Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Royal Cayman Islands Police

Royal Cayman Islands Police

Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:48 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Carl Bargh's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 21
Carl Bargh is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Royal Cayman Islands Police

I am currently in the process of applying to the RCIP.

I am wondering if anyone has contacts there, just to offer a little advice.
Carl Bargh is offline  
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:58 pm
  #2  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 4
coinneach is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Royal Cayman Islands Plice

Originally Posted by Carl Bargh
I am currently in the process of applying to the RCIP.

I am wondering if anyone has contacts there, just to offer a little advice.
carl a friend of mine applied and went out for a year initially,he managed to squeeze about 6 years out in total,are they recruiting at the moment.ps nice forget me not mmm1056
coinneach is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:11 am
  #3  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2
lisaord is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Royal Cayman Islands Plice

Originally Posted by coinneach
carl a friend of mine applied and went out for a year initially,he managed to squeeze about 6 years out in total,are they recruiting at the moment.ps nice forget me not mmm1056

Do you need to be a met officer to apply?
lisaord is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:38 am
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Carl Bargh's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 21
Carl Bargh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Royal Cayman Islands Plice

Originally Posted by lisaord
Do you need to be a met officer to apply?
The only criteria for applying to RCIP are:

1/ Be a serving officer (any force) with a minimum 5 years service.
2/ Have some CID experience.
3/ Be under 40 years of age.

I have been advised by the RCIP recruiting Inspector (Daniel Lee) that there will be an advert in one of July's Police Review. I don't subscribe, so haven't seen the advert. There is nothing so far on the Jane's web-site.

I have done a lot of research into this, and have a fair bit of info if you need anything (regarding other unpublished criteria, cost of living etc.)

Get back to me if you need anything else.

[email protected]

Carl
Carl Bargh is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:43 am
  #5  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2
lisaord is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Royal Cayman Islands Plice

Originally Posted by Carl Bargh
The only criteria for applying to RCIP are:

1/ Be a serving officer (any force) with a minimum 5 years service.
2/ Have some CID experience.
3/ Be under 40 years of age.

I have been advised by the RCIP recruiting Inspector (Daniel Lee) that there will be an advert in one of July's Police Review. I don't subscribe, so haven't seen the advert. There is nothing so far on the Jane's web-site.

I have done a lot of research into this, and have a fair bit of info if you need anything (regarding other unpublished criteria, cost of living etc.)

Get back to me if you need anything else.

[email protected]

Carl
Cheers Carl

My friend has recently moved over there, she's a chartered Surveyor and loves it there.
lisaord is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:53 am
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Carl Bargh's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 21
Carl Bargh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Royal Cayman Islands Plice

Originally Posted by lisaord
Cheers Carl



My friend has recently moved over there, she's a chartered Surveyor and loves it there.

I too have a mate out there - in the police. He says it is brilliant, but there are a million things to consider before taking the jump.

The RCIP website has been down for ages, but click on this link:

http://www.gov.ky/pls/portal30/docs/39870.pdf

and it will take you to the application form.

Carl
Carl Bargh is offline  
Old Aug 8th 2005, 7:28 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1
detecdave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Royal Cayman Islands Plice

Originally Posted by Carl Bargh
I too have a mate out there - in the police. He says it is brilliant, but there are a million things to consider before taking the jump.

The RCIP website has been down for ages, but click on this link:

http://www.gov.ky/pls/portal30/docs/39870.pdf

and it will take you to the application form.

Carl
Carl,
I too have an applcation in to join the RCIP. I have an interview on 24th August in London. I currently work within the CID at Brighton in Sussex and have 15 year in the job. You say that your friend has mentioned about a 'Million' things to consider. Can you elaborate?

[email protected]
detecdave is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2005, 6:17 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 14
Stifler will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Royal Cayman Islands Plice

Originally Posted by detecdave
Carl,
I too have an applcation in to join the RCIP. I have an interview on 24th August in London. I currently work within the CID at Brighton in Sussex and have 15 year in the job. You say that your friend has mentioned about a 'Million' things to consider. Can you elaborate?

[email protected]
Allow me.
Don't assume that you'll be living on a tropical paradise where the highlight of your day is stolling up the beach ensuring beach bums are adrequately oiled up!
You will be working 12 hour shifts, 2 days, 2 nights and 4 off*. (the first of which you will spend sleeping).

*nb, The illustrious leaders tend to change the patterns every 3 months, so try not to plan too far in advance!

Providing you have a working radio, you will be given a substandard patrol vehicle to answer any calls from a dog barking to a fatal assault/shooting. Regardless of the call, you can guaruntee that the persons involved will have a strong disregard and hatred for police in general. Add the fact that you are a fresh faced Brit only causes more problems.

You will be frequently stationed in the cell block area which is unsafe and unsanitary for a 12 hour shift. Often with no break. There you will encounter the vile miscreants who's sole highlight of their detention is to intimidate, fight and make your time there and utter misery.

Do not think for a second that your experience will count for anything. The so-called top jobs are reserved for their local officers who are in the 'click'.

You are there to make up numbers until you are burnt out and thus their
bi-yearly recruiting cycle begins again.

Be preared to shoulder the heavy burden of emergency calls, do not rely on any help or assistance from local officers should you request it via the radio. You are, afterall living in 'paradise' on their behalf, and part of this deal, is that you WILL deal with calls and place yourself in frequent danger, often with no back-up.

If you take pride in your work, and expect certain standards to be adhered to such as victim support, initial investigation and crime scene preservation to name a few, then you will have more luck banging your head against a brick wall. There is, no such thing.

Accept that you will be supervised by people that would have trouble completing a UK application form, let alone, being accepted over here. Learn to bite your tongue when you are told you should write more traffic tickets, despite the fact you have spent the last 12 hours driving in a car with bald tyres and faulty headlights.

Also accept that you will often be victimised because of your skin colour and nationality. You can have the best case for joining the department, even an accredited detective investigator, but don't be surprised to see local boy, who doesn't know the difference between an RTA and a Deception to be given the go ahead to gain a place in CID. Then listen to his 'advice' he gives you on processing your prisoner......

Now, for all those officers that have been, err... shall I say 'lucky'? enough to be accepted in the recent interviews. I sincerely hope that one of your questions in the interview was to enquire about the accomodation situation.

Check on real estates sites, such as remax, centry 21 etc, for rentals on the islands. The islands are still recovering from a hurricane their last year damaging 80% of properties on the island. And I'm not talking a few missing roof tiles either!

If you are looking for anything under 1000 pounds a month, I suggest you are looking at either a) a house in a bad area, or b) a house that has yet to be repaired. Expect to pay up to and above half your monthy income on your rental. Then take into account utility bills, and living costs.

You WILL need a car. Prefrebly one that is not hurricane damaged and well looked after. This is no easy fete, when you bear in mind yearly servicing is something unheard of, as most people are transient and are only on the islands a few years, they tend not to take care of cars like here.

Expect to pay double your insurance premiums for cars and homes. Another effect of Hurricane Ivan last year.

But above all - enjoy yourself!
Stifler is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2005, 7:48 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 19
Margot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Royal Cayman Islands Plice

Stifler has it spot on, I spent 4 years working there. While at the beginning it was all new and exciting, it quickly became apparent that your experience / skills are ignored. I have never experienced such corruption, sexism and racism. You ignore it because you get the days off on the beach but the 'pros' quickly get outweighed by the 'cons'.
The pay never went up in 4 years yet the cost of living was sky high. Hurricane Ivan trashed the place, and already expensive utility bills have gone mad. Expect to pay CI$300 a month for your electricity, CI$50 per month at least for water. Rents have gone through the roof, I used to live a mediocre 1 bed place that cost $1000 per month that place is now renting for $1500. Car prices - expect to pay CI$6000 for an 8 year old small car that may have salt water damage.
To get off the island - which you have to regularly do - costs at least CI$300 just to get to Miami an hour away.
You quickly learn that there are a set of rules for expats which are totally different from the ones the locals follow.
Above all, remember that you are really NOT wanted there, you 'foreigners' are taking jobs from Caymanians.
Margot is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 12:05 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 23
swoopy91 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Royal Cayman Islands Plice

Originally Posted by Margot
Stifler has it spot on, I spent 4 years working there. While at the beginning it was all new and exciting, it quickly became apparent that your experience / skills are ignored. I have never experienced such corruption, sexism and racism. You ignore it because you get the days off on the beach but the 'pros' quickly get outweighed by the 'cons'.
The pay never went up in 4 years yet the cost of living was sky high. Hurricane Ivan trashed the place, and already expensive utility bills have gone mad. Expect to pay CI$300 a month for your electricity, CI$50 per month at least for water. Rents have gone through the roof, I used to live a mediocre 1 bed place that cost $1000 per month that place is now renting for $1500. Car prices - expect to pay CI$6000 for an 8 year old small car that may have salt water damage.
To get off the island - which you have to regularly do - costs at least CI$300 just to get to Miami an hour away.
You quickly learn that there are a set of rules for expats which are totally different from the ones the locals follow.
Above all, remember that you are really NOT wanted there, you 'foreigners' are taking jobs from Caymanians.
Blimey Margot and Stifler have given me a few things to think about!!!! Me and my partner have just been offered jobs over there (we also have a baby daughter) and are expected to leave England Oct/Nov. Are you (Margot & Stifler) currently serving in the Caymans? We both have a lot of experience (20 years between us) and are in no way afraid of a challenge - but having read the last 2 posts i would appreciate any advice on offer!
swoopy91 is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 12:26 pm
  #11  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 19
Margot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Royal Cayman Islands Plice

Originally Posted by swoopy91
Blimey Margot and Stifler have given me a few things to think about!!!! Me and my partner have just been offered jobs over there (we also have a baby daughter) and are expected to leave England Oct/Nov. Are you (Margot & Stifler) currently serving in the Caymans? We both have a lot of experience (20 years between us) and are in no way afraid of a challenge - but having read the last 2 posts i would appreciate any advice on offer!
Hi Carl, Congrats on getting the job! I am no longer serving there, if I was I'd be in trouble for expressing views publicly - that is not allowed. Check out Cayman Net News website http://www.caymannetnews.com/ Have a look at the articles in the archive at the end of June where the Commissioner 'resigned' and the letters subsequently.
The RCIP is already over 40 experienced Officers short and I understand that only about 20 have been recruited from the UK and only 3 from Canada. Crime has gone through the roof, shootings, armed robberies, there were 22 burglaries in one day.......... I don't think it's going a 'holiday' working there now.
Seeing as there are two of you, that'll help with the cost of living. I can send you contact details of currently serving Expat Officers (only a few left) if you want. Let me know.
Margot is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 12:29 pm
  #12  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 19
Margot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Royal Cayman Islands Plice

Originally Posted by Margot
Hi Carl, Congrats on getting the job! I am no longer serving there, if I was I'd be in trouble for expressing views publicly - that is not allowed. Check out Cayman Net News website http://www.caymannetnews.com/ Have a look at the articles in the archive at the end of June where the Commissioner 'resigned' and the letters subsequently.
The RCIP is already over 40 experienced Officers short and I understand that only about 20 have been recruited from the UK and only 3 from Canada. Crime has gone through the roof, shootings, armed robberies, there were 22 burglaries in one day.......... I don't think it's going a 'holiday' working there now.
Seeing as there are two of you, that'll help with the cost of living. I can send you contact details of currently serving Expat Officers (only a few left) if you want. Let me know.
Oops just realised I called you Carl........... amend that to Swoopy - Sorry
Margot is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 4:55 pm
  #13  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 23
swoopy91 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Royal Cayman Islands Plice

Originally Posted by Margot
Hi Carl, Congrats on getting the job! I am no longer serving there, if I was I'd be in trouble for expressing views publicly - that is not allowed. Check out Cayman Net News website http://www.caymannetnews.com/ Have a look at the articles in the archive at the end of June where the Commissioner 'resigned' and the letters subsequently.
The RCIP is already over 40 experienced Officers short and I understand that only about 20 have been recruited from the UK and only 3 from Canada. Crime has gone through the roof, shootings, armed robberies, there were 22 burglaries in one day.......... I don't think it's going a 'holiday' working there now.
Seeing as there are two of you, that'll help with the cost of living. I can send you contact details of currently serving Expat Officers (only a few left) if you want. Let me know.
Hi Margot,
If you could send me details of officers over there it would be much appreciated. There have apparently been 16 UK officers offered posts, at the moment i think most of us are checking the pay scales as 15 out of 16 have been offered the same starting wage close to the bottom end of the pay scale suprisingly, no matter what service we have. After what i have read in the last few days we will be thinking carefully about moving out there.
swoopy91 is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 7:47 pm
  #14  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 19
Margot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Royal Cayman Islands Plice

Originally Posted by swoopy91
Hi Margot,
If you could send me details of officers over there it would be much appreciated. There have apparently been 16 UK officers offered posts, at the moment i think most of us are checking the pay scales as 15 out of 16 have been offered the same starting wage close to the bottom end of the pay scale suprisingly, no matter what service we have. After what i have read in the last few days we will be thinking carefully about moving out there.
The pay scales don't surprise me at all. When I went I was on the 5 year rate (with 12 years service) and that never changed with 4 years working out there. I think there were 2 increments in year 3 and 4 of 2% for cost of living. When I first went there we had an overseas allowance of 15 % then that got taken away and we were given a pension - note it took me 8 months and letters to the foreign office to get the money out!! The pay has recently been increased by $500 but I reckon that would be eaten up in the increased rents / utility bills.
If you post an email address I'll send you some contacts.
Margot is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 7:58 pm
  #15  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 23
swoopy91 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Royal Cayman Islands Plice

Originally Posted by Margot
The pay scales don't surprise me at all. When I went I was on the 5 year rate (with 12 years service) and that never changed with 4 years working out there. I think there were 2 increments in year 3 and 4 of 2% for cost of living. When I first went there we had an overseas allowance of 15 % then that got taken away and we were given a pension - note it took me 8 months and letters to the foreign office to get the money out!! The pay has recently been increased by $500 but I reckon that would be eaten up in the increased rents / utility bills.
If you post an email address I'll send you some contacts.
My email address is: <<<Email Address removed to protect privacy. PM member for contact details>>>
Thanks

Last edited by Sue; Sep 4th 2005 at 1:06 am. Reason: Removed email address
swoopy91 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.