Queensland Police

Old Aug 9th 2005, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Queensland Police

Hi

I was looking at the QLD police website http://www.police.qld.gov.au and I noticed that they have an annual recruitment drive for cadets. There seems to no real restrictions on people who can apply, as in age, experience etc.

What I am asking is what are my realistic chances of being able to go through this recuitment selection at the age of 33, with no previous policing experience.

I have always thought about joining the police, but where I live at the moment there is no such recruitment drive, it seems to be more the 'who you know' way of doing things.

I currently work in the printing/graphic design industry, and upon my arrival in Australia I initially intend to try and find a job within my trade. But why cant I start my new life with a whole new career? It certainly sounds appealing, and the salary looks quite good!!!

Any expats who have transfered to Aus Police, or people who have joined the police since arriving, I would love to hear your comments.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

johnnet is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Queensland Police

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Hi

I was looking at the QLD police website http://www.police.qld.gov.au and I noticed that they have an annual recruitment drive for cadets. There seems to no real restrictions on people who can apply, as in age, experience etc.

What I am asking is what are my realistic chances of being able to go through this recuitment selection at the age of 33, with no previous policing experience.

I have always thought about joining the police, but where I live at the moment there is no such recruitment drive, it seems to be more the 'who you know' way of doing things.

I currently work in the printing/graphic design industry, and upon my arrival in Australia I initially intend to try and find a job within my trade. But why cant I start my new life with a whole new career? It certainly sounds appealing, and the salary looks quite good!!!

Any expats who have transfered to Aus Police, or people who have joined the police since arriving, I would love to hear your comments.
Hi Manx

I have been out here since(Brisbane) since end of Nov last year. Ex UK military but no previous police background, applied in Dec 04 to Qld police - am still waiting to find out if am successful or not?!
Here is a breakdown of dates etc for my application:

Dec 04: application sent (security checks are then carried out)

Mar 05: Letter received asking for additional info and referees(normal part of process), also inviting me to next phase.

Mar 05: Completed and passed Physical Compentency test.

Mar 05: Completed and Pyschometric Assessment, given date for interview.

April 05: Attended interview, and passed medical. Also recruitment sight original documents and take fingerprints.

May 05: Bronze medallion cert, Snr First Aid and Typing tes cert were required to be handed in.

June 05: Was hoping to hear that successful, instead phone call requesting for 2 more referees(think they had lost paperwork.

July 05: Found out that July intake been put back to August, and 1 after is in Oct.

Aug 05: Still waiting, intake in Oct 05 is the 24th, so hoping to hear around 24th Sept!!!

Hope all of this helps, any further questions then feel free to ask!

Regards Johnnet
Old Aug 10th 2005, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

quite a long process then, better start the ball rolling as soon as I get my visa!!

Have you met many of the other people in the system with you, are they experienced, surely people who are already police in other countries get fast tracked?

How about you, how old are you? Did you give you any indication of your chances when applying?
Old Aug 27th 2005, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

mark937 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Queensland Police

Originally Posted by manxfamily
quite a long process then, better start the ball rolling as soon as I get my visa!!

Have you met many of the other people in the system with you, are they experienced, surely people who are already police in other countries get fast tracked?

How about you, how old are you? Did you give you any indication of your chances when applying?

Hi there,

The speed of the application depends on a few factors and they are as follows:-

1. How many recruits are required for the intake and how many applications.

2. Experience of the applicant's, i.e previous experience of policing may be preferential over none, depending on what type of applicant they are targetting.

3. When the next intake is required.

4. security checks and other background checks.

Whilst i was in Brisbane last year i did liaise with the recruitment department and they were very helpful, i would be doing the pace programme as i am a serving police officer in the UK. As long as the process is moving along, how ever the length of time taken, don't panic. Any problems, just drop them a line to see how things are progressing, or even how long the process may take.

Anyway good luck.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

johnnet is on a distinguished road

Just a quick update, finally got the letter of appointment in the post on Thursday last week. I have been accepted for the 24th October intake - what a relief!
Now just 7 months of hard work at the academy to go.

Regards

Johnnet

Originally Posted by johnnet
Hi Manx

I have been out here since(Brisbane) since end of Nov last year. Ex UK military but no previous police background, applied in Dec 04 to Qld police - am still waiting to find out if am successful or not?!

Mar 05: Letter received asking for additional info and referees(normal part of process), also inviting me to next phase.

April 05: Attended interview, and passed medical. Also recruitment sight original documents and take fingerprints.

May 05: Bronze medallion cert, Snr First Aid and Typing tes cert were required to be handed in.

June 05: Was hoping to hear that successful, instead phone call requesting for 2 more referees(think they had lost paperwork.

July 05: Found out that July intake been put back to August, and 1 after is in Oct.

Aug 05: Still waiting, intake in Oct 05 is the 24th, so hoping to hear around 24th Sept!!!

Regards Johnnet
Old Sep 18th 2005, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just a quick update, finally got the letter of appointment in the post on Thursday last week. I have been accepted for the 24th October intake - what a relief!
Now just 7 months of hard work at the academy to go.

Regards

Johnnet
Congrats, Im sure the academy will be fun. Hard work but worth it in the long run.

Good Luck
Old Dec 30th 2006, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Manx

Regards Johnnet
Hi

I just wondered how the reference thing works? I'm new to Brisbane so am concerned that I don't really know anyone here who would be able to give a reference for me. I have referees from UK - old employers for example. I don't know if they would also be able to speak to my referees in the UK given the time difference too. I'm not known by any upstanding members of the community over here yet!
Old Dec 30th 2006, 4:21 pm
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all

If i were you and i had the choise, i would try to use my UK referees, as i assume having known you for a while, they will have lots of good things to say about you. I'm not sure how much use it would be getting a referance from people who don't really know you that well.

Regardless, i would just ring recruitment and speak to them, i'm sure they will be able to give you the best advice.