British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Police (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/)
-   -   Police officer transfer from uk to Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/police-officer-transfer-uk-canada-763841/)

gigi69 Mar 31st 2014 6:12 am

Re: Police officer transfer from uk to Canada

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 11197545)
It's not just a case of trying the popular immigrant countries - it's surely a case of trying to find recruits to match policing styles and with a similar (policing) culture?

Imho the closest similar (policing) culture would be the one in the US, not the one in the UK. No recruitment drives there, as far as I remember ... probably because of the slim chances to find potential good quality applicants to meet our goals among the 34,500 officers of NYPD, right ? :)

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 11197545)
Most of ex UK guys that came out on the previous wave of recruitment around 2007/2008 were bums on seats that could hit the ground running, so to speak.

Well, then let's cancel all local recruitment and let's go to the UK for all our needs, since their guys can hit our ground running, so to speak. Why waste time and money just for 1 or 2 ? They're already trained, they speak the language etc., let's get them all :)
Geez, I wonder why nobody thought about this yet ...

geordiebloke Mar 31st 2014 7:52 am

Originally Posted by rae (Post 11196710)
I would not feed the troll further, clearly anti-police and has popped up on a police thread for no other reason than to stir the pot.

The reasons for recruitment outside the city, then province, then internationally are blindingly obvious to anyone with a notion of common sense, socio-political awareness and how younger people now see policing, against those of us who joined many years ago. The alternative to this is do what has happened elsewhere, lower standards significantly to the point where you appeal to a wider pool of applicants, thus avoiding the need to recruit anywhere other than locally and one of the reasons other countries are not using this method of recruitment.

This policy of international recruitment should be applauded not derided, it brings diversity to the job and allows us to become even more representative of the community we serve, which has a large proportion of immigrants funnily enough.

She is probably one of the locals who has failed to meet the required standards, so is feeling understandably raw........don't be too harsh

gigi69 Mar 31st 2014 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by geordiebloke (Post 11197657)
She is probably one of the locals who has failed to meet the required standards, so is feeling understandably raw........don't be too harsh

Elementary, my dear Watson.

geordiebloke Apr 1st 2014 3:12 am

Originally Posted by gigi69 (Post 11198714)
Elementary, my dear Watson.

:thumbup:

ann m Apr 2nd 2014 4:13 am

Originally Posted by gigi69 (Post 11197597)
Well, then let's cancel all local recruitment and let's go to the UK for all our needs, since their guys can hit our ground running, so to speak. Why waste time and money just for 1 or 2 ? They're already trained, they speak the language etc., let's get them all :)
Geez, I wonder why nobody thought about this yet ...

I'm still not clear on your objection to the Canadian services (well, Alberta really) looking outside Canada, when they needed to...they got what they needed, when they needed it. They bolstered their numbers for a while and they haven't really looked elsewhere since 2007.

If they feel they need to recruit outside Canada again, maybe they will and maybe they will pick a different country to target, and maybe they will look to the UK again...

Every industry pulls in people from all over the world to suit their needs - it's just business, and there are millions of people willing to relocate all over the world for the work.

I don't think any of us disagree with your lack of enthusiasm over the "entitled" comments of one poster.

gigi69 Apr 2nd 2014 5:00 am

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 11200715)
Every industry pulls in people from all over the world to suit their needs - it's just business

It's sad if policing has become a business, that's all I have to say.

ann m Apr 2nd 2014 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by gigi69 (Post 11200735)
It's sad if policing has become a business, that's all I have to say.

You're naive if you think it isn't a business these days. :sneaky:

gigi69 Apr 2nd 2014 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 11201269)
You're naive if you think it isn't a business these days. :sneaky:

I totally agree with you. Probably one of the reasons why I'll never become a police officer.

gigi69 Apr 8th 2014 2:24 am

I just found this article. Like ann m said, looks like everything's a business these days. Well, at least EPS pays more than minimum wage, unlike McDonald’s and Tim Hortons :)

The Bank of Canada, the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, Tim Hortons, McDonald’s, Maple Leaf Foods, the City of Vancouver, the Edmonton Police Service and eateries of various vintages are among the thousands of employers who’ve been approved for accelerated labour market opinions: Their need for foreign workers, they said (and the federal government agreed), was so urgent they required an expedited approval process.
http://globalnews.ca/news/474208/who...-be-surprised/

nige1521 Apr 9th 2014 7:41 pm

Hi Gigi,

I have just read that article, but what it doesn't say is that Police Officers within the Edmonton Police Service have never been hired as a Temporary Foreign Worker. The rules regarding the hiring of Police officers are mandated and can only be either Permanent Residents or Canadian Citizens.

In relation to a previous post on this thread, Policing in the US is a completely different ballgame to Policing in Canada, in respect of legislation and policy. In defence of the UK system, Policing in respect of legislation and policy is comparable, with a lot of Canadian Law being based on UK Common Law.

I'm not here to say, where is the best place to recruit from, I am simply saying we as a Police Service, as well as other Canadian Police Services need a structured plan to deal with a National decline in applicants.

Nigel

gigi69 Apr 9th 2014 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by nige1521 (Post 11212013)
I have just read that article, but what it doesn't say is that Police Officers within the Edmonton Police Service have never been hired as a Temporary Foreign Worker.

I didn't say that, I posted it because I find it funny to find EPS competing for workers next to Tim Hortons and McDonalds . If there's anything wrong with the article I think you should get in touch with Globalnews.

Originally Posted by nige1521 (Post 11212013)
I'm not here to say, where is the best place to recruit from, I am simply saying we as a Police Service, as well as other Canadian Police Services need a structured plan to deal with a National decline in applicants.

There is no such thing as a "national decline in applicants", worst case scenario you could say there is an "Albertan/Edmontonian decline in applicants", and even then I would disagree. If there would be a "national decline in applicants" you would see SPVM and SQ recruiting in France, OPP, TPS and VPD recruiting in the UK/US/NZ/AU etc.
But as far as I remember only EPS and SCBCTAPS thought their standards are high enough that they needed to go to the UK ...

nige1521 Apr 9th 2014 8:43 pm

Hi,

I think the RAND Corporation who compiled a report on recruitment and retention for North American Police Agencies as well as a report compiled by the Canadian Police Sector Council would disagree with you.

I'm not making any of this up, these are actual reports compiled with research. To further back up those comments, we see it on a day to day basis.

I will say no more on the subject, like i said, I'm not here to say where is the best place to recruit from. I'm merely saying we need to "think outside the box".

Kind Regards

Nigel

gigi69 Apr 10th 2014 2:19 am

Originally Posted by nige1521 (Post 11212106)
Hi,
I think the RAND Corporation who compiled a report on recruitment and retention for North American Police Agencies as well as a report compiled by the Canadian Police Sector Council would disagree with you.

Is this the report you're referring to ? http://cops.usdoj.gov/Publications/1...tRetention.pdf
If this is the one, I only see Canada mentioned in the bibliography :) (I admit I didn't read all 90 pages, I only did a keyword search)
Plus, you can't compare policing in the US with policing in Canada. Their job is way more dangerous and they get paid less, of course they'll have retention and hiring problems ... policing in Edmonton is a walk in the park compared to LA, NY or Detroit.
Here you have some links
http://www.joinlapd.com/salary.html
http://www.nypdrecruit.com/benefits-salary/overview
compare to http://www.joineps.ca/WhyEPS/Salary.aspx
As for the Canadian Police Sector Council report, could you please provide a link to it ? I didn't know which one to pick from here http://www.policecouncil.ca/?page_id=2494

Originally Posted by nige1521 (Post 11212106)
To further back up those comments, we see it on a day to day basis.

I also have some first hand stories from people deferred for stuff like not declaring a purse at the border or smoking a joint with some friends at a party, even though their past was probably cleaner than some of your present colleagues ...
But in the end this discussion is moot, my opinions won't change a thing, and you have to defend the actions of your employer.
Best wishes !

christmasoompa Apr 11th 2014 9:37 am

Originally Posted by gigi69 (Post 11209211)
I just found this article. Like ann m said, looks like everything's a business these days. Well, at least EPS pays more than minimum wage, unlike McDonald’s and Tim Hortons :)

The Bank of Canada, the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, Tim Hortons, McDonald’s, Maple Leaf Foods, the City of Vancouver, the Edmonton Police Service and eateries of various vintages are among the thousands of employers who’ve been approved for accelerated labour market opinions: Their need for foreign workers, they said (and the federal government agreed), was so urgent they required an expedited approval process.
http://globalnews.ca/news/474208/who...-be-surprised/

That article's old and completely out of date - the A-LMO scheme was scrapped back in August 2013!

gigi69 Apr 11th 2014 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11214423)
That article's old and completely out of date - the A-LMO scheme was scrapped back in August 2013!

True, and it was due to the outcry of Canadians like me who don't think there's a real shortage of workers, only a shortage of companies willing to pay proper wages.
ps : August 2013 wasn't that far away, at least not by my standards

gigi69 Apr 15th 2014 2:23 am

Looks like that old and completely out of date article is not so old and completely out of date after all ...

McDonald's foreign worker practices face growing investigation
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...tion-1.2607365

Maybe McDonald's should go to the UK on a hiring spree :)

christmasoompa Apr 15th 2014 9:10 am

Originally Posted by gigi69 (Post 11219303)
Looks like that old and completely out of date article is not so old and completely out of date after all ...

McDonald's foreign worker practices face growing investigation
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...tion-1.2607365

Maybe McDonald's should go to the UK on a hiring spree :)

Well, it was out of date as it was about the A-LMO program, which is an immigration program that hasn't existed for quite a while now.

McDonalds has blanket LMO's in place, as do places like Tim Hortons etc, because they can't find enough Canadians to do minimum wage jobs with crappy shift patterns. It's been that way for a looooong time, but has nothing to do with the police.

I'm confused, but what is the purpose of you posting these articles? You're not a police officer, and it bears absolutely no relevance to this thread about police recruitment anyway, so what's the point? :confused:

stewie_griffin Apr 15th 2014 7:30 pm

Surely the EPS recruitment problems would be over instantly if they were able to recruit people on work visas or as temporary foreign workers?

They would also solve all their recruitment problems if they lowered the standards to allow, say 80% of all applicants to join and simultaneously doubled the starting salary.

But neither of these scenarios is realistic, which puts the police in Western Canada in a difficult position.

gigi69 Apr 24th 2014 4:08 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11219649)
You're not a police officer

What difference would it make if I'd be one ? Would my arguments be more valuable in your eyes ?
And how come you are so sure I'm not ?

christmasoompa Apr 24th 2014 6:34 am

Originally Posted by gigi69 (Post 11231847)
And how come you are so sure I'm not ?

Erm, let me think. Possibly because you've said so yourself?!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=48

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

gigi69 Apr 25th 2014 5:58 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11231925)
Erm, let me think. Possibly because you've said so yourself?!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=48
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Maybe I lied. Maybe not. Still, my question stands : the weight of my arguments depends on my profession ? If we go down this path you could say that since I'm not a British expat (I might lie about this also :)) I shouldn't even be on this forum in the first place. Maybe the owners should ask for some form of ID when people are registering ... :)

gigi69 Apr 25th 2014 6:08 am

Originally Posted by stewie_griffin (Post 11220602)
But neither of these scenarios is realistic, which puts the police in Western Canada in a difficult position.

My oh my, Western Canada is turning into South Sudan any day now. We're already worse than Detroit or Chicago. I'll personally write a letter to Harper and ask him to do something about it, maybe put in place a special fast tracking immigration process for UK police officers. Preferably white christian males, just like in the good ol' times.

Pollyana Apr 25th 2014 6:40 am

Originally Posted by gigi69 (Post 11233525)
Maybe I lied. Maybe not. Still, my question stands : the weight of my arguments depends on my profession ? If we go down this path you could say that since I'm not a British expat (I might lie about this also :)) I shouldn't even be on this forum in the first place. Maybe the owners should ask for some form of ID when people are registering ... :)

There is absolutely no requirement for someone to be a British Expat in order to post in here. If there was we would lose at least half of our members I reckon!

christmasoompa Apr 25th 2014 8:29 am

Originally Posted by gigi69 (Post 11233525)
Maybe the owners should ask for some form of ID when people are registering ... :)

We don't need to, we can see exactly where you're posting from and where you were born. ;):lol:

My point was that if you have nothing to do with the police force in Canada then your posting style is very antagonistic, seemingly just to provoke reactions, which really isn't on and is against Site Rule 4.

gigi69 Apr 25th 2014 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11233630)
My point was that if you have nothing to do with the police force in Canada then your posting style is very antagonistic, seemingly just to provoke reactions, which really isn't on and is against Site Rule 4.

I pay their salaries, hence I feel entitled to comment about their policies.
PS : one of my uncles was a police officer, does this count ? :)

geordiebloke Apr 27th 2014 7:31 am

Originally Posted by gigi69 (Post 11234324)
I pay their salaries, hence I feel entitled to comment about their policies.
PS : one of my uncles was a police officer, does this count ? :)

"I pay their salaries"...Good lord, not that old chestnut. :rofl:

Well actually, we all pay each others salaries don't we? If you're flipping burgers in Maccas and I come in for a Big Mac, I'm paying your wages aren't I........................doesn't make me an expert on how you do your job though!

ann m Apr 27th 2014 2:25 pm

Police officers pay their own salaries. :sneaky:

Pollyana Apr 27th 2014 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 11236328)
Police officers pay their own salaries. :sneaky:

A line I used frequently as a civilian worker in the UK Police.

gigi69 Apr 27th 2014 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by geordiebloke (Post 11235935)
Well actually, we all pay each others salaries don't we? If you're flipping burgers in Maccas and I come in for a Big Mac, I'm paying your wages aren't I........................doesn't make me an expert on how you do your job though!

So in your opinion a fast food joint is the same thing like a public institution ? Jesus ...
I never said that I am an expert in how the police should do their job. In the same time the police has to follow whatever the population they serve (yes, they are our servants, just like any other public official) tells them to, while respecting the laws of the country, of course. Their policies are made by us, the civilians who pay their salaries, not by themselves. If, for example, tomorrow the Edmonton chief decides that he will buy Mercedes-Benz cars instead of Fords without asking for approval from the mayor (who, may I remind you, is also a public servant and who has to answer to the citizens of Edmonton) first I bet he will have some explaining to do. Nobody tells the police how to catch a killer, but we have every right to ask why they spend OUR money on trips to UK, and guess what, they have to answer. Or maybe we should STFU, 'coz they know better ?

geordiebloke Apr 28th 2014 1:12 am

Originally Posted by gigi69 (Post 11236531)
So in your opinion a fast food joint is the same thing like a public institution ? Jesus ...
I never said that I am an expert in how the police should do their job. In the same time the police has to follow whatever the population they serve (yes, they are our servants, just like any other public official) tells them to, while respecting the laws of the country, of course. Their policies are made by us, the civilians who pay their salaries, not by themselves. If, for example, tomorrow the Edmonton chief decides that he will buy Mercedes-Benz cars instead of Fords without asking for approval from the mayor (who, may I remind you, is also a public servant and who has to answer to the citizens of Edmonton) first I bet he will have some explaining to do. Nobody tells the police how to catch a killer, but we have every right to ask why they spend OUR money on trips to UK, and guess what, they have to answer. Or maybe we should STFU, 'coz they know better ?

But you've been given the answer, the problem is you don't like it!

Of course, this is your prerogative as well.

And whilst you bring up the issue costs, you do realise one of the factors that bring about these recruitment drives, is that it saves the tax payer (you) money.......

gigi69 Apr 28th 2014 3:15 am

Originally Posted by geordiebloke (Post 11236925)
But you've been given the answer, the problem is you don't like it!

Of course I don't like it, because the answer is nothing else but bullshit. Like I said before, in Canada there was never a shortage of people wanting to become police officers. The fact that locally sometimes there might be a shortage is a different story. Damn, those oil fields must be paying good ... [end sarcasm]

Originally Posted by geordiebloke (Post 11236925)
And whilst you bring up the issue costs, you do realise one of the factors that bring about these recruitment drives, is that it saves the tax payer (you) money.......

Actually no, I don't understand how a UK recruitment drive is saving the tax payer (me) money. Those hired from the UK are being paid the same salary as someone hired from the local pool, they have to go through the same training etc.
Care to elaborate ?

nige1521 Apr 28th 2014 4:45 am

Gigi,

It is clear you have strong views on where EPS should be recruiting and your views are welcome.

So, I extend an invitation to you, why not come to see me in the office and we can explore your ideas. If you're not comfortable coming to the recruiting office, then I'm sure we can find a Tims.

You have my work email address from a previous post.

Nige

gigi69 Apr 29th 2014 4:23 am

Originally Posted by nige1521 (Post 11237055)
So, I extend an invitation to you, why not come to see me in the office and we can explore your ideas. If you're not comfortable coming to the recruiting office, then I'm sure we can find a Tims.

Thanks for the invitation, but I really don't see the outcome of this meeting, and right now I actually have nothing against your recruiting strategy. Keep up the good work !
ps : I see that you guys are going to Prince Edward Island in May, I hope it wasn't because of my rant here :)

stewie_griffin May 5th 2014 2:04 pm

Here's an interesting summary of the recruitment issue affecting western Canada:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/05/0...of-retirements

gigi69 May 6th 2014 5:23 am

Originally Posted by stewie_griffin (Post 11246652)
Here's an interesting summary of the recruitment issue affecting western Canada:
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/05/0...of-retirements

Lol, again ? Here's the shorter version of the article : "everybody and their mom goes to work in the oil fields, hence there's nobody left in Alberta to do any other type of work, from burger flippers to police officers". Really, is there anyone who thinks that someone who dreams to be a cop chooses instead to go freeze while digging trenches in Fort McMurray ? If so, I pity your intelligence, whatever little you have.
ps : I don't see anything about the other parts of "western Canada" where there are recruitment issues :)

stewie_griffin May 6th 2014 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by gigi69 (Post 11247729)
... I pity your intelligence, whatever little you have.

Bit harsh.

christmasoompa May 7th 2014 10:05 am

Originally Posted by stewie_griffin (Post 11248403)
Bit harsh.

And against Site Rule no. 1. Gigi69, resorting to personal abuse will just get you banned, so maybe try arguing your point without the digs at other members?

Philbo2005 May 7th 2014 11:04 am

How this guy hasn't been barred already and why they even post on here is beyond me. There was me thinking this site was based on gathering and sharing information that may be of use to others wanting to emigrate or something similar, not for getting political and expressing your views and disgust at immigrants doing one particular job?!

christmasoompa May 7th 2014 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Philbo2005 (Post 11249752)
How this guy hasn't been barred already and why they even post on here is beyond me. There was me thinking this site was based on gathering and sharing information that may be of use to others wanting to emigrate or something similar, not for getting political and expressing your views and disgust at immigrants doing one particular job?!

Getting political or expressing views isn't against Site Rules or something people would be banned for - if it was, then we'd hardly have anybody on the forum! :lol:

Philbo2005 May 7th 2014 11:13 am

Not when you are blatantly trying to cause a row and become abusive because you don't like how an answer has been given. Seems to be the general feel of all posts by this person in my opinion