Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Police officer transfer from uk to Canada

Police officer transfer from uk to Canada

Old Mar 30th 2014, 1:16 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police officer transfer from uk to Canada

Originally Posted by gigi69
I was bored today so I looked into the MET recruitment process. I found something very interesting

from here http://www.ncalt.com/pre-join-mps/index.html
Nationality
Are you a British citizen, a citizen of a country that is a member of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland?

Residency
The MPS must vet all applicants in an equitable manner. We do not currently have the means of facilitating vetting enquiries overseas to the extent required for those who have been resident in the UK. That’s why this is part of our eligibility criteria.
Will you have resided continuously in the UK for the three year period immediately prior to your application to join the MPS (with any absence from the UK being no more than six months during this time)?

If Canada would use the same standards then Nige wouldn't be a policeman in Edmonton today, yet some users (like MetPolice2014) bicker that they can't just hop on a plane and land a job in Canada, including previous service recognition and such.
ps : and let's not forget about all the labour restrictions the UK has imposed on the new EU contries since 2004 ...
I had a quick look at the link you posted - which is for new police officers, and looking at transferring as an experienced officer I cannot see the condition - http://www.metpolicecareers.co.uk/of...nsferring.html

Each force sets their own criteria I guess, and other countries recruit internationally, not just Canada (although as has been said, Edmonton police are not looking to recruit internationally at this time). I would also assume that since international recruitment is not a cheap or quick option, if sufficient suitable applications were received from the local population it would not be an option at all.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

gigi69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I had a quick look at the link you posted - which is for new police officers, and looking at transferring as an experienced officer I cannot see the condition - http://www.metpolicecareers.co.uk/of...nsferring.html
I have a feeling that those conditions are for someone coming from another UK police force to the MET, not from abroad. Feel free to prove me wrong.
Each force sets their own criteria I guess, and other countries recruit internationally, not just Canada.
Yeah, Canada and Australia ... I still can't find any ads from US or Germany
Old Mar 30th 2014, 2:19 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I have a feeling that those conditions are for someone coming from another UK police force to the MET, not from abroad. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Yeah, Canada and Australia ... I still can't find any ads from US or Germany
I'm sorry - I can't help you more. I know that other police forces have officers from EU countries. I have also met a French gendarme who was British but no idea of how they joined. I do now that RCIPS is recruiting internationally again - I've seen the thread in this forum. Any force must have a minimum manning requirement and if it cannot be met locally then they will look to recruit elsewhere - same as all occupations.

Edit - sorry, to add - although WAPOL are currently recruiting, and other Australian forces have done so in the past, the AFP (Australian Federal Police) have a requirement that you must be an Australian Citizen to serve with them

Last edited by old.sparkles; Mar 30th 2014 at 2:21 am.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 12:25 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry - I can't help you more. I know that other police forces have officers from EU countries. I have also met a French gendarme who was British but no idea of how they joined. I do now that RCIPS is recruiting internationally again - I've seen the thread in this forum. Any force must have a minimum manning requirement and if it cannot be met locally then they will look to recruit elsewhere - same as all occupations.

Edit - sorry, to add - although WAPOL are currently recruiting, and other Australian forces have done so in the past, the AFP (Australian Federal Police) have a requirement that you must be an Australian Citizen to serve with them
I would not feed the troll further, clearly anti-police and has popped up on a police thread for no other reason than to stir the pot.

The reasons for recruitment outside the city, then province, then internationally are blindingly obvious to anyone with a notion of common sense, socio-political awareness and how younger people now see policing, against those of us who joined many years ago. The alternative to this is do what has happened elsewhere, lower standards significantly to the point where you appeal to a wider pool of applicants, thus avoiding the need to recruit anywhere other than locally and one of the reasons other countries are not using this method of recruitment.

This policy of international recruitment should be applauded not derided, it brings diversity to the job and allows us to become even more representative of the community we serve, which has a large proportion of immigrants funnily enough.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 12:31 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe, but this is not a reason to go look abroad, be it in the UK or in any other country. I've never heard about German, Spanish, French or US police advertising recruitment in foreign countries because they "find it difficult to find good quality applicants" in their own. It's like saying Canadians are mostly a bunch of criminals, that's how I read it.
It's true that in Alberta people are choosing the better paid jobs in the oil fields, but this is not the case in other provinces like Ontario or the Maritimes, plenty of unemployment there, maybe you should look harder there instead of wasting taxpayers' money on trips to the UK. And I'm not the only one who's thinking like this, just read the comments from this article
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Tra...929/story.html
It is a shame you did not print this bit from your own link....

"All Canadian police departments struggle to find qualified recruits, Drennan added. She said she didn’t know the force’s retention rate for officers, but denied it was a “revolving door.”

“We require our applicants to be held to a very high standard,” Drennan said. “The pool of applicants in Canada is finite and all municipal police departments and the RCMP are attempting to hire from that same pool.

“So that obviously makes it much more difficult to find good applicants.”
Old Mar 30th 2014, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rae
I would not feed the troll further, clearly anti-police and has popped up on a police thread for no other reason than to stir the pot.
Lol, you have no idea how far from reality you are. I have the utmost respect for LEOs. Same goes for EMTs and firefighters. Please show me a single anti-police word I've said.
Just to be clear, my rant was triggered by someone (MetPolice2014) who thinks he/she is entitled to jump in front of the immigration line just because he/she is British and works for MET.
Rae, I am under the impression that you are a police officer. I don't have time to read all your 3,226 posts, but if this is true maybe you should work on your comprehension, I've heard it's a skill you really need on this job.

Originally Posted by rae
The alternative to this is do what has happened elsewhere, lower standards significantly to the point where you appeal to a wider pool of applicants, thus avoiding the need to recruit anywhere other than locally and one of the reasons other countries are not using this method of recruitment.
This is another slap in the face of all the other fine police forces in the world, and in the face of Canadians. Oh, look at us, we are the best police force in the world and we have the highest standards ... Unfortunately our society can't provide us with good quality applicants, hence we have to go recruit in the only other country in the world that has the same high standards like us, the almighty UK. Gimme a break, will you ?

Originally Posted by rae
This policy of international recruitment should be applauded not derided, it brings diversity to the job and allows us to become even more representative of the community we serve, which has a large proportion of immigrants funnily enough.
Lol again. You know what would bring diversity to the job ? Having recruitment drives in China, in Philippines, in India, in Pakistan. All these countries send more immigrants to Canada than UK. Way more. I haven't heard yet about something like this. I'm pretty sure that among the 33,018 immigrants that came here from China, the 32,747 from Philippines and the 28,943 from India in 2012 there would be 2 or 3 who would be "good quality applicants to meet our goals", as Nige said. Unless they're all illiterate, fat, dumb criminals ...

Last edited by gigi69; Mar 30th 2014 at 7:49 pm. Reason: some minor spelling mistakes :)
Old Mar 30th 2014, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rae
It is a shame you did not print this bit from your own link....
Lol. What else did you expect her to say ?
Old Mar 30th 2014, 7:43 pm
rae
Settled.

Lol, you have no idea how far from reality you are. I have the utmost respect for LEOs. Same goes for EMTs and firefighters. Please show me a single anti-police word I've said.
Just to be clear, my rant was triggered by someone (MetPolice2014) who thinks he/she is entitled to jump in front of the immigration line just because he/she is British and works for MET.
Rae, I am under the impression that you are a police officer. I don't have time to read all your 3,226 posts, but if this is true maybe you should work on your comprehension, I've heard they're a skill you really need on this job.

This is another slap in the face of all the other fine police forces in the world, and in the face of Canadians. Oh, look at us, we are the best police force in the world and we have the highest standards ... Unfortunately our society can't provide us with good quality applicants, hence we have to go recruit in the only other country in the world that has the same high standards like us, the almighty UK. Gimme a break, will you ?

Lol again. You know what would bring diversity to the job ? Having recruitment drives in China, in Philippines, in India, in Pakistan. All these countries send more immigrants to Canada than UK. Way more. I haven't heard yet about something like this. I'm pretty sure that among the 33,018 immigrants that came here from China, the 32,747 from Philippines and the 28,943 from India in 2012 there would be 2 or 3 who would be "good quality applicants to meet our goals", as Nige said. Unless they're all illiterate, fat, dumb criminals ...
Like I say, troll, not engaging anymore so feel free to go away.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

stewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant futurestewie_griffin has a brilliant future

Lol again. You know what would bring diversity to the job ? Having recruitment drives in China, in Philippines, in India, in Pakistan.
They're next.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

You know what would bring diversity to the job ? Having recruitment drives in China, in Philippines, in India, in Pakistan. All these countries send more immigrants to Canada than UK. Way more. I haven't heard yet about something like this. I'm pretty sure that among the 33,018 immigrants that came here from China, the 32,747 from Philippines and the 28,943 from India in 2012 there would be 2 or 3 who would be "good quality applicants to meet our goals".
Calgary Police tried China I think, but did not have much success.

It's not just a case of trying the popular immigrant countries - it's surely a case of trying to find recruits to match policing styles and with a similar (policing) culture? Most of ex UK guys that came out on the previous wave of recruitment around 2007/2008 were bums on seats that could hit the ground running, so to speak. And even then it wasn't completely smooth sailing. But culturally, it was a quick fix for the Canadian services.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ann m
It's not just a case of trying the popular immigrant countries - it's surely a case of trying to find recruits to match policing styles and with a similar (policing) culture?
Imho the closest similar (policing) culture would be the one in the US, not the one in the UK. No recruitment drives there, as far as I remember ... probably because of the slim chances to find potential good quality applicants to meet our goals among the 34,500 officers of NYPD, right ?
Originally Posted by ann m
Most of ex UK guys that came out on the previous wave of recruitment around 2007/2008 were bums on seats that could hit the ground running, so to speak.
Well, then let's cancel all local recruitment and let's go to the UK for all our needs, since their guys can hit our ground running, so to speak. Why waste time and money just for 1 or 2 ? They're already trained, they speak the language etc., let's get them all
Geez, I wonder why nobody thought about this yet ...

Last edited by gigi69; Mar 31st 2014 at 6:36 am.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae

The reasons for recruitment outside the city, then province, then internationally are blindingly obvious to anyone with a notion of common sense, socio-political awareness and how younger people now see policing, against those of us who joined many years ago. The alternative to this is do what has happened elsewhere, lower standards significantly to the point where you appeal to a wider pool of applicants, thus avoiding the need to recruit anywhere other than locally and one of the reasons other countries are not using this method of recruitment.

She is probably one of the locals who has failed to meet the required standards, so is feeling understandably raw........don't be too harsh
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
She is probably one of the locals who has failed to meet the required standards, so is feeling understandably raw........don't be too harsh
Elementary, my dear Watson.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Elementary, my dear Watson.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Well, then let's cancel all local recruitment and let's go to the UK for all our needs, since their guys can hit our ground running, so to speak. Why waste time and money just for 1 or 2 ? They're already trained, they speak the language etc., let's get them all
Geez, I wonder why nobody thought about this yet ...
I'm still not clear on your objection to the Canadian services (well, Alberta really) looking outside Canada, when they needed to...they got what they needed, when they needed it. They bolstered their numbers for a while and they haven't really looked elsewhere since 2007.

If they feel they need to recruit outside Canada again, maybe they will and maybe they will pick a different country to target, and maybe they will look to the UK again...

Every industry pulls in people from all over the world to suit their needs - it's just business, and there are millions of people willing to relocate all over the world for the work.

I don't think any of us disagree with your lack of enthusiasm over the "entitled" comments of one poster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.