Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Old Dec 31st 2004, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

codona is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Originally Posted by HCK
Hello there, my husband has applied to SA Police, and has been asked to sit the Entrance exam on 6th January. I also agree the timescale is unrealistic! however this is the chance we have been waiting for since we visited Perth two years ago. Let me know if you hear anything, good luck

let us know if you hear??

good luck!
[/QUOTE]

Hi,
I know a lot of Officers who are in the same boat. The main thing that is forcing the pace is the type of visa selected to accomodate police officers. It carries a number of conditions ie you only have six months to start work with the sponsoring employer. Hint, get your police checks done now as they are taking 39 days to return.

Jim
Old Dec 31st 2004, 2:56 pm
HCK
Forum Regular

HCK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I know a lot of Officers who are in the same boat. The main thing that is forcing the pace is the type of visa selected to accomodate police officers. It carries a number of conditions ie you only have six months to start work with the sponsoring employer. Hint, get your police checks done now as they are taking 39 days to return.

Jim[/QUOTE]
Thanks Jim
I'll get one the case, do you know anyone sitting the exam on Thursday?
HCK
Old Dec 31st 2004, 5:39 pm
IWH
Just Joined

IWH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HCK
Hi,

Jim
Thanks Jim
HCK[/QUOTE]

I am there on Thursday afternoon.

I do understand why they are doing it this way, however the timescales are very challenging to say the least. Most people I know who have emigrated take many months if not years to plan and carry out the move.

No doubt many people who get through will have properties to sell and if like me have kids to consider then it becomes even more difficult. I can't help thinking the speed at which they are doing it will lose them a number of good candidates who just cannot meet the timescales. Anyway, chance of a lifetime ?

good luck

IWH
Old Jan 1st 2005, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Hi,

I know a few that are going forward for the aptitude tests. You may wish to visit www.immi.gov.au and download "book 5". There is still a requirement to satisfy immigration law assuming you/partner are successful with your police application.

Jim
Old Jan 1st 2005, 3:25 pm
HCK
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IWH
Thanks Jim
HCK

I am there on Thursday afternoon.

I do understand why they are doing it this way, however the timescales are very challenging to say the least. Most people I know who have emigrated take many months if not years to plan and carry out the move.

No doubt many people who get through will have properties to sell and if like me have kids to consider then it becomes even more difficult. I can't help thinking the speed at which they are doing it will lose them a number of good candidates who just cannot meet the timescales. Anyway, chance of a lifetime ?

good luck

IWH[/QUOTE]

Thanks IWH, I agree the timescales are extremelty tight with houses to sell and children to consider of which we have three; two at university and one in Junior School!! perhaps I'll see you there on Thursday afternoon, where are you travelling from?
Good luck
Old Jan 1st 2005, 3:26 pm
HCK
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by codona
Hi,

I know a few that are going forward for the aptitude tests. You may wish to visit www.immi.gov.au and download "book 5". There is still a requirement to satisfy immigration law assuming you/partner are successful with your police application.

Jim
Thanks Jim
I've downloaded booklet 5, more reading!! Regards HCK
Old Jan 1st 2005, 9:21 pm
HCK
Forum Regular

Question Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Has anyone looked into what will happen to their police pension if they emigrate to OZ, is it just a case of freezing it until you are 65? Many thanks HCK
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 8:41 am
IWH
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HCK
Has anyone looked into what will happen to their police pension if they emigrate to OZ, is it just a case of freezing it until you are 65? Many thanks HCK

I have e-mailed Scott Ostler in London re this. No reply as yet, however I suspect I may advised to contact SAPOL direct. I have also asked if they are looking for everyone to start on 21st March or are having a number of courses starting from that date. I will post the replies.

HCK...Travelling from the frozen north, you?

IWH
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 4:23 pm
HCK
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IWH
I have e-mailed Scott Ostler in London re this. No reply as yet, however I suspect I may advised to contact SAPOL direct. I have also asked if they are looking for everyone to start on 21st March or are having a number of courses starting from that date. I will post the replies.

HCK...Travelling from the frozen north, you?

IWH
Thanks for replying I am from the Midlands Leicestershire area, so I am catching the train on Thursday morning. Thanks for the info about pensions.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 11:24 am
APS
Just Joined

APS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I guess i'm after a bit of reassurance !! I've 11 years in the job just taken promotion to Sergeant and saw this opportunity. (we visited Sydney in 1997 and fell in love with the place). I am concerned about starting over again and how financially different it is in Aus, comparisons etc. :scared:

Has anyone been in the same kind of position or is in the same position?
Regards APS
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 3:50 pm
IWH
Just Joined

Originally Posted by APS
Hi,

I guess i'm after a bit of reassurance !! I've 11 years in the job just taken promotion to Sergeant and saw this opportunity. (we visited Sydney in 1997 and fell in love with the place). I am concerned about starting over again and how financially different it is in Aus, comparisons etc. :scared:

Has anyone been in the same kind of position or is in the same position?
Regards APS
I've got 18 in and am a Temp/Inspector with a fighting chance of substantive rank. Opportunities beyond that however are very limited in my force due to high number of AP's. Prospect of the rest of my service doing pretty much the same thing ain't exactly appealing so going back to basics learning again would be OK.

I know what you mean, it is such a huge step, particularly with families. I find myself saying what the hell go for it one minute, then thinking I must be mad the next.

Re finance, hopefully profit from house sale here would mean mortgage free living there, hence compensating for the drop in pay.

IWH
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 6:13 pm
APS
Just Joined

APS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IWH
I've got 18 in and am a Temp/Inspector with a fighting chance of substantive rank. Opportunities beyond that however are very limited in my force due to high number of AP's. Prospect of the rest of my service doing pretty much the same thing ain't exactly appealing so going back to basics learning again would be OK.

I know what you mean, it is such a huge step, particularly with families. I find myself saying what the hell go for it one minute, then thinking I must be mad the next.

Re finance, hopefully profit from house sale here would mean mortgage free living there, hence compensating for the drop in pay.

IWH
Thanks for the reply,
I feel the same, it is a huge move to make especially with children. I think the problem at the moment is not knowing enough about it all, it would have been good if they had held an information seminar prior to the application stage.
Oh well at this moment in time I say go for it but that may change by the start of Eastenders !!!

APS
Old Jan 4th 2005, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

ccuz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by APS
Thanks for the reply,
I feel the same, it is a huge move to make especially with children. I think the problem at the moment is not knowing enough about it all, it would have been good if they had held an information seminar prior to the application stage.
Oh well at this moment in time I say go for it but that may change by the start of Eastenders !!!

APS
good luck whatever the decision
Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

SAPOL update.

I should say that I work for OQ-VISAS.COM.

I have a number of clients in for the exams and nearly all are worried. I have pre screened them and they are good to go. what I am saying is that it is not just about being a good policeman, you also have to migrateable. I received an Email this morning from Snr Srgnt Recruitment SAPOL giving an extension to the 14/01 for pre screened applicants. There will now be 2 test intakes. People/Applicants are panicking re timescales, concentrate on the job at hand. Bear in mind that the tests are designed for of the street applicants and that to ensure fairness to natural Australians they have to be delivered. The likely hood is if you are reading this, you are good to go. When you come to making your migration request/form thats when to panic!

My name is James Codona tel 0131 625 6922

we can help but I want to be honest and say there is a charge we are a professional registerd migration practice
Old Jan 4th 2005, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

The Hastie Family is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by codona
SAPOL update.

I should say that I work for OQ-VISAS.COM.

I have a number of clients in for the exams and nearly all are worried. I have pre screened them and they are good to go. what I am saying is that it is not just about being a good policeman, you also have to migrateable. I received an Email this morning from Snr Srgnt Recruitment SAPOL giving an extension to the 14/01 for pre screened applicants. There will now be 2 test intakes. People/Applicants are panicking re timescales, concentrate on the job at hand. Bear in mind that the tests are designed for of the street applicants and that to ensure fairness to natural Australians they have to be delivered. The likely hood is if you are reading this, you are good to go. When you come to making your migration request/form thats when to panic!

My name is James Codona tel 0131 625 6922

we can help but I want to be honest and say there is a charge we are a professional registerd migration practice
Maybe just being slow but don't really understand what this is all about! Do you mean there will be two starting dates, the 21st March and then another? What is the extension to the 14th January actually for? Why would people need an extension at this point? Sorry for the questions, just not really grasping what the problem is!
Carolyn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.