Police pension in Oz

Old Jul 12th 2006, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Berena is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police pension in Oz

Hi all

I have a query on behalf of a family member who is a Policeman in Uk with 12 years experience who is contemplating attempting to move to WA. One of his main concerns is what happens to his UK Police pension. What are his options? What schemes are available for transfer of his pension and what are the superann arrangements in WA? Will he need to work beyond the 55 age he was planning to retire at etc etc .
Anyone been there , done that and got the answers? All advice gratefully received.

Peter
Old Jul 15th 2006, 9:34 am
Just Joined

IrishInOz is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Police pension in Oz

I have sent you a PM.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

henny the hen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police pension in Oz

I've got 15 years police pension under my belt and have been trying to find the answers to those same questions. I have applied to transfer to Australia and am waiting to find out if I have been successful. Any advice would be gratefully accepted.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

GTFC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IrishPost
I have sent you a PM.

just wondering if you could send me a PM with details re the police pension in Oz. I'v 5 years service in UK and currently going through application process with WA.

Cheers sean
Old Sep 25th 2006, 7:08 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I have sent you a PM.
Could you send me the same PM please Irish Post?

I only have 5 years to transfer, but it would be nice to know what my options are...

Cheers,

S
Old Sep 25th 2006, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

daveb11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

I only have 5 years to transfer, but it would be nice to know what my options are...

Cheers,

S
if you want to transfer your pension,you have to do it once you are there it has to be done within 6 mths or you get taxed to hell.It seems it can take a lot longer than that in reality,your best bet is to freeze it here and start again in oz you will have to work till you are 65 though.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm. No answer just another question I am afraid! We are off to Oz, me as aMum on 5 year career break from police. (husband has "normal" job!). So what do I do with my pension? I am still employed by police but pension frozen, however I imagine the 6 month entry time will still apply..or not? Any info would be very gratefully received...
Old Sep 26th 2006, 11:07 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seasprite
Hmmm. No answer just another question I am afraid! We are off to Oz, me as aMum on 5 year career break from police. (husband has "normal" job!). So what do I do with my pension? I am still employed by police but pension frozen, however I imagine the 6 month entry time will still apply..or not? Any info would be very gratefully received...
Hi Seasprite,

I too am on a 6 year career break, though I have aboslutely no itention of going back, and I really did enjoy writing to them to tell them where I am now living

My pension is frozen, and I've had real problems trying to get any useful information out of them about it. I was hoping to roll it into my Aus super, but I don't think that I will be able to, not without losing lots of money anyway.

I have got projected benefits information from them, which isn't much, and I think the money would be better off growing somewhere than sitting paying for current retirees pensions, which is why they don't want you taking it out by the way...

S
Old Sep 27th 2006, 11:00 am
Just Joined

daveb11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by seasprite
hi from what ive heard recently at work gmp,if you take a career break and come back some forces will put you back on the origional pension however some it would appear will put you onto the new one were you have to work longer for less.it would seem it depends on which force you are from.if you only have 5 years service here it may be better to start a new one in oz and freeze the one over here.if you dont manage to transfer it within the 6 months you will be taxed at 40% apparently
Old Oct 10th 2006, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

I have 12 years service but off on a 5 year break (ie forever hopefully!)..soooo until I actually quit I have to leave the pension in situ and will be taxed at 40% if I dont do it in the first 6m of being in Oz then. Great. Looks like I am stuffed!
Old May 2nd 2007, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Can you share your wisdom Irish ??

I have sent you a PM.
Old May 9th 2007, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,

S

Same here would you be able to send me a PM on behalf of hubby. He's got 9 years. We were told its just frozen and he'll get it when he retires.
Old May 9th 2007, 6:10 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by glittababe
Same here would you be able to send me a PM on behalf of hubby. He's got 9 years. We were told its just frozen and he'll get it when he retires.
You'll be waiting - Irish Post never got back to me...

S
Old May 9th 2007, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be waiting - Irish Post never got back to me...

S
Bugger! We can't seem to find anything out. Suffolk police haven't even acknowledged his resignation letter from January! I've emailed them and no reply, so I doubt they'll give us any clues re his pension. Be nice if he could transfer it to Qld Police.
Old May 9th 2007, 6:18 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by glittababe
Bugger! We can't seem to find anything out. Suffolk police haven't even acknowledged his resignation letter from January! I've emailed them and no reply, so I doubt they'll give us any clues re his pension. Be nice if he could transfer it to Qld Police.
Is he on a career break? They will be very reluctant to allow you to transfer it out, as they use it to pay for the current retirees. That's why they won't tell you anything about it. Leics are exactly the same. Trying to get any information out of them is a nightmare.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.