Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia?-Part 2

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia?-Part 2

Old Feb 12th 2005, 10:49 pm
servibabe

servibabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Originally Posted by gjc38
It was useful today but I was very conscious, even though at the last minute we were told that my husband is in the March intake, that people who are in the pool travelled there - from varying distances - to get no further information than they had yesterday. That must have been so s**t. It's clear that the guys doing the presentations are equally stuck in the middle of this political wrangling as those in the pool and felt sorry for them to some degree as they were obviously uncomfortable - however 'the pool' have their lives hanging in limbo still and I DO know how that feels, it was me until p.m yesterday and it's ....hellish.

Also - why only information packs for 60 - okay - we were one of the recipients but I felt embarrassed to be so, we were lucky to be 'labelled by the white carrier but it felt like discrimination against those awaiting intake dates. Relative to the cost of the entire recruitment, hire of Lords etc. giving an information pack (even if it was slightly different) would have been minimal! I do think these packs have been issued to all - only a third of it was totally relevant to the March intake. Anyway - I'm not whinging - I consider myself SO lucky and genuinely wish everyone in the pool all the rest of the luck over the next couple of weeks but my sense of fairness has ben challenged today regardless of which side of the fence I sat.

Whinge away the rest of you - it is a forum, you're entitled to your opinion - good on Kraka for sitting on it when the time came - but, everyone, while it's useful to vent a bit - it's more useful as a forum for people to be supported by those in the same boat - THOSE WHO ARE IN THE MARCH INTAKE - we must keep contributing when we go, the information we get on the ground out there will be of so much value to those making life changing and stressful decisions back here.
Judes
x
Judes, regarding the info packs, dont know if you had left but Scott told people over the mike that there would be packs sent to the pool people, so hope that makes you feel better , and to be honest i didnt really feel like you were getting something we wern't, after all you are the ones departing this forbidden country in the next 4 weeks and you need the info now. We will get ours and our dates soon enough....watch this space.

Coral

Last edited by servibabe; Feb 12th 2005 at 10:59 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 10:52 pm
servibabe

servibabe is an unknown quantity at this point

This forum is better that a good book, and just as addictive. Its 2350 and i find myself wide awake. i must go and try and get some beauty sleep now.

coral
Old Feb 12th 2005, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

gjc38 is an unknown quantity at this point

Coral - glad that was said and I'm also convinced you're absolutely right to stay positive - that's what I felt all along otherwise why do the extensive recruitment to the degree that they did - including extending the application deadline etc.? Would have nice for ALL to have had a date at least today though - the waiting makes it a bit of a roller coaster ride. Hope that news comes sooner than expected!

Sleep tight all!

Jx
Old Feb 12th 2005, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

neil549 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear all

Myself and the other half were two of the unfortunates not to get a phone call, but we are keeping our chins up and feeling confident that further courses will be announced this year.

Anyway, we have had enough of waiting around and booked a last minute 2 week holiday to Bali, leaving early in the morning, so night night, and no whinging from me for two weeks!!!!
Would send you all a post card, but will be thinking of you all hard at work, or hard packing up your entire lives to move to the other end of the earth!!

TTFN
Neil & Fi
Old Feb 12th 2005, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

19saturn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gjc38
It was useful today but I was very conscious, even though at the last minute we were told that my husband is in the March intake, that people who are in the pool travelled there - from varying distances - to get no further information than they had yesterday. That must have been so s**t. It's clear that the guys doing the presentations are equally stuck in the middle of this political wrangling as those in the pool and felt sorry for them to some degree as they were obviously uncomfortable - however 'the pool' have their lives hanging in limbo still and I DO know how that feels, it was me until p.m yesterday and it's ....hellish.

Also - why only information packs for 60 - okay - we were one of the recipients but I felt embarrassed to be so, we were lucky to be 'labelled by the white carrier but it felt like discrimination against those awaiting intake dates. Relative to the cost of the entire recruitment, hire of Lords etc. giving an information pack (even if it was slightly different) would have been minimal! I do think these packs have been issued to all - only a third of it was totally relevant to the March intake. Anyway - I'm not whinging - I consider myself SO lucky and genuinely wish everyone in the pool all the rest of the luck over the next couple of weeks but my sense of fairness has ben challenged today regardless of which side of the fence I sat.

Whinge away the rest of you - it is a forum, you're entitled to your opinion - good on Kraka for sitting on it when the time came - but, everyone, while it's useful to vent a bit - it's more useful as a forum for people to be supported by those in the same boat - THOSE WHO ARE IN THE MARCH INTAKE - we must keep contributing when we go, the information we get on the ground out there will be of so much value to those making life changing and stressful decisions back here.
Judes
x
Your right. I felt somewhat guilty leaving with the "white carrier bag" We now have a lot to prove to the SA gov, public and those we leave behind. If (when) we suceed the more chance there is of further courses being made up of UK applicants. I go leaving good friends behind who started the process with me. All we can do is achieve good results and hope it opens the doors for others to follow. I'm confident that there will be further intakes.

I also felt that the SAPOL staff wanted to confirm more dates but had been restricted by other parties for whatever means. The fact that they are extending the results beyond the usual 6 months adds some weight to this. All I can say is hang in there.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

JM&D is an unknown quantity at this point

Kraka,

Apologies if the post appeared to direct.....I understand that this is a forum and everyone is free to vent their feelings.

My one concern was that you were going vent those feelings away from the forum and instead place them on the lap of the 'recruiters' during the day today. No one would have benefited from that as the SAPOL team would have been flying back to OZ on the 14th with a last impression of us moaning.

Thanks for keeping the lid in place.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 7:49 am
Just Joined

peteg182 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JM&D
Kraka,

Apologies if the post appeared to direct.....I understand that this is a forum and everyone is free to vent their feelings.

My one concern was that you were going vent those feelings away from the forum and instead place them on the lap of the 'recruiters' during the day today. No one would have benefited from that as the SAPOL team would have been flying back to OZ on the 14th with a last impression of us moaning.

I am one of those in the pool but i came away from yesterdays information day feeling more upbeat then before. The SAPOL staff are caught in the middle of a political tug of war rope. It was nice to see that although feelings might have been running high no one caused a fuss or embarrased the UK police serices we all still currently work for...i think that was appeciated by all.
The white carrier bag thing..so what..good luck to you and remember you are our pioneers. If you mess things up they might never come calling so were relying on you somewhat!!!!!!!.
Met some great people including a few contributers to this forum. Hope people continue to use it as it has been a great source of info etc.

All the best

Pete
Old Feb 13th 2005, 8:15 am
Just Joined

ronniecat25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks,
You are the lucky ones. Until I met GJC38 in the pizza shop I didn't even know this site existed!!!!!!!!!
Clare, Tom and I went to the meeting not knowing what was going to be said and I felt that the staff were trying their best to keep the lid on it all. I was interviewed on the second day and offered the March course, I couldn't go because of house, family etc but was told by Brian (senior const) that there were courses in May, July and sept. That was confirmed by Supt Williams on the Thursday by phone. I think the problem is that the press got hold of this and have moaned about local applications. It's not the staffs fault. They have been shafted too!
I have a written offer of a job. I believe that after the Friday of the first week some didn't even get those. I would like to think that has no bearing on whether you will be offered or not.
For my part I believe that there will be another course or two because I don't think they would have kept mentioning keeping open the eligability for an extra 3 months. Remember, we are costing them them very little. We will have a zero failure rate, we are skilled and also will try that much harder because we want to be there.They will see that from the first course when it starts.
I wil post if and when I hear anything and read with interest now I know you are all here.
For our part we are going to place the house on the market and prepare because I am that confident. It doesn't cost any money until you sign and if you don't there will be no time if they say yes, you're going in May. I have postponed my medicals till after I'm told. Good luck to you all.
Ronnie
Old Feb 13th 2005, 8:20 am
A&M
Forum Regular

A&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by peteg182
I am one of those in the pool but i came away from yesterdays information day feeling more upbeat then before. The SAPOL staff are caught in the middle of a political tug of war rope. It was nice to see that although feelings might have been running high no one caused a fuss or embarrased the UK police serices we all still currently work for...i think that was appeciated by all.
The white carrier bag thing..so what..good luck to you and remember you are our pioneers. If you mess things up they might never come calling so were relying on you somewhat!!!!!!!.
Met some great people including a few contributers to this forum. Hope people continue to use it as it has been a great source of info etc.

All the best

Pete
Hear, Hear ..... It was nice to put faces to names (Rippos, Servibabe!) if nothing else is gained .. friendships have been formed and that doesn't happen all the time.

I quite enjoyed 'my day out' yesterday without my youngest, who at 2 yrs old would have wrecked the place. That wine went down very nicely thank you ... all three glasses!

This forum, like others, has become our daily paper, if postings stop I'll have to find another forum to contribute to and heaven forbid it might have to be the Crime Reduction Forum!!!

We're hanging in there, my husband and I, good luck to those who made March - I think you've got the toughest job of all ... you'll be our frontline and representatives - it's up to you so give it your best and most of all ... enjoy it!

Ang & Mick
Old Feb 13th 2005, 8:26 am
A&M
Forum Regular

A&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ronniecat25
Hi folks,
You are the lucky ones. Until I met GJC38 in the pizza shop I didn't even know this site existed!!!!!!!!!
Clare, Tom and I went to the meeting not knowing what was going to be said and I felt that the staff were trying their best to keep the lid on it all. I was interviewed on the second day and offered the March course, I couldn't go because of house, family etc but was told by Brian (senior const) that there were courses in May, July and sept. That was confirmed by Supt Williams on the Thursday by phone. I think the problem is that the press got hold of this and have moaned about local applications. It's not the staffs fault. They have been shafted too!
I have a written offer of a job. I believe that after the Friday of the first week some didn't even get those. I would like to think that has no bearing on whether you will be offered or not.
For my part I believe that there will be another course or two because I don't think they would have kept mentioning keeping open the eligability for an extra 3 months. Remember, we are costing them them very little. We will have a zero failure rate, we are skilled and also will try that much harder because we want to be there.They will see that from the first course when it starts.
I wil post if and when I hear anything and read with interest now I know you are all here.
For our part we are going to place the house on the market and prepare because I am that confident. It doesn't cost any money until you sign and if you don't there will be no time if they say yes, you're going in May. I have postponed my medicals till after I'm told. Good luck to you all.
Ronnie
Hi Ronnie

Like you my husband and I felt confident enough after our exam results that we made a decision then to place our house on the market. Friday's results made that decision a little wobbly but after yesterday's Information Day, we decided to stick with our decision. As you say, it costs nothing and you can always say no, or postpone. Only thing is do you live in my area, 'cos I don't need the competition?!?!?!

Joking aside, be positive take that leap ... there's nothing to loose (until of course you sign your house over!)

We've decided to book our medicals for 1st March as we found it nearly impossible to secure appointments immediately. Everywhere was fully booked until March. Again, you can always cancel appointments with sufficient notice.

So go for it!

Ang & Mick
Old Feb 13th 2005, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

kraka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JM&D
Kraka,

Hi,

No offence taken. I would not have done that out of respect for the families and the Recruiting Team, who I don't see as being responsible for this.

I see it like this:

I don't believe for one minute that Scott or the Team deliberately misled us. This process was running like a train. Then suddenly the wheel came off and it has limped along since. This coincided with the adverse press in Oz. The process got frozen to satisfy 'politically correct' sensitivities. Now we are seeing the compromises (end of Feb announcement, a 'competitive' pool of 160). Someone decided that it was OK to freeze the process after we had spent cash on it. I am saying that they will be held accountable.

I felt for the Team on Saturday. If they do read this, it can't have been nice knowing that there was a 'Leveller' in the room about to restart the Civil War. That was not my intenetion as I think the Team were stuck in a cleft stick.

Here's another view. Eventually (6-9months?) the sunshine will becaome the 'norm' and Australia will become a Western democraccy with all the strains and stresses of a westren society. SAPOL will be the dominant force in our lives for a long time to come, once reality sets in.

Guy's - if you are reading this, I know it's not your fault but this is a worrying start to a 'long-term' relationship
Old Feb 13th 2005, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kraka
Hi,

No offence taken. I would not have done that out of respect for the families and the Recruiting Team, who I don't see as being responsible for this.

I see it like this:

I don't believe for one minute that Scott or the Team deliberately misled us. This process was running like a train. Then suddenly the wheel came off and it has limped along since. This coincided with the adverse press in Oz. The process got frozen to satisfy 'politically correct' sensitivities. Now we are seeing the compromises (end of Feb announcement, a 'competitive' pool of 160). Someone decided that it was OK to freeze the process after we had spent cash on it. I am saying that they will be held accountable.

I felt for the Team on Saturday. If they do read this, it can't have been nice knowing that there was a 'Leveller' in the room about to restart the Civil War. That was not my intenetion as I think the Team were stuck in a cleft stick.

Here's another view. Eventually (6-9months?) the sunshine will becaome the 'norm' and Australia will become a Western democraccy with all the strains and stresses of a westren society. SAPOL will be the dominant force in our lives for a long time to come, once reality sets in.

Guy's - if you are reading this, I know it's not your fault but this is a worrying start to a 'long-term' relationship
Didn't realise this part of expats existed until a few hours ago! Cannot believe the hell and expense you lot are going through! Our situation is a lot simpler as I am a nurse and can go on the 136 visa, however convincing hubby to leave the force is another matter completely! He has serious doubts and is prepared to stay in the UK so he can continue his career. We both feel unsettled and in limbo! he's worried about the aptitude/psychometric testing, the interview (hes crap in front of a panel - but good at his job) and his age (33). In fairness we've only been back in the UK 9 weeks, but I feel homesick! I've told him it'll end in divorce! Me back in oz with the kids, and him in Suffolk with his new CCTV car (he's very proud)!
Old Feb 13th 2005, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

D and L will become famous soon enoughD and L will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Hi,

Just found the forum after it was mentioned yesterday at the (no)information day. I've been skimming over the forum and found it great as I'm still in the pot for more courses and glad that I'm not the only one dubious about whether it'll ever happen. (I've got to see an ENT specialist anyway, but that's another story).

I've got two kids aged 3 and 9months so the Mrs C is panicking about the flights. As and when it comes to it the forum would be great to sort out flights and maybe if there's others out there in the same position some mutual support and shared child-minding might be the order of the day. Keep up the good work and info-sharing. It's gonna be vital.

Dan.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by D and L
Hi,

Just found the forum after it was mentioned yesterday at the (no)information day. I've been skimming over the forum and found it great as I'm still in the pot for more courses and glad that I'm not the only one dubious about whether it'll ever happen. (I've got to see an ENT specialist anyway, but that's another story).

I've got two kids aged 3 and 9months so the Mrs C is panicking about the flights. As and when it comes to it the forum would be great to sort out flights and maybe if there's others out there in the same position some mutual support and shared child-minding might be the order of the day. Keep up the good work and info-sharing. It's gonna be vital.

Dan.
Dan how bad is the selection process? Trying to find out as much info as possible for hubby. Many thanks Annie X
Old Feb 13th 2005, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

kraka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by D and L
Hi,

Keep up the good work and info-sharing. It's gonna be vital.

Dan.
Hi,

Just to put something positive in for once(!)

Those woith aminals could try a quote from

PAR Air Livestock Services
Stanway
Colchester
Essex
CO3 OLN

01206 330332

They gave me a quote of just under £2000 to ship a cat and a Border Collie to Melbourne. If i have got my fingers and toes right, the total cost is about £3500 (for the two), after vets bills, costs in Oz, etc. Which seems quite competetive with earlier quotes I've seen. May be worth a look.

I've used them before and they were OK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.