Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Police officer transfer from uk to Canada

Police officer transfer from uk to Canada

Old Dec 26th 2014, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

notbrazil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police officer transfer from uk to Canada

Emailed South BC Transit Police (there were rumours that they might take on directly from the UK in 2013 and it came to nothing). Asked them if the new visa regulations might offer some hope for an international recruitment drive. They got back to me straight away saying that international recruitment is only possible once the applicant has achieved PR status and that they will not be sponsoring immigration applications.

Seems to be a non-starter for the time being.
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

gigi69 is an unknown quantity at this point

looks like I'm not the only one seeing things like they are ...
This is the best rated comment from this article Edmonton police shooting: Why U.K. officers come to Canada - World - CBC News
"It is interesting that there isn't any outrage at the fact that Canada is recruiting abroad for police officers when locals (especially young people) are struggling to find a decent full-time job. "
This is the 3rd best rated
"But I can't help but wonder, (when we poach from other countries for their trained and skilled people like this) why it isn't possible to train Canadian born people to do this work? Why can't we have enough doctors, nurses, police officers etc trained here? Why do our young people have to drift downward into low end jobs? Why can't our system look to motivating our own people to be success stories and not jobless statistics?"
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 8:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gigi69
looks like I'm not the only one seeing things like they are ...
This is the best rated comment from this article Edmonton police shooting: Why U.K. officers come to Canada - World - CBC News
"It is interesting that there isn't any outrage at the fact that Canada is recruiting abroad for police officers when locals (especially young people) are struggling to find a decent full-time job. "
This is the 3rd best rated
"But I can't help but wonder, (when we poach from other countries for their trained and skilled people like this) why it isn't possible to train Canadian born people to do this work? Why can't we have enough doctors, nurses, police officers etc trained here? Why do our young people have to drift downward into low end jobs? Why can't our system look to motivating our own people to be success stories and not jobless statistics?"
I didn't think Canada was recruiting abroad for police officers? Have they started again?
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future

As far as I'm aware, no Canadian Police Service is recruiting internationally.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nige1521
As far as I'm aware, no Canadian Police Service is recruiting internationally.
Well, maybe EPS should (again), since they're struggling so much ...
/sarcasm
It's so funny to see Chief Rod Knecht still playing the "oil industry is stealing all the good people" 9 months after the oil price crash and all the layoffs. Also, as a personal anecdote, I've never met a truck driver making $160.000/year, but hey, he's the Chief, so he must be telling the truth, eh.
Edmonton police scrambling for recruits in competitive market - Edmonton - CBC News
ps : ignore all the mean comments at the bottom
Old Nov 29th 2015, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

stewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant future

[... I've never met a truck driver making $160.000/year, but hey, he's the Chief, so he must be telling the truth, eh.[/QUOTE]

Turns out he probably was telling the truth:
"When you include overtime, truck drivers in the province are earning up to $170,000..."

How to earn $170,000 a year driving a truck (Warning: it’s messy) - Quartz
Old Nov 30th 2015, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stewie_griffin
Turns out he probably was telling the truth:
Dude, when's the last time you read the news ? Chief Knecht said this on May 25, 2015, when the price of oil was $60. Your article is from 2012, when it was $100. Also, just FYI, now it's $40 ... I'd really like to know how many truckers are still making that kind of money in Alberta. Would you like to enlighten me/us ?
Old Nov 30th 2015, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

stewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant future

I know what the price of oil is.

There are still truck drivers in Alberta making exactly what the chief says.

Dude.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stewie_griffin
There are still truck drivers in Alberta making exactly what the chief says.
Of course there are. Even if there's only one, you and the Chief are right, right ?
Old Dec 1st 2015, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gigi69
Of course there are. Even if there's only one, you and the Chief are right, right ?
There's more than one.

Yes, we are right.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

robinswh is an unknown quantity at this point

I often hear the word "transferred" when british police talk of moving to Canada. To be correct you resign from your Uk force and join a Canadian one when you get here . I joined the Calgary City police in 1977 after service in Bermuda I had to start again and was quite shocked how little UK service counted in their eyes. There was one ex Glasgow officer and three others with Canadian experience RCMP and Toronto met in my recruit class. The ex Canadian officers were bumped up pay wise after a couple of years myself and my Scottish mate weren't.

Last edited by robinswh; Jan 14th 2016 at 4:52 pm.