability of items but accommodation is very cheap (and usually paid for if you have to come out here from the UK), and cigarettes and alcohol are cheaper than back home!

I am a very good friend of Geraint Davies, a current police sergeant here who came out in January when my partner and I did. If you get the job, you'll be working with him which will be one of the positive things about being here. Unfortunately, though not nearly as bad as the Cayman Islands sounds, there are down sides in addition to up sides to living here. The majority of islanders are, I think, welcoming, but there is an undercurrent of resentment and racism towards ex-pats. This is unfortunately fostered by a few ex-pats too, including, most notably, Mike Olssen who runs the St Helena Independent newspaper and Saint FM radio station.

Policing on the island is a frustrating experience, which I can let you know about in more detail if you get the job. I'm a little pushed for time at the moment. Geraint was attacked in the line of duty last week, just for being an ex-pat, and my partner Rob, working as an engineer here, was stabbed with a screwdriver in a local pub for the very same reason. Neither were seriously hurt but both sustained minor injury. Anyway, I'll get back to you with any questions you may have or feel free to email me.
Yvonne
Glad they were not seriously hurt IslandGal, same sort of thing happens here.

I've been attacked twice with a machette (unfortunately they're weapons everyone seems to carry and no enforcement is applied. Something to do with the culture of the Caribbean and chopping down jungle brush)

We've also had the local yardie bad boys take pot shots at us with rounds as powerfull as 9mm. Then again, a .22 would be bad enough if it hit you!!!
It's okay though, we've had a gun amnesty so I'm sure all the gangsta's will see sense and had over their weapons.....

It's not surprising a lot of the (law abiding) local folk call this place "mini-Jamaica".

Copout - 21 days and counting...
Old May 29th 2010, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

stenev is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Policing the world over is becoming more violent with fewer Officers for backup, increased gun crime and knifes on the streets etc . only 3 weeks ago my mate was stabbed at a domestic in peaceful rural Derbyshire. Luckily he's okay though.

So my point is where ever you police in the world there's increasing violence and gang trouble. When i returned to the UK in 2008 i was surprised how much less respect the police had on the UK streets than in Cayman.

Was thinking of re-naming the Derbyshire Dales as 'mini - jamacia' or maybe 'mini - Poland' - makes it sound a real bad-ass place then lol ! , but guess that be a complete mis-representation of Derbyshire and probably an insult to the police in Jamacia.
Old May 30th 2010, 3:48 pm
Banned

SUN DRIED is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.caymannewsservice.com/hea...public-concern

Above is a link to a CNS article the serious crime figures for 2009 (In 2010 there is no improvement). Ignore the Burglary figures. The actual figures for burglary 01 Jan 2009 – 30 June 2009 were 300 and 8 additional aggravated burglaries. (These were taken from the RCIP website June – Dec haven’t yet been published).

The Islands have a population of about 55,000 the majority of which are expatriates on work permits. Population wise the Cayman Islands are the size of an average UK town – not a city just an average sized town. I think that the fact that 8 people were murdered last year and there were 17 armed robberies earns it the title ‘Mini Jamaica’ particularly as the murders are mainly gang related.
Old May 30th 2010, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by IslandGal
Hiya

Yvonne
Thanks for info Yvonne
Do you know if any of the ex pats (police) decide to immigrate for life once they start work in St Helena or can't they wait to get back to UK? We are considering immigrating, if we get a job offer and, if we like it once there.

Geraint sounds good to know and if offered a job would certainly be interested in chatting the job out there and way of life as I have a young family that will be coming with me.

How much does it cost to get there (in case family visit) and what route did you take?
Old May 31st 2010, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for info Yvonne
Do you know if any of the ex pats (police) decide to immigrate for life once they start work in St Helena or can't they wait to get back to UK? We are considering immigrating, if we get a job offer and, if we like it once there.

Geraint sounds good to know and if offered a job would certainly be interested in chatting the job out there and way of life as I have a young family that will be coming with me.

How much does it cost to get there (in case family visit) and what route did you take?
Hey Mountie

As far as getting out here, it's pretty expensive I think! The reason I don't know is that St Helena Government paid for Rob and I to get out here, and Geraint got the same deal so I imagine you would too. We were flown to Ascension Island where we caught the RMS St Helena to the island. The trip took three days and we really, really enjoyed it. It's a nice wee ship and the crew are wonderful. I asked Geraint if it was ok for me to give you his email address if you wanted it and he said that was fine so I can PM it to you if you want it (and once I figure out how to do it as am new to the site!).

There are quite a few ex-pats out here with young children and they all seem to be doing fine. There's a lot of outdoorsy stuff for the kids to do here so they all appear to be enjoying themselves and are very fit wee things!

As far as staying here permanently, I know Geraint would not but that has a lot to do with the fact that his wife and two daughters are back in the UK. One of them is exam age so they couldn't uproot her. He's missing them an awful lot, of course. Rob and I had the same idea about staying long term when we first got here but I think we'll need to re-evaluate after the two year contract is up, kind of due to the negative things that happened of late.

Having said that, there are a lot of positive things about the island and there are some wonderful people here so I wouldn't want you to have too negative a view of the place because of my previous post - I was in a bit of a bad mood, having just read that week's Independent! Anyway, I'll get Geraint's email to you and if there's any questions you have at any time, ask away
Old May 31st 2010, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Copout
Glad they were not seriously hurt IslandGal, same sort of thing happens here.

I've been attacked twice with a machette (unfortunately they're weapons everyone seems to carry and no enforcement is applied. Something to do with the culture of the Caribbean and chopping down jungle brush)

We've also had the local yardie bad boys take pot shots at us with rounds as powerfull as 9mm. Then again, a .22 would be bad enough if it hit you!!!
It's okay though, we've had a gun amnesty so I'm sure all the gangsta's will see sense and had over their weapons.....

It's not surprising a lot of the (law abiding) local folk call this place "mini-Jamaica".

Copout - 21 days and counting...

Blimey! It puts this place into perspective a bit, hearing things like that. Quite a few people here have machetes too for cutting flax, but we've only heard one story about a guy using it on somebody else. This was nothing to do with ex-pat stuff either and was quite a while ago, I think. Funnily enough, the machete-wielder himself is more known here for being a sex pest and a few months ago he made me his latest target so we had to move house! Nothing dramatic happened, thankfully, and we've had no hassle from him since. I think the ex-pat haters here are in the relative minority, and certainly the ones who would express that violently. The guy who came at my partner has been in trouble for attacking locals as well, so he's just a bad sort generally it seems.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Gritto is an unknown quantity at this point

According to the Cayman Gov website the vacancies for RCIP have changed the closing date to 11th June, also the salaries for some of the positions have gone down, presume this is to do with the paycuts.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 5:37 pm
Banned

Copout is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gritto
According to the Cayman Gov website the vacancies for RCIP have changed the closing date to 11th June, also the salaries for some of the positions have gone down, presume this is to do with the paycuts.
I did warn a few people of these cuts.
Problem is it's only the beginning. Plenty more next year too no doubt.

The eagle eyed among you will see that the upper scale of the DC's post has had $10,000 slashed of the salary. That's a lot considering the cost of living here. Don't expect to save up too much while you're here. Probably end up costing you to come

I finish on 18th (thank de lord) and they're even making noises about not paying my fare back home now Even though it was part of my initial contract. They're like that here though. Make the rules up as they go along.

GOD I can't WAIT to get OUT!
Old Jun 6th 2010, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gritto
They are cheeky, just read the info on the Gov web site and all down a few thousand plus why have they readvertised on Gov only wed site and not in Police Review??? Anyone know how many applications they received?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.