Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

(Police) Question related to the UK courts

(Police) Question related to the UK courts

Old Nov 16th 2014, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default (Police) Question related to the UK courts

I know this is an emigration forum but wonder if any of you lovely police people could answer my question.

I was a victim of an incident in the UK whilst visiting there in July. I'm now in Australia. The police have told me I have to go to court to give evidence in January. 1 police person told me that the CPS will pay for me to go back, another police person said I could evidence by Skype, and a 3rd police person told me that I have to give evidence in person and should not have left the UK till after the court trial.

Can anybody offer me any advice?
Old Nov 17th 2014, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

notbrazil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: (Police) Question related to the UK courts

Depending on the seriousness of the offence, they might pay for you to go back. If they don't, you're very much 'out of the jurisdiction of the court' so there's really nothing they can do to compel you to attend.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 4:09 am
Just Joined

art924 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you need to clarify with whoever you spoke with is the trial date fixed i.e is it certain to go ahead on that date?

You then have to find out if the CPS are paying for your flights and accommodation to come back over and give evidence.
As the previous poster says obviously this depends on how serious the offence is.

Video link/skype evidence probably not likely, this would be up to the court but I doubt it.

The third point yes the courts do like it for you to give evidence in person their wrong on the second point that you shouldn't have left the country.

i would make sure that you insist you have a single point of contact when you give the police a ring as at the moment your obviously getting conflicting information at the moment.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both. I now have a contact with the Centralised Witness Care Unit. She is going to clarify the situation (I hope). Trial at Magistrates court is set for mid day on 20th January - defendant has already appeared once in October and pleaded not guilty to this SA3 offence.

I wonder if the CPS really would pay for my flights from Australia and accommodation (I am the victim) or just cancel the trial and let him off?
Old Nov 21st 2014, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

ronin852 is an unknown quantity at this point

The witness care unit are the best bet to speak to. Where I work, a male in same position as you went home to Australia. He was flown back to the UK with accommodation included for a minor theft offence. Well above the "not in the public interest" financially wise.

Good luck, you may be having a free ride on the CPS