Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia?-Part 2

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia?-Part 2

Old Feb 13th 2005, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

zoe100 will become famous soon enoughzoe100 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

the two of us replying under one name is confusing me now!! sorry... its zoe here now.

rippo and all other people who made the walkabout venue... sorry we were dull and missed it all, would have been nice to have met who we have been chatting to! hope to do it in the future.. who knows where.. but fingers crossed.. i ended up having very sore feet after trogging through central london visiting various walkabouts.

claguey - think i i.d'd you in the presentation - were you near the front on the end of the row? your accent sounded right and you kinda looked like your piccie so i assume it was - wanted to collar you to talk wirral!! ha ha wouldnt have taken too long! if you in cid you may know my eldest brothers best mate, think he was in cid (called paul) in liverpool when that meant being a pro pub-crawler!!! more importantly... WELL DONE!!!! (by the way i grew up on bennets lane, so not far from sherwood at all really)

on the vodka now so feeling ok, plus oceans 11 is imminent and am looking forward to a brad pitt/george clooney distraction from all that is whizzing through my head - undoubtedly the same as all others in the pool!

have a good monday all xx

zoe
Old Feb 13th 2005, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

JM&D is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we are all safe.......................look at what we are aware of so far,

1. We were originaly told by Scott that there were 300 vacancies available - where did he get this information from, did he just pluck the figure out of the sky...or was he originally told this figure when he was given the task of sorting out the recruitment.

2. They have also stated in the past that there is courses booked for March, May, July and September. Admittedly, they stopped repeating this although this was around the same time that the written contracts were stopped during the interview process. Why were they so forthright from the outset - SAPOL must have indicated the planned course dates to them for them to be able to pass on the information to us.

3. During the information day, we were told that SAPOL needed to increase their total strenght by 200 plus another 10 lost through overseas aid. An increase of 210 and they struggle to meet their usual targets.

4. One of the recruiters explained that 25% of the SAPOL force is aged between 50 - 60. That is a massive figure and they are fully aware that the recruiting problem will get worse before it gets better. They will obviously struggle, with an anticipated loss of so much experience over the next ten years. Maybe that is why they appear to be targetting those of us with approx 15/20 years 'in' to plug this gap.

Put your houses on the market, get the medicals done, and say your goodbyes to your families. You will all be on the big bird soon.

I'll buy Kraka a beer first.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 10:22 pm
Claguey

claguey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zoe100

claguey - think i i.d'd you in the presentation - were you near the front on the end of the row? your accent sounded right and you kinda looked like your piccie so i assume it was - wanted to collar you to talk wirral!! ha ha wouldnt have taken too long! if you in cid you may know my eldest brothers best mate, think he was in cid (called paul) in liverpool when that meant being a pro pub-crawler!!! more importantly... WELL DONE!!!! (by the way i grew up on bennets lane, so not far from sherwood at all really)

zoe
Yes that was me on the end of the row 3rd from front, you should have grabbed me, I was dying to put faces to names from the forum, anyway, hopefully we will all get together for a barbie in Oz? What is Pauls second name, i know a few.

By the way, a question for anyone going in March... Have you got any good plane prices? The cheapest i can get from Manchester flying out on the 12th of March is £452, good times and arriving next day in Adelaide. if you are interested I will pass on the details.

Phil.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

gjc38 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=claguey]Yes that was me on the end of the row 3rd from front, you should have grabbed me, I was dying to put faces to names from the forum, anyway, hopefully we will all get together for a barbie in Oz? What is Pauls second name, i know a few.

By the way, a question for anyone going in March... Have you got any good plane prices? The cheapest i can get from Manchester flying out on the 12th of March is £452, good times and arriving next day in Adelaide. if you are interested I will pass on the details.

Phil.

We wouldn't mind the details on that flight -is it Emirates - if so you'll get a lot more leg room than on Quantas or Singapore Airlines, we flew with them to Sri Lanka in September and it was ace!? Geoff will be flying out that week and living in Derbyshire, Manchester's a lot easier for us. Appreciate it - ta!

Judes
x

( Welcome Ronnie and Cat - glad you found the forum. Hope you enjoyed your pizza and good luck with the house sale - ours goes on the market tomorrow. x)
Old Feb 13th 2005, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

ben100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by claguey
Yes that was me on the end of the row 3rd from front, you should have grabbed me, I was dying to put faces to names from the forum, anyway, hopefully we will all get together for a barbie in Oz? What is Pauls second name, i know a few.

Phil.
Hello all, 1st post, for me. I'm in NYP at Thirsk and need a flight. Please pass the 12th march flight details. I have been looking at 550+ flights from london. But cheap is best!
Scott and the others looked like startled rabbits at the orientation day
regards
Ben100
Old Feb 13th 2005, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

19saturn is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been ringing around and on the net for about two weeks. Found one with Cathay for £355 left it a week then found that it was unavailable. Looks like the key is to move fast for a cheap flight. I go with Malasia Airlines on 13th 10pm from Heathrow landing on the Oz time of 7am on 15th £465. Its about a 5 hour wait at Kuala Lumpa. The bonus was that I could pick my seat. I obviously plumped for one with leg room. Available Via Sharon Wellings, Flight Centre 0141 341 3010. It was the seat choice rather than the price that did it for me. I've travelled the same route before with the same carrier and its not to bad (free Tiger lager)
Old Feb 14th 2005, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Nancy is an unknown quantity at this point

Morning All,

I booked our flights yesterday picked Hubbies up for £420 with Singapore (don't ring its Cheaper online)
I got mine for £380 (it is cheaper between 27 March -15 June, Then after that your looking at £800 - £900's!

I'm going to Melbourne with the dog first on that note ANIMAL AIRLINES - Are EXCELLENT just spoke to a friend whos dogs have finished Quarantine and she could not fault them, I have been dealing with them for a few weeks and their Customer Service was superb. Not sure how there prices compare but when you get a feeling for something you just know, Anyone using them call Tony on the Australia Desk on 01625 827414. - He is lovely and talks you through everything!

I banked with HSBC here and I got Hubbie added onto the account and they set up a HSBC Australia account, it is open and avaialble online now. The only downside is we had to put $2000 into it to open it, but whats the difference we'll be working in Machine Washable Dollars soon any way. So anyone with HSBC it is a couple of forms at your local branch.
Also they are one of the better banks when it comes to charges, not sure if your aware but Aussies get stung for all kinds of banking charges over there, if you write a cheque you get charged, take money out the wall you get charged I think there is even charges on Standing orders! But HSBC allow 12 free cheques a year and are pretty competitive with other charges so worth checking out!

Have a Good Day
Nancy

Last edited by Nancy; Feb 14th 2005 at 7:10 am.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Hi all, just called board doctors to check all is well and the bloods have come back ok and they have no idea where it all is! X rays the lot gone :scared: wait out
on line found airline network for manchester flights on 13/3 flight MN11 with the 5 hr stopover in kl. on screen price £448/465 called to see what the difference was and got quoted £391 all in! held quote untill 24th feb for me. Seems like a good deal. I didn't know about the 15th June price hike so looks like the camp followers are comming over sooner than later now. Anyone thinking of going to a country post?
ben 100
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ben100
Hi all, just called board doctors to check all is well and the bloods have come back ok and they have no idea where it all is! X rays the lot gone :scared: wait out
on line found airline network for manchester flights on 13/3 flight MN11 with the 5 hr stopover in kl. on screen price £448/465 called to see what the difference was and got quoted £391 all in! held quote untill 24th feb for me. Seems like a good deal. I didn't know about the 15th June price hike so looks like the camp followers are comming over sooner than later now. Anyone thinking of going to a country post?
ben 100
Hi Ben,

Yes the price Hike! Check with your airline to see the dates they may be different with others but I am sure on Singapores ones.... they do jump!
We are 'considering' a Country post, but I am also starting my own business so not entirely sure- as I need to make sure it is good for that, as I have been looking into it for sometime, and been enquiring with SA Gov etc so we'll see what happens.

See you there!
Nancy
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nancy
Hi Ben,

Yes the price Hike! Check with your airline to see the dates they may be different with others but I am sure on Singapores ones.... they do jump!
We are 'considering' a Country post, but I am also starting my own business so not entirely sure- as I need to make sure it is good for that, as I have been looking into it for sometime, and been enquiring with SA Gov etc so we'll see what happens.

See you there!
Nancy
Hi Nancy,
Vicky the better half, work's in NY Police HR over here so we want to be somewhere near a HR department in OZ. They (SAPOL) seem to be tight lipped on postings and how they will choose. Our own previous experiance would be sensible factors to consider? does this thing have a speeel check?
Ben100
Old Feb 14th 2005, 11:09 am
Claguey

claguey is an unknown quantity at this point

Well that's it, I've taken the plunge and booked my flight!!
It was the Malaysia airlines flight out of Manchester 20:00 on the 13th arrive 07:15 on the 15th in Adelaide with a 4hrs stop in Kuala Lumpar (just enough time to sample the local cuisine). Cost was:
£396 + tax + 1 way insurance = $476 economy including all drinks and food and you even get to choose a window or aisle seat.

Just hope the visa and medicals are oK !!
Anyone else catching that flight, let me know, we can get together for a few before, during and after the flight !

Phil.
Now I'm shi**ing myself !
Old Feb 14th 2005, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

It was the Malaysia airlines flight out of Manchester 20:00 on the 13th arrive 07:15 on the 15th in Adelaide with a 4hrs stop in Kuala Lumpar (just enough time to sample the local cuisine). Cost was:
£396 + tax + 1 way insurance = $476 economy including all drinks and food and you even get to choose a window or aisle seat.

Anyone else catching that flight, let me know, we can get together for a few before, during and after the flight !

Phil.

Well done! it has to be done sooner or later I must admit I was nervey when booking ours.... done now! you'll be sporting the lovely leather police jacket soon!
Nancy
Old Feb 14th 2005, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

IRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant future

Hi All

Just booked flights.

Singapore Airlines (internet) £454.80 including taxes, with a 40kg baggage allowance (contact Singapore airlines direct for baggage and choice of seating).

Departs Heathrow 11 March 2215 hrs flight number SQ321 just under 4hours in Singapore, arrive Adelaide 13 March 0755 hrs.

Anyone booking this flight contact us.

Dawn and Alan
Old Feb 14th 2005, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Phil.
These prices are all over the place! guess I had better book the £391 deal, probably be a rack in the baggage hold. Will meet at Manchester in the bar, I'll be the one with the big grin . The doctors rang and have found the medical forms. They were going to hang on to them untill the examining doctor returned from his holiday~(weeks). Now they have been reminded of the short time scale they are getting another doc to sign them off and are posting them off tomorrow. If anyone is waiting for bloods to come back I think it would be an idea to give the doctors a ring as they expect everything to be scheduled months in advance and seem to hang on to the medicals untill they have a batch to send off. i am doing up my house to sell, bathroom re-fit and new carpets down. Car boot sales ahead as I can't afford to ship our Junk.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

WNS24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all!!

Just found this site after many weeks of hearing about it!
It was even mentioned in my interview, by Briony Schrader!
Anyway, I'm one of the 'lucky ones' who is off to S.A on the 21st March.
I have to be honest, i have recieved the letter of appointment and terms etc, and i have got the medicals booked for next week (just in case it all went wrong).
But, i havent got a clue what to do in relation to the visa application.
Do i wait for Scott to let me know when to submit it??
Anyone have any info on setting up an Aussie bank account.
Couldn't make the info day on Saturday, as i've used all my leave up!
Claguey etc, i'm going from Manchester to, so once i get my head out of the clouds, i might be able to book a flight!
I await your responses!
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.