British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Police (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/)
-   -   The Post A B C D assessment comedown and freakout thread. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/post-b-c-d-assessment-comedown-freakout-thread-813715/)

HarryBosch Oct 30th 2013 6:30 pm

The Post A B C D assessment comedown and freakout thread.

As the title says.

We're close. So very, very close. Forms have been filled and Pee has entered cups from both the standing and seated ( I presume and hope) positions. ACPO have made the easiest of easy money and Dr's? Well Dr's are now on 'the list'

But it's done and all we can do is enter the fastest eternity you can imagine. Wasn't it fun the last time? Limboland again. Oh, how I missed her.

We're close. Closer than the winner of last years how close can you get to something competition. Closer than UK policing is to shutdown. Well, maybe not that close. But it's within reach.

And now we wait. Patiently. Ever so patiently we wait for the most wonderous sound ever invented

"Bleep Bleep"

Who's with me?

HB

jim_1 Oct 30th 2013 7:59 pm

Re: The Post A B C D assessment comedown and freakout thread.

if my gp pulls his finger out i will be right there with you! so hopefully the money im throwing at him will spur him on!!! Yes doctors are now on the list..

deadlyminimee Oct 30th 2013 8:53 pm

At 1am today I had an email from Sue to say that the doctor has signed me off there end. It said they would be in touch in a week or so because there is some internal processes that need to be done now the doctor has signed me off!!!
Hopefully those processes are just formalities.....

HarryBosch Oct 30th 2013 8:56 pm

Fantastic mate. Not long now. Maybe Limboland 2 will set sail sooner than we thought.

deadlyminimee Oct 30th 2013 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by HarryBosch (Post 10969630)
Fantastic mate. Not long now. Maybe Limboland 2 will set sail sooner than we thought.

I know buddy. I really can't wait. I only and the email from Sue because I had emailed her making sure they received the medical form from my doc so I guess anyone who has sent all the paperwork back is in the same boat, just waiting for these internal bits to be done.

HarryBosch Oct 30th 2013 9:05 pm

Funnily enough i sent a short email this evening to check they had received the medical.

Cue me checking my phone at 1am :)

deadlyminimee Oct 30th 2013 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by HarryBosch (Post 10969630)

I know buddy. I really can't wait. I only and the email from Sue because I had emailed her making sure they received the medical form from my doc so I guess anyone who has sent all the paperwork back is in the same boat, just waiting for these internal bits to be done.

gregster10217 Oct 30th 2013 9:55 pm

Let me know when the plain black van, with blokes clad in all black, leaves for various Dr surgeries around the country!!

You boys and girls will be on that ship soon enough. At least the wait won't be as long as last time.

old.sparkles Oct 31st 2013 1:37 am

As a lot of this thread has related to how much you have been charged for medicals, here's a link to the prices for your visa medicals - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=758390

Every person included in the visa app needs a medical - and some non-migrating dependants may also be asked to have a medical as well

HarryBosch Oct 31st 2013 8:41 am

Old Sparkles - Thanks for the info.

It's the fact that our own GP's have been, ironically since most wouldn't, taking the piss with regards the pre-employment medicals.

I've worked since I left school and paid my National Insurance. I very rarely visit my Dr. There are a hell of a lot of people in this country who have never worked, never contributed and through their own choices I.e booze, drugs lack of exercise etc are far, far more of a burden on the Dr than me yet he still wanted to charge me in excess of £200 for the form whilst others are free to use and abuse the system

Secondly he said the couldn't do the drugs test. I explained all that was required was to dip a tester pack in the sample of urine and I'd supply the kit. He said " I don't know how to do that " Really? In that case I think I'll refrain from letting you check my Prostate.

I was lucky. Occ. health at work agreed to do it. Mainly cause they were appalled at my Dr's attitude.

All in all, as you might be able to tell, its left a rather distainful taste in my mouth. And thus the Dr is now 'on the list.'

HB

old.sparkles Oct 31st 2013 11:33 am

Originally Posted by HarryBosch (Post 10970326)
Old Sparkles - Thanks for the info.

It's the fact that our own GP's have been, ironically since most wouldn't, taking the piss with regards the pre-employment medicals.

I've worked since I left school and paid my National Insurance. I very rarely visit my Dr. There are a hell of a lot of people in this country who have never worked, never contributed and through their own choices I.e booze, drugs lack of exercise etc are far, far more of a burden on the Dr than me yet he still wanted to charge me in excess of £200 for the form whilst others are free to use and abuse the system

Secondly he said the couldn't do the drugs test. I explained all that was required was to dip a tester pack in the sample of urine and I'd supply the kit. He said " I don't know how to do that " Really? In that case I think I'll refrain from letting you check my Prostate.

I was lucky. Occ. health at work agreed to do it. Mainly cause they were appalled at my Dr's attitude.

All in all, as you might be able to tell, its left a rather distainful taste in my mouth. And thus the Dr is now 'on the list.'

HB

The only thing I can think of is

you're a police officer - that's you're job - a law abiding member of the public whose never had any interaction with the police says 'I'm going on holiday, watch my house while I'm away for free since it's your job' - it's not your job, but you have the skills to do it - but if you watch this persons house 24/7 you cannot go to work so he'll pay you for it

Your GP is there to treat you when you are sick - that's his job. Running unnecessary tests cos you want to leave the country is not part of his NHS job but he has the skills to do it - and while he's doing it, he cannot see NHS patients - so he's going to bill you for his time

Sound reasonable now?

HarryBosch Oct 31st 2013 12:27 pm

Nope. I have paid 23 years worth of National insurance contributions and tax. Therefore I pay to use the NHS. He is Medical professional paid by the NHS. He will get paid regardless the reasoning of my visit. I am asking him to carry out a health check on me to ensure that I am fit and well. If he wished to charge a nominal fee to transcribe all that to the form then fine. But I am his patient and his job is to look after my health. By performing the medical he is looking after my health. Nothing unnecessary about that. I would suggest the opposite. More people should be demanding a full physical.

How often are we told the importance of regular health check ups?

With regard appointments. I can't be the only person who wishes an hour of the Dr's time. As an NHS patient I'm entitled to it. The appointment gets scheduled accordingly. No one is missing out. As I mentioned I rarely use the Dr and as such even taking an hour of his time I'm still not using him even a tenth as much as others.

We may have to agree to disagree :D

HB

old.sparkles Oct 31st 2013 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by HarryBosch (Post 10970611)
Nope. I have paid 23 years worth of National insurance contributions and tax. Therefore I pay to use the NHS. He is Medical professional paid by the NHS. He will get paid regardless the reasoning of my visit. I am asking him to carry out a health check on me to ensure that I am fit and well. If he wished to charge a nominal fee to transcribe all that to the form then fine. But I am his patient and his job is to look after my health. By performing the medical he is looking after my health. Nothing unnecessary about that. I would suggest the opposite. More people should be demanding a full physical.

How often are we told the importance of regular health check ups?

With regard appointments. I can't be the only person who wishes an hour of the Dr's time. As an NHS patient I'm entitled to it. The appointment gets scheduled accordingly. No one is missing out. As I mentioned I rarely use the Dr and as such even taking an hour of his time I'm still not using him even a tenth as much as others.

We may have to agree to disagree :D

HB

We may indeed - I think nhs gp's are only allocated around 7 mins a patient. Your tax and NI payments have very little to do with the NHS - tax pays for government and NI is for your pension. If you had gone to the doc and asked for a check up on the basis that you haven't seen him/her for a long time, I'm sure you would have got an appointment at some time, and they would have made notes in your NHS records. The NHS doesn't do private medicals. For a private medical you have to pay.

And if you worry about paying for doctors, then in Australia you will need to find a bulk-billing GP which will leave you no gap. Ambulances are not free either so you'll need ambulance insurance as a minimum usually. I don't know if WAPOL has any private health insurance.

HarryBosch Oct 31st 2013 12:56 pm

"National Insurance is now used to pay for:
The NHS
Unemployment benefit
Sickness and disability allowances
The state pension"
From BBC website.

When was the last time you were at a Dr's when an appointment lasted 7 mins? It takes done if the old, infirm or just unfit longer than that to walk to the examination room.

I am ready to immerse myself in Oz culture and if that means medical bills and health insurance then so be it.

I paid over £200 in NI contributions last month alone. I don't think requesting a medical was unreasonable.

HB

old.sparkles Oct 31st 2013 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by HarryBosch (Post 10970665)
"National Insurance is now used to pay for:
The NHS
Unemployment benefit
Sickness and disability allowances
The state pension"
From BBC website.

When was the last time you were at a Dr's when an appointment lasted 7 mins? It takes done if the old, infirm or just unfit longer than that to walk to the examination room.

I am ready to immerse myself in Oz culture and if that means medical bills and health insurance then so be it.

I paid over £200 in NI contributions last month alone. I don't think requesting a medical was unreasonable.

HB

As you said - we'll have to agree to differ :)