Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Police officer transfer from uk to Canada

Police officer transfer from uk to Canada

Old Apr 2nd 2014, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

gigi69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police officer transfer from uk to Canada

Originally Posted by ann m
Every industry pulls in people from all over the world to suit their needs - it's just business
It's sad if policing has become a business, that's all I have to say.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gigi69
It's sad if policing has become a business, that's all I have to say.
You're naive if you think it isn't a business these days.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ann m
You're naive if you think it isn't a business these days.
I totally agree with you. Probably one of the reasons why I'll never become a police officer.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

I just found this article. Like ann m said, looks like everything's a business these days. Well, at least EPS pays more than minimum wage, unlike McDonald’s and Tim Hortons

The Bank of Canada, the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, Tim Hortons, McDonald’s, Maple Leaf Foods, the City of Vancouver, the Edmonton Police Service and eateries of various vintages are among the thousands of employers who’ve been approved for accelerated labour market opinions: Their need for foreign workers, they said (and the federal government agreed), was so urgent they required an expedited approval process.
http://globalnews.ca/news/474208/who...-be-surprised/
Old Apr 9th 2014, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future

Hi Gigi,

I have just read that article, but what it doesn't say is that Police Officers within the Edmonton Police Service have never been hired as a Temporary Foreign Worker. The rules regarding the hiring of Police officers are mandated and can only be either Permanent Residents or Canadian Citizens.

In relation to a previous post on this thread, Policing in the US is a completely different ballgame to Policing in Canada, in respect of legislation and policy. In defence of the UK system, Policing in respect of legislation and policy is comparable, with a lot of Canadian Law being based on UK Common Law.

I'm not here to say, where is the best place to recruit from, I am simply saying we as a Police Service, as well as other Canadian Police Services need a structured plan to deal with a National decline in applicants.

Nigel
Old Apr 9th 2014, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nige1521
I have just read that article, but what it doesn't say is that Police Officers within the Edmonton Police Service have never been hired as a Temporary Foreign Worker.
I didn't say that, I posted it because I find it funny to find EPS competing for workers next to Tim Hortons and McDonalds . If there's anything wrong with the article I think you should get in touch with Globalnews.
I'm not here to say, where is the best place to recruit from, I am simply saying we as a Police Service, as well as other Canadian Police Services need a structured plan to deal with a National decline in applicants.
There is no such thing as a "national decline in applicants", worst case scenario you could say there is an "Albertan/Edmontonian decline in applicants", and even then I would disagree. If there would be a "national decline in applicants" you would see SPVM and SQ recruiting in France, OPP, TPS and VPD recruiting in the UK/US/NZ/AU etc.
But as far as I remember only EPS and SCBCTAPS thought their standards are high enough that they needed to go to the UK ...

Last edited by gigi69; Apr 9th 2014 at 8:26 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future

Hi,

I think the RAND Corporation who compiled a report on recruitment and retention for North American Police Agencies as well as a report compiled by the Canadian Police Sector Council would disagree with you.

I'm not making any of this up, these are actual reports compiled with research. To further back up those comments, we see it on a day to day basis.

I will say no more on the subject, like i said, I'm not here to say where is the best place to recruit from. I'm merely saying we need to "think outside the box".

Kind Regards

Nigel
Old Apr 10th 2014, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Hi,
I think the RAND Corporation who compiled a report on recruitment and retention for North American Police Agencies as well as a report compiled by the Canadian Police Sector Council would disagree with you.
Is this the report you're referring to ? http://cops.usdoj.gov/Publications/1...tRetention.pdf
If this is the one, I only see Canada mentioned in the bibliography (I admit I didn't read all 90 pages, I only did a keyword search)
Plus, you can't compare policing in the US with policing in Canada. Their job is way more dangerous and they get paid less, of course they'll have retention and hiring problems ... policing in Edmonton is a walk in the park compared to LA, NY or Detroit.
Here you have some links
http://www.joinlapd.com/salary.html
http://www.nypdrecruit.com/benefits-salary/overview
compare to http://www.joineps.ca/WhyEPS/Salary.aspx
As for the Canadian Police Sector Council report, could you please provide a link to it ? I didn't know which one to pick from here http://www.policecouncil.ca/?page_id=2494
To further back up those comments, we see it on a day to day basis.
I also have some first hand stories from people deferred for stuff like not declaring a purse at the border or smoking a joint with some friends at a party, even though their past was probably cleaner than some of your present colleagues ...
But in the end this discussion is moot, my opinions won't change a thing, and you have to defend the actions of your employer.
Best wishes !
Old Apr 11th 2014, 9:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I just found this article. Like ann m said, looks like everything's a business these days. Well, at least EPS pays more than minimum wage, unlike McDonald’s and Tim Hortons

The Bank of Canada, the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, Tim Hortons, McDonald’s, Maple Leaf Foods, the City of Vancouver, the Edmonton Police Service and eateries of various vintages are among the thousands of employers who’ve been approved for accelerated labour market opinions: Their need for foreign workers, they said (and the federal government agreed), was so urgent they required an expedited approval process.
http://globalnews.ca/news/474208/who...-be-surprised/
That article's old and completely out of date - the A-LMO scheme was scrapped back in August 2013!
Old Apr 11th 2014, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That article's old and completely out of date - the A-LMO scheme was scrapped back in August 2013!
True, and it was due to the outcry of Canadians like me who don't think there's a real shortage of workers, only a shortage of companies willing to pay proper wages.
ps : August 2013 wasn't that far away, at least not by my standards
Old Apr 15th 2014, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

Looks like that old and completely out of date article is not so old and completely out of date after all ...

McDonald's foreign worker practices face growing investigation
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...tion-1.2607365

Maybe McDonald's should go to the UK on a hiring spree
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like that old and completely out of date article is not so old and completely out of date after all ...

McDonald's foreign worker practices face growing investigation
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...tion-1.2607365

Maybe McDonald's should go to the UK on a hiring spree
Well, it was out of date as it was about the A-LMO program, which is an immigration program that hasn't existed for quite a while now.

McDonalds has blanket LMO's in place, as do places like Tim Hortons etc, because they can't find enough Canadians to do minimum wage jobs with crappy shift patterns. It's been that way for a looooong time, but has nothing to do with the police.

I'm confused, but what is the purpose of you posting these articles? You're not a police officer, and it bears absolutely no relevance to this thread about police recruitment anyway, so what's the point?
Old Apr 15th 2014, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

stewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant future

Surely the EPS recruitment problems would be over instantly if they were able to recruit people on work visas or as temporary foreign workers?

They would also solve all their recruitment problems if they lowered the standards to allow, say 80% of all applicants to join and simultaneously doubled the starting salary.

But neither of these scenarios is realistic, which puts the police in Western Canada in a difficult position.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You're not a police officer
What difference would it make if I'd be one ? Would my arguments be more valuable in your eyes ?
And how come you are so sure I'm not ?
Old Apr 24th 2014, 6:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

And how come you are so sure I'm not ?
Erm, let me think. Possibly because you've said so yourself?!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=48

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.