policing in ontario

Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:35 pm
jedi in training

buzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of light
Default policing in ontario

Hello is there anyone policing in ontario? id like some info in regards to pay.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Andthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant future
Default Re: policing in ontario

Originally Posted by buzz365
Hi,

It depends where you want to work, unlike the UK, there isn't a uniform pay scale for all areas. Different forces pay different amounts.

What are you looking at, municipal or provincial police, and what area?

Take a look at the O.P.P. and T.P.S. web sites, listed below, there are faq sections on each. OPP is the provincial force, TPS is the municipal force covering the GTA.

I'm currently in the middle of testing with the OPP, so if I can help, I will.

Andy

http://www.opp.ca/Recruitment/index.htm

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/careers/
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Scots-Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

hi Andy
How have you found OPP to deal with?

Myself and my commonlaw partner are both cops in scotland and have sent away for our PR as we really want to stay in Ontario rather than Calgary,got friends out there one of whom is a cop who had dual residency.Only prob with going down the PR route is you cant apply for a job till you get PR,bit of a pain, I really fancy the OPP and the good lady would probably go for London p/s .
I was out this year met a cop who moved to the OPP from scotland a couple of years ago says its great.I also got a ride along with London p/s service very helpful.

If you don't mind me asking did you go down the PR route .

Dave
Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Andthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Scots-Dave
hi Andy
How have you found OPP to deal with?

Myself and my commonlaw partner are both cops in scotland and have sent away for our PR as we really want to stay in Ontario rather than Calgary,got friends out there one of whom is a cop who had dual residency.Only prob with going down the PR route is you cant apply for a job till you get PR,bit of a pain, I really fancy the OPP and the good lady would probably go for London p/s .
I was out this year met a cop who moved to the OPP from scotland a couple of years ago says its great.I also got a ride along with London p/s service very helpful.

If you don't mind me asking did you go down the PR route .

Dave
Hi Dave,

So far they have been really helpful. I rang their recruitment department and explained everything to them and they bend over backwards to help. They arange all the tests and interview on consecutive days, so that if you pass one, you go onto the next day and so on, so that you can spend as little time as possible there (if needed)

I'm lucky - I don't have to go through the immigration process as I'm a Canadian citizen by birth right, so I just had to apply for a citizenship certificate, once I had that I was entitled to apply.

I'm sure I heard something about Ontraio starting a Provincial Nominee Program (could be totally wrong mind...) If they are, you should look into that as it would speed things up no end.

I don't know anything about London PS, If they're anything like Toronto PS, I'd say they are less than helpful!

If you're going to join any force in Ontario you will have to complete the testing before applying to the force, it works slightly different to over here.

You can do the testing with OPP and a private firm. I'd recommend doing it with OPP.

Once you complete the testing (successfully) and get your certificate of results, you can apply to any force in Ontario.

The advantage of testing with OPP is that you can arrange an interview for the same week, so you can do the whole lot inside one week if needed whilst on holiday. Other forces you would have to contact once you had your results (which get mailed back home).

Hope this helps?

Andy
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

Scots-Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

Andy

Cheers for a speedy response.

Just received a letter today from the Canadian high commison confirming they have our application,they are stating 42-48 months ahhhh,I have heard of applications getting processed a lot quicker here's hoping,Isuppose Calgary is still an option but it really comes down to where you want to live for the rest of your life and we have friends in Ontario which helps I will look out for Ontario starting a PNP that would be great.

Thanks again.

Dave.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scots-Dave
Andy

Cheers for a speedy response.

Just received a letter today from the Canadian high commison confirming they have our application,they are stating 42-48 months ahhhh,I have heard of applications getting processed a lot quicker here's hoping,Isuppose Calgary is still an option but it really comes down to where you want to live for the rest of your life and we have friends in Ontario which helps I will look out for Ontario starting a PNP that would be great.

Thanks again.

Dave.
Glad to help!
Old Dec 11th 2007, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Peter Lowestoft will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by buzz365

Try York Region Police, county north of Toronto. Follow link from recruitment, police, career development, for current pay scale. 1st Class Constable after 3 years.
Obviously tonnes of research re cost of living, house prices etc before deciding if this is a good salary.
Pete
Old Dec 11th 2007, 7:37 pm
kws
Just Joined

kws has a spectacular aura aboutkws has a spectacular aura aboutkws has a spectacular aura about

Dave,

You could always apply to calgary and do a couple of years there then transfer across to Ontario. It will get you into Canada a whole lot quicker (probably within the year) and give you canadian experience. I suspect you may not have to do the training in Ontario as you will have qualified as a cop here. I'm not sure if the ontario forces will recognise you UK experience and start you on a higher pay grade but Calgary do and then you will be applying to Ontario as a 1st Class constable.

Calgary has a good reputation in canada and I know guys here have no problems getting jobs elsewhere.

Kws
Old Jan 1st 2008, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

source is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I ask how you all began the process...?

Did you just go online and take it from there or are there other procedures to be put in place first?

THANKS!!
Old Jan 1st 2008, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by source
Can I ask how you all began the process...?

Did you just go online and take it from there or are there other procedures to be put in place first?

THANKS!!
Hi!

I just went online and googled police in ontario.

You can only apply to forces in Ontario if you're already a Canadian citizen or permenant resident....

If you're not, then look at the Calgary police service or Edmonton police service, as (I think) they're the only two that recruit internationally.