Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Royal Cayman Island Police

Royal Cayman Island Police

Old Jan 16th 2009, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

hantspc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Royal Cayman Island Police

Hi,
Im a serving officer with 10 years front line service. Im really interested in applying for the Royal Cayman Island Police, or any other island police service (but not Bermuda).

I read all the previous threads on service in the Cayman Islands, and can see there was some mixed reviews and heated exchanges going on!!

Is anyone currently serving there, or has just left that can give me some idea of what it is like now? conditions? pay? crime rates? housing costs... and about a million other questions.

Ive tried emailing and phoning the personnel dept. not getting much luck there though lol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Rich
Old Jan 17th 2009, 6:22 am
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all
Default Re: Royal Cayman Island Police

I left the RCIP just under two years ago, so i can't really comment on how things are these days. I was however on island not too long ago, and it would appear the ongoing sagas involving the SPIT enquiry and the service have taken their toll on moral.

At the end of the day everyone has their own opinions, but i have no regrets whatsoever spending a couple of years on island in the job, and i would not swap it for anything. There were some tough times during and after Ivan, and some frustrating times in the job, and i know that by the end of my time on island i was ready to leave. However, there were also some really great times, both at work and off duty, i made some life long friends, had what can only be described as a 'unique' (!) policing experience which not too many other people have the opportunity to have, and a great quality of life for a couple of years with BBQ's, beers on the beach, and a good social scene.

I think if you have the opportunity to take a career break you have nothing to lose, you can always jack it in and return to the UK if you decide its not for you. If you have to terminate your employment in the UK i'm not sure i would give it a go, as for one reason or another (personally) i would not see Cayman as a long term option (immigration issues, etc etc.)

One thing i have noticed is that a few people who have gone to Cayman, get a taste for the tropical lifestyle, and find it hard getting used to the UK way of life again when they return. Once you have had a taste of the good life its hard to go back (i don't think i could). Therefore if you are looking for a longer term option, you may wish to consider applying for West Oz Police or South Oz Police (interestingly quite a few ex RCIP / British cops have applied, and / or ended up in Oz, where you have the lifestyle but its a long term option).

Good luck whatever you decide to do, hopefully someone still in the job over there will be able to advise you how things are at the moment, and you can make an informed judgment based on this.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

hantspc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply Baz, I can see from the previous threads there was some issues and problems with working there. I'm just wondering if any of these have been resolved.
Do you know any serving officers currently there? anyone I could get in contact with?

Cheers mate
Old Jan 21st 2009, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hantspc
Thanks for your reply Baz, I can see from the previous threads there was some issues and problems with working there. I'm just wondering if any of these have been resolved.
Do you know any serving officers currently there? anyone I could get in contact with?

Cheers mate
Contact Simon Bennett.

PM me for his e mail address.

He is ex-Hants and has just returned from The Caymans..