Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Qualifications for Police Canada

Qualifications for Police Canada

Old Feb 24th 2010, 4:05 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qualifications for Police Canada

"Where do I get my info from? From living and working in Canada's biggest city in law enforcement, that's where."

so i take it you were a police officer in canada before you went to GMP? (my old force by the way) curious as i note you were thinking of applying to edmonton, calgary, then toronto now RCMP??
Old Feb 27th 2010, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rae
"Where do I get my info from? From living and working in Canada's biggest city in law enforcement, that's where."

so i take it you were a police officer in canada before you went to GMP? (my old force by the way) curious as i note you were thinking of applying to edmonton, calgary, then toronto now RCMP??
Bloody hell!! I am confused!!!
Old Feb 28th 2010, 3:20 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pompeyboy
Bloody hell!! I am confused!!!
me too, i assume he was a cop in canada and then went to the uk, now is rejoining a canadian force, though he has not come back to elaborate and seems more than a little tetchy.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

minxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really nice

Originally Posted by rae
me too, i assume he was a cop in canada and then went to the uk, now is rejoining a canadian force, though he has not come back to elaborate and seems more than a little tetchy.
Hi I am the originator of this thread, my question was "Qualifications for Police Canada", meaning educational in reference to "High School Diploma" and UK equivalent's. How can this simple question lead to 13+ responses off subject. (thread high jacked by someone asking their own question)

Just to note I have 17 years service with the MOD Police and have just had medical awaiting ppr so I can apply to OPP / or any Ontario Police force that I would be best suitable for.

Point to note I have worked with many police services whilst serving for UN, the UK and Canada are both professional in their respective Policing / Law Enforcement roles.

Any advice would be great on subject.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 12:13 pm
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of

Hi.
Please bear in mind that with the OPP they can post you anywhere in the province (and it's huge!) so you may want to consider a region, city or town police service.
Good luck and keep us up to date with how you get on.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 11:26 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by minxymel
Hi I am the originator of this thread, my question was "Qualifications for Police Canada", meaning educational in reference to "High School Diploma" and UK equivalent's. How can this simple question lead to 13+ responses off subject. (thread high jacked by someone asking their own question)

Just to note I have 17 years service with the MOD Police and have just had medical awaiting ppr so I can apply to OPP / or any Ontario Police force that I would be best suitable for.

Point to note I have worked with many police services whilst serving for UN, the UK and Canada are both professional in their respective Policing / Law Enforcement roles.

Any advice would be great on subject.
point to note, many on here have similar experience and apply, you are nothing special i'm afraid, and threads tend to drift its just one of those things, nothing personal against the o/p or derogatory toward others, people just sometimes drift, simple as really.

the reply to your question was posted earlier on, IQAL will recognize grade 10-12 high school completion over here with relation to 6th form gcse/'A' levels in the uk. you would have to have your qualifications assessed by them to get a definitive answer, grade 12 is the generally accepted level, but i should imagine this would be on OPP's website.
so i gather you have popped on to tell us off for 'hijacking' your thread. welcome to 'tinternet.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

scouse_bobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Minxymel, I am in the same boat as you and spoke with IQAL - they told me that NVQ's are not recognised. Not good news but it gives you an answer.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

minxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really niceminxymel is just really nice

Originally Posted by scouse_bobby
Minxymel, I am in the same boat as you and spoke with IQAL - they told me that NVQ's are not recognised. Not good news but it gives you an answer.
Hi we are out here know, hubby sits GED on 13 Aug, we have looked in to the GED exam not to difficult. He has been told by OPP soon as he passess he can sit COPR with OPP, hope to have the process completed by Sept...
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

Congratulations! If you've got any hints or tips that could help me i'd be more than happy to hear them!!
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 12:19 am
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations! If you've got any hints or tips that could help me i'd be more than happy to hear them!!
Dont you have enough work in the thievery capital of the world...

This is of course on my assumption that your a copper in the land of the scousers...or are you just a scouser who is a copper and fled the home town...

Good luck!

Sure you dont want to come work in the US?
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 12:20 am
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minxymel
Hi we are out here know, hubby sits GED on 13 Aug, we have looked in to the GED exam not to difficult. He has been told by OPP soon as he passess he can sit COPR with OPP, hope to have the process completed by Sept...
Do study for the GED, its their High School equivalency as you already know...(apparently a lot of recent HS grads fail it..)
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 12:35 am
Just Joined

SD, I would come to the US tomorrow without a second thought but it would appear it is near impossible for me to get in! Trying to find a Police Department or Sheriff's Office that will even allow me to apply has been unsuccessful. There was 1 (that shall remain nameless for now in case they prove me wrong) who promised to send out an application pack when they were next taking on, however, despite emailing them twice in the last 2 years I never received anything!!
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 12:51 am
Not around much..

SD, I would come to the US tomorrow without a second thought but it would appear it is near impossible for me to get in! Trying to find a Police Department or Sheriff's Office that will even allow me to apply has been unsuccessful. There was 1 (that shall remain nameless for now in case they prove me wrong) who promised to send out an application pack when they were next taking on, however, despite emailing them twice in the last 2 years I never received anything!!

They like to make it easy on themselves, and that pesky requirement that most all have " a legal permanent resident who has applied for and is eligible for citizenship" can be a pain...

Most agencies in CA are now only taking laterals from other CA agencies, due to the budget crunches etc...

There are more than a few of us expats working just in my county, across the agencies...they even let a mick in...must have been hard up for recruits i guess...

It does seem that the commonwealth is more inclined to pick up the home countries coppers...it wouldn't do the "orginal" colony any harm to do that if they only would...