British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Police (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/)
-   -   Police officer transfer from uk to Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/police-officer-transfer-uk-canada-763841/)

notbrazil Dec 26th 2014 1:32 am

Re: Police officer transfer from uk to Canada

Emailed South BC Transit Police (there were rumours that they might take on directly from the UK in 2013 and it came to nothing). Asked them if the new visa regulations might offer some hope for an international recruitment drive. They got back to me straight away saying that international recruitment is only possible once the applicant has achieved PR status and that they will not be sponsoring immigration applications.

Seems to be a non-starter for the time being.

gigi69 Nov 22nd 2015 6:38 pm

looks like I'm not the only one seeing things like they are ...
This is the best rated comment from this article Edmonton police shooting: Why U.K. officers come to Canada - World - CBC News
"It is interesting that there isn't any outrage at the fact that Canada is recruiting abroad for police officers when locals (especially young people) are struggling to find a decent full-time job. "
This is the 3rd best rated
"But I can't help but wonder, (when we poach from other countries for their trained and skilled people like this) why it isn't possible to train Canadian born people to do this work? Why can't we have enough doctors, nurses, police officers etc trained here? Why do our young people have to drift downward into low end jobs? Why can't our system look to motivating our own people to be success stories and not jobless statistics?"

Pollyana Nov 22nd 2015 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by gigi69 (Post 11800328)
looks like I'm not the only one seeing things like they are ...
This is the best rated comment from this article Edmonton police shooting: Why U.K. officers come to Canada - World - CBC News
"It is interesting that there isn't any outrage at the fact that Canada is recruiting abroad for police officers when locals (especially young people) are struggling to find a decent full-time job. "
This is the 3rd best rated
"But I can't help but wonder, (when we poach from other countries for their trained and skilled people like this) why it isn't possible to train Canadian born people to do this work? Why can't we have enough doctors, nurses, police officers etc trained here? Why do our young people have to drift downward into low end jobs? Why can't our system look to motivating our own people to be success stories and not jobless statistics?"

I didn't think Canada was recruiting abroad for police officers? Have they started again?

nige1521 Nov 23rd 2015 1:29 pm

As far as I'm aware, no Canadian Police Service is recruiting internationally.

gigi69 Nov 25th 2015 3:42 am

Originally Posted by nige1521 (Post 11800814)
As far as I'm aware, no Canadian Police Service is recruiting internationally.

Well, maybe EPS should (again), since they're struggling so much ...
/sarcasm
It's so funny to see Chief Rod Knecht still playing the "oil industry is stealing all the good people" 9 months after the oil price crash and all the layoffs. Also, as a personal anecdote, I've never met a truck driver making $160.000/year, but hey, he's the Chief, so he must be telling the truth, eh.
Edmonton police scrambling for recruits in competitive market - Edmonton - CBC News
ps : ignore all the mean comments at the bottom ;)

stewie_griffin Nov 29th 2015 7:34 pm

[... I've never met a truck driver making $160.000/year, but hey, he's the Chief, so he must be telling the truth, eh.[/QUOTE]

Turns out he probably was telling the truth:
"When you include overtime, truck drivers in the province are earning up to $170,000..."

How to earn $170,000 a year driving a truck (Warning: it’s messy) - Quartz

gigi69 Nov 30th 2015 2:35 am

Originally Posted by stewie_griffin (Post 11804701)
Turns out he probably was telling the truth:

Dude, when's the last time you read the news ? Chief Knecht said this on May 25, 2015, when the price of oil was $60. Your article is from 2012, when it was $100. Also, just FYI, now it's $40 ... I'd really like to know how many truckers are still making that kind of money in Alberta. Would you like to enlighten me/us ?

stewie_griffin Nov 30th 2015 1:52 pm

I know what the price of oil is.

There are still truck drivers in Alberta making exactly what the chief says.

Dude.

gigi69 Dec 1st 2015 4:20 am

Originally Posted by stewie_griffin (Post 11805163)
There are still truck drivers in Alberta making exactly what the chief says.

Of course there are. Even if there's only one, you and the Chief are right, right ?

stewie_griffin Dec 1st 2015 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by gigi69 (Post 11805600)
Of course there are. Even if there's only one, you and the Chief are right, right ?

There's more than one.

Yes, we are right.

robinswh Jan 14th 2016 4:20 pm

I often hear the word "transferred" when british police talk of moving to Canada. To be correct you resign from your Uk force and join a Canadian one when you get here . I joined the Calgary City police in 1977 after service in Bermuda I had to start again and was quite shocked how little UK service counted in their eyes. There was one ex Glasgow officer and three others with Canadian experience RCMP and Toronto met in my recruit class. The ex Canadian officers were bumped up pay wise after a couple of years myself and my Scottish mate weren't.