British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Police (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/)
-   -   Police officer transfer from uk to Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/police-officer-transfer-uk-canada-763841/)

Pollyana May 7th 2014 11:27 am

Re: Police officer transfer from uk to Canada

Originally Posted by Philbo2005 (Post 11249760)
Not when you are blatantly trying to cause a row and become abusive because you don't like how an answer has been given. Seems to be the general feel of all posts by this person in my opinion

Not many mods actually drop into these threads, unless a post is flagged is being out of order/ rule breaking. If you feel that this person's posts are breaking the rules, then please report them, and several Mods and Admin will aee the report and be aware of and alert to the person's attitude.

I have to say that until that nasty personal comment, which has been dealt with, he/she does not seem to be breaking rules, merely expressing opinions, but if you report the posts a wider audience will be able to judge....

nige1521 May 7th 2014 8:27 pm

Hi all,

I see little point in labouring the issue. We all have our views on this subject. I have invited our learned friend to visit me and discuss his points in detail, to see if he/she has any ideas of their own for recruiting. Maybe they have merit and are something EPS can think about as part of our long term strategy. It would seem that he/she has declined the offer, so I will waste no more time on the subject.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Philbo2005 May 7th 2014 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by nige1521 (Post 11250860)
Hi all,

I see little point in labouring the issue. We all have our views on this subject. I have invited our learned friend to visit me and discuss his points in detail, to see if he/she has any ideas of their own for recruiting. Maybe they have merit and are something EPS can think about as part of our long term strategy. It would seem that he/she has declined the offer, so I will waste no more time on the subject.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Couldn't agree more...

gigi69 May 10th 2014 1:26 am

Originally Posted by stewie_griffin (Post 11248403)
Bit harsh.

Just my 2c. Yes, a bit harsh, but it's still my opinion. Like I said before, I just can't swallow the idea that the police force in Edmonton competes with Tim Hortons and McDonalds for the same labour force. Or maybe they do ... :)
On the same note, I'm anxiously waiting for news articles about how people who'd like to become surgeons are ditching medical school and choose instead to become oil field workers, beacuse it pays so much more ...
/sarcasm

Pollyana May 10th 2014 6:13 am

Originally Posted by nige1521 (Post 11250860)
Hi all,

Kind Regards

Nigel

For what its worth, I think its a shame the offer wasn't taken up - very generous on your part and could have led to some interesting discussions :)

christmasoompa May 11th 2014 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by gigi69 (Post 11254413)
I just can't swallow the idea that the police force in Edmonton competes with Tim Hortons and McDonalds for the same labour force.

:confused: Where on earth have you got that from?! It's utter tosh!

I'm not sure if you're misunderstanding Canadian immigration or just believing what somebody else has told you, but EPS and Tim Hortons don't share some kind of pool of underachieving foreign workers for their applicants. :lol:

nige1521 May 20th 2014 5:19 pm

A new "Express Entry" Visa has been announced for January 2015.

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?...tr.yrndVl=2014

Nige

Philbo2005 May 22nd 2014 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by nige1521 (Post 11268411)

Nige

Hi Nige

Thanks for posting that, looks promising!

Do you think EPS will be able to explore that avenue then?

Regards

nige1521 May 22nd 2014 2:58 pm

Hi,

It is an avenue we are looking into, we're hoping for some news in the very near future as to a potential UK trip.

But, I will reiterate, we have no definite plans yet. If a decision is made, it will be well advertised.

Nige

christmasoompa May 22nd 2014 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by nige1521 (Post 11268411)

Nige

That was announced months ago. Do keep up at the back. :lol:

nige1521 May 22nd 2014 3:38 pm

It was indeed, takes a while for the stagecoach to reach us here in the Prairies lol

Nige

gigi69 May 24th 2014 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11256426)
:confused: Where on earth have you got that from?! It's utter tosh!

I'm not sure if you're misunderstanding Canadian immigration or just believing what somebody else has told you, but EPS and Tim Hortons don't share some kind of pool of underachieving foreign workers for their applicants. :lol:

The "the oil fields are stealing all the workforce" argument is mostly used by the employers paying low wages with no benefits etc., like timmy's and mickey d's, and they are somehow right. Like I said before, I don't hear the same arguments from any other employer paying $100k and above (that's what a police officer in Edmonton brings home in a year, on average), except for EPS. Vancouver is just 1.5 hours away by plane and VPD doesn't seem to have any issues with recruitment, on the contrary.
ps : I finally (it took me a while, I admit) understand why this argument is being used ... ;)

christmasoompa May 31st 2014 10:53 am

Originally Posted by gigi69 (Post 11274346)
The "the oil fields are stealing all the workforce" argument is mostly used by the employers paying low wages with no benefits etc., like timmy's and mickey d's, and they are somehow right. Like I said before, I don't hear the same arguments from any other employer paying $100k and above (that's what a police officer in Edmonton brings home in a year, on average), except for EPS. Vancouver is just 1.5 hours away by plane and VPD doesn't seem to have any issues with recruitment, on the contrary.
ps : I finally (it took me a while, I admit) understand why this argument is being used ... ;)

Nope. Your comment about the police force competing with Tim Horton for workers makes no sense to me whatsoever, and your post above hasn't clarified it. I'm still none the wiser! :lol:

mhfoster Jun 1st 2014 12:16 am

Gigi, do you have a source for your contention that EPS members `take home' on average $100,00 CAD p/a? To `take home' that money means AFTER tax. At a typical 35-40% tax rate that would mean that EPS members on average gross around, what, 140,000 CAD p/a. Just wondering....

stewie_griffin Jun 13th 2014 1:03 am

Couldn't tell you what 'average' EPS members get or if I constitute a genuine 'source'. But if you're working patrol and have 5 years in, you should be making about CAD$120k pa (+/- 10k). The above estimate for deductions is probably about right, so you can guesstimate the take-home pay fairly accurately.

Recruits make less, traffic members make more... it all depends.

ronin852 Jun 16th 2014 6:56 pm

If your having no luck with Canada, there other opportunities out there, depending how desperate you are.
Montserrat are accepting international applications. You got to be under 35 though.

St Helena is too as well as the Falklands

ryzie Jul 3rd 2014 8:45 pm

Good evening forum! Sorry for dropping in at the end of this thread, but i have read it with interest! Wanted to say 'hello' as a new member.

I'm in a similar boat to many on here it seems and have wanted to transfer over for a few years now.

My first question if anyone can help......I am planning a trip to Canada this September and wanted to canvas to see if anyone knows which Police Departments would allow me to attend and run with them for a shift or two to see what is really like day to day..?

I have no set plans as to where in Canada i am going to go, but this will be a factor if I can arrange it.

Pincher Jul 4th 2014 11:52 am

Hi and welcome.

You may get more replies if you start a new thread; 'Canada. Ride along experiences.' for example. That way more people will see what you're asking after rather than it being 'lost' in another thread.

Good luck.

stewie_griffin Jul 4th 2014 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by ryzie (Post 11324269)

My first question if anyone can help......I am planning a trip to Canada this September and wanted to canvas to see if anyone knows which Police Departments would allow me to attend and run with them for a shift or two to see what is really like day to day..?

I have no set plans as to where in Canada i am going to go, but this will be a factor if I can arrange it.

Don't know about all of them, but the police in Edmonton and Calgary do. You could then include a trip to see the largest easter egg in the world, the magnificent Pysanka, in Vegreville, there's also the Pysanka Festival every July in the town.

The Rockies are also nearby.

ryzie Jul 7th 2014 5:40 pm

Hi again. Thanks for the replies, I will set up the new thread now and see what happens!

ronin852 Jul 9th 2014 5:47 pm

Ryzie, are you already a copper? I am assuming you are. I would just walk into any nick out there , introduce yourself show them your badge. Tell them your wanting a ride a long. that would work. It does in the US thats what I did. They are more than happy to have you in their car.providing you sign a waiver saying you wont sue them if you get hurt.

Good luck

ryzie Jul 9th 2014 8:46 pm

@ronin852 - Hi ya, yes i'm a serving front line officer. I think i will do just that if i don't get anything confirmed before I go. Just wanted to test the water in advance, will see how i get on. cheers.

ronin852 Jul 9th 2014 10:20 pm

No problem my friend, hope it all works out for you.

foregonereality Aug 15th 2014 12:21 am

Hi Guys. Just curious as to whether there's any news on this?

I've been looking at the CEC website and see that Police Officers are eligible however zero of the 200 places have been allocated. I suppose it's mainly due to police forces refusing non PR applicants. Maybe :)

CEC list just type in 'police officer'.

jim2001 Aug 15th 2014 7:44 am

Oh good find,

Looks like they will be accepting applications from Police from January 2015 only 200 accepted thou.

Can anyone with a bit more knowledge on the subject confirm??

Cheers,

Jim

christmasoompa Aug 15th 2014 7:59 am

Originally Posted by jim2001 (Post 11369847)
Oh good find,

Looks like they will be accepting applications from Police from January 2015 only 200 accepted thou.

Can anyone with a bit more knowledge on the subject confirm??

Cheers,

Jim

Police officers have *always* been an eligible occupation for a CEC app, any 'skilled' job is, which covers thousands and thousands of them. They can also apply for PR as Skilled Workers too.

But to qualify for a PR via the CEC, you need to have worked in Canada for a year or more in that job, and therein lies the problem - no force is currently prepared to sponsor an applicant for a Temp Work Permit. Ditto for a Skilled Worker PR app, you'd need to have a valid LMIA/TWP before you could apply.

In January the whole system is changing to an EOI system, so again, unless police forces in Canada are prepared to sponsor applicants in, that's not going to be an option either.

Hope that clarifies it?

ryzie Aug 17th 2014 7:44 pm

Evening forum. I'm going to Calgary next month (15th of September 2014) and have a ride along arranged. I also have a meeting with the CPS recruitment team. If anything interesting comes to light as a result i'll post here.

foregonereality Aug 26th 2014 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by ryzie (Post 11372232)
Evening forum. I'm going to Calgary next month (15th of September 2014) and have a ride along arranged. I also have a meeting with the CPS recruitment team. If anything interesting comes to light as a result i'll post here.

Please do fill us in on what they have to say..!

christmasoompa - thanks for the heads up. I'd never seen a proper table outlining professions and number of allocated places for CEC so was curious when I saw it. I can understand how security services in general require extensive background checking and individuals who understand the role they're doing and the people they're interacting with. What puzzles me however is that there are other valued, important Government professions actively seeking applications from Irish/UK applicants.

I see it every day with the number of nurses, social workers and paramedics who leave here to go to Canada and Aus for a better lifestyle. I don't understand why police forces aren't considering the same given the success of the lads and ladies who've made the move in the past.

ann m Aug 27th 2014 2:14 am

Originally Posted by foregonereality (Post 11382646)
I don't understand why police forces aren't considering the same given the success of the lads and ladies who've made the move in the past.

They just don't need to right now - most forces in Canada currently have enough applications from home grown talent - they simply don't really need to look elsewhere. They might again. I highly doubt Calgary Police Service would hire any more British officers - don't think the Chief would be supportive - he's not a fan! :p

nige1521 Aug 27th 2014 10:51 pm

Hi all,

Just a quick update in relation to Edmonton Police and a POTENTIAL UK recruitment program.

As you all know, I have been working on a plan in relation to a potential UK program and to date, no decision has been made either way. I MAY have some news in the coming weeks, so keep on eye on here, the JOINEPS website or you can email me, my work email address, is already listed above somewhere.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Tam74 Sep 1st 2014 12:00 pm

Hi Nigel,
Do we have an idea yet of the proposed criteria ? We were gutted earlier this year when hubby couldnt apply for WAPOL with 13 years front line experience !

nige1521 Sep 1st 2014 4:48 pm

Hi Tam74,

Sorry, I don't have any details yet. As I have said, this is all still potential only. Nothing has been decided either way.

Historically, we did not have any strict criteria service wise, so long as you were a serving police officer. We (EPS), did not have a maximum amount of service before you would be ineligible. Will that change? I don't know. My only advice is that we will be looking for excellent leadership skills, with evidence as well as excellent and recent investigative skills. Any program, if it does go ahead, will be highly competitive. Although, we don't have numbers set, I don't think we are looking for large numbers of hires as we (EPS and CPS) have done before.

I will reiterate though, this is still all up in the air.

Nigel

jim2001 Sep 30th 2014 11:05 am

Anybody know of updates in relation to this?

Cheers,

Jim

ryzie Sep 30th 2014 6:26 pm

Good evening all.

Update regards to my trip to Canada. I had an excellent time as always out there. My ride along with the CPS and time spent with the officers in stations there was a good learning curve. Keeping it short, it is the same job as it is here, just nicer people in general and better resources. Their Chief supports the boots on the ground 100%. They get time every shift for fitness. Cars, uniform, over time, rest day workings....not a problem in the slightest. If you want/need it, you get it. Team moral is good, and the Public love the CPS....98% satisfaction rate when last surveyed, i was told.

Meeting with recruitment - I got the usual 'we aren't looking to recruit from abroad', which i knew already. However, due to some 'vetting' issues from previous recruitment drives (people getting good references because their home forces wanted to get rid!) they have introduced yet another hurdle....quite a big one to be fair. They will not take anyone who has not lived in Canada for less than 3 years. This three years gives them Canadian sources for references.

On the front line, they are still short. The usual too many jobs and not enough cops. They put through a course of 25 new recruits every other month to keep the numbers steady. But from what i was told, a lot drop out or leave and they aren't getting the rite people for the job.....

Do i still want to move and work out there..? Absolutely.

stewie_griffin Oct 24th 2014 2:24 pm

400 new officers needed, Edmonton police commission says - Edmonton - CBC News

What this actually means in practice for foreign recruitment over the next few years is hard to say, but assuming the city expands at the predicted rate and the labour market remains as tight as it is now, recruitment from overseas may be an option.

jacko6686 Oct 26th 2014 1:26 pm

Hi Guys,

New to the forum, I am currently a serving Police Officer looking (hopefully) to transfer to a Western Canadian Police Service eventually.

Looking at this thread it appears I don't have much of a chance unless EDMONTON police decide they want to look overseas to help get these 400 new officers they may be looking to recruit. Even then I won't be eligible unless they consider the "express entry"scheme.

If I have this correct, the last time any Canadian forces recruited from the UK was 2007. Would anyone be able to tell me the circumstances of why that happened?

I did think of an Australian or New Zealand police but I really fell for Canada when I was based in BATUS a few years ago, so if I can't go to Canada I am really not bothered about going anywhere else.

christmasoompa Oct 26th 2014 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by jacko6686 (Post 11451006)
Looking at this thread it appears I don't have much of a chance unless EDMONTON police decide they want to look overseas to help get these 400 new officers they may be looking to recruit. Even then I won't be eligible unless they consider the "express entry"scheme.

Unlikely that there will be overseas recruitment imo, so have a look at other visa options. There are over 50+ routes to a visa for Canada, and not all of them require a job offer.

Do you have a spouse with skills more in demand? Do you have a specific province you'd want to go to, or would you consider any?

If you post in the Canadian immigration section with more info, then hopefully somebody would be able to suggest a visa route for you.

Good luck.

foregonereality Dec 21st 2014 7:00 pm

I'm sorry if I boosted peoples hopes by updating this!

I've been browsing all the latest updates as regards the Express Entry system that's coming in 2015 - I can't help but wonder will Edmonton, amongst other bodies, consider using this expedited system to take in the 200, NOC B experienced police officers? As soon as the system's up I think I'll throw in an 'expression of interest' with CIC and see if one of them might want to talk with me!

In the meantime I hope Nigel is doing his best from the inside ;)

bobbyleo Dec 23rd 2014 10:29 am

I don't know about Canada, but I did leave my police career in the UK to move to the USA. Became a citizen then a police officer again.

No such thing as a transfer. Have to rejoin, start at the bottom and wiggle your way back in and up.

Downside is that between leaving the UK and going through the entire US immigration process, there was a gap of about 9 years before I could become an officer again.

If you hold dual citizenship and could by pass all the immigration route then the process would be a lot quicker, maybe immediately.

Regards.

bobbyleo Dec 23rd 2014 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by bobbyleo (Post 11511190)
a gap of about 9 years

FYI….that was almost 7 years to eventually get my citizenship and 2 years fluffing around.