Police Pay Calgary

Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

siw1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police Pay Calgary

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me what the take home top rate pay is per month/fortnightly in Calgary. I would start on about 72k. but can't work out what I will actually have in the bank after all of the deductions are taken off......Starting to geta bit concerned about affording a decent pad. Will be bringing over 100k GBP?

Ta

Si
Old Apr 26th 2008, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police Pay Calgary

That would give you about $2,250 take home a fortnight
Old Apr 26th 2008, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
That would give you about $2,250 take home a fortnight
God - we wish !!

Take home varies around the $1700 mark - it varies by $88 each payslip because of the Alberta Health deductions which is only once a month ... if you look at the Calgary Police thread I've put the (numerous) deductions on there ....

in fact - let's see if I can attach it here ....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...415497&page=15

Look at entries # 289, #410 and #427

HTH
Old Apr 26th 2008, 8:47 pm
fortune favours the brave

poppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ann m
God - we wish !!

Take home varies around the $1700 mark - it varies by $88 each payslip because of the Alberta Health deductions which is only once a month ... if you look at the Calgary Police thread I've put the (numerous) deductions on there ....

in fact - let's see if I can attach it here ....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...415497&page=15

Look at entries # 289, #410 and #427

HTH
This is the latest pay scale chart regarding CPS

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server....ule+A+2008.htm
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers-This is far more than you actually get to take home!!! What you end up with in your wallet seems to be about half this?
Old Apr 28th 2008, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siw1978
What you end up with in your wallet seems to be about half this?

Isn't that always the way though? - I don't like to look at payslips in detail - it's like a horror story - so I just skip to the box at the bottom which is the bi-weekly insult of take-home pay

Seriously though - do you read your UK payslip in detail too? - it's much the same story here.

I have to be honest and say that financially, things have been tough during the training and the 'street duties' bit ('cos you can't volunteer for overtime during that phase but you might just end up working a bit anyway). So still, hubby is on the much the same money as he was whilst training, except for the payrise, and few dollars for the shift allowance.

And I can't now foresee much difference for a few more months - we are going back to the UK in the summer and he needs to work quite a few shifts to build up some time off - so no extra pennies there either . The pro-rata'd 4 days annual leave for 2008 is overwhelming

I'm just glad we had some savings. And if your other half is working too - even just something to bring in a few extra hundred dollars - then that already takes the pressure off. If you will both be working full-time - no worries at all.

It seems that many families move over with young kids, and finding affordable child-care is one other issue so that does sometimes limit the partner with finding work. Not being negative - just realisitic - things you need to take into consideration. Or open up your own child-care home !
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the insight. It's just hard that we have come this far (4 years through immigration) to have this problem at the final hurdle....
I do have alot of deductions from my police pay but it is still a better take home than Canada. The house prices were a hell of a lot more favourable, as was the exchange rate when we started. Looks like we've got some calculating to do.....
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by siw1978
Thanks but it is still a better take home than Canada. The house prices were a hell of a lot more favourable, as was the exchange rate when we started. Looks like we've got some calculating to do.....
Mmm, don't mention the house prices - what we thought we could buy in 2005 versus the actual house prices last year were just a little different. However, take comfort in the fact that we bought here at just about the height of the market - and you guys will come over to a much flatter housing market here in 2008, with the benefit of making reduced offers that might just be accepted!

It's swings and roundabouts, isn't it? Your UK house has probably increased substantially in the last 4 years - but the downside is the very slow UK market now if you are looking to sell (don't know what area you are).

As for exchange rate - well - that is soooo out of our control - you just take what you can - and then do not look at the exchange rate again for 6 months. Yeah - like that's easy to do

Have fun with that calculator
Old May 11th 2008, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

Ann, i saw you have mentioned shift allowance in other threads. is that on top of the $75k basic pay?
if so, how much extra will i get once ive done my time in school!?
Old May 11th 2008, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The shift allowance isn't a lot but here's an example from a couple of payslips - it will vary slightly each pay day depending on whether you have done nights or lates in that fortnight (which is the shift it's based on I presume).

$0.85 x 30 hrs = $25.50
$0.75 x 20 hrs = $15.00

then the next payslip is

$0.85 x 20 hrs = $17.00
$0.75 x 10 hrs = $7.50

Both of these examples are on top of your "Regular Pay" which is

$36.11 x 80.00 = $2,888 (hourly rate x bi-weekly hrs)

Overtime would be listed separately again, but I do not have any examples of that because hubby is banking all his time at the moment.

HTH
Old May 11th 2008, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ann m
The shift allowance isn't a lot but here's an example from a couple of payslips - it will vary slightly each pay day depending on whether you have done nights or lates in that fortnight (which is the shift it's based on I presume).

$0.85 x 30 hrs = $25.50
$0.75 x 20 hrs = $15.00

then the next payslip is

$0.85 x 20 hrs = $17.00
$0.75 x 10 hrs = $7.50

Both of these examples are on top of your "Regular Pay" which is

$36.11 x 80.00 = $2,888 (hourly rate x bi-weekly hrs)

Overtime would be listed separately again, but I do not have any examples of that because hubby is banking all his time at the moment.

HTH
every little helps. if nothing else that would cover my meals in work for the month!

then again im coming from 5 year UK police salary, so this is a nice pay rise for me anyway, and likewise for Cara, who has just had a rise in the time she was waiting to get her PR, and then gets another review in june! so im happy!

we are moving into our new place in downtown this week. about 6 blocks walk to CPS HQ!