Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Please help. CANADA POLICE

Please help. CANADA POLICE

Old Nov 3rd 2018, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Policeman123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please help. CANADA POLICE

Hello all,

There has been a few posts about this but nothing recent.
Currently serving in the UK as a police officer.

I am elegible for express entry for PR for Canada.
Do any forces help sponsor at all if not, what forces are happy to recruit brits??
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 5:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help. CANADA POLICE

Originally Posted by Policeman123
Hello all,

There has been a few posts about this but nothing recent.
Currently serving in the UK as a police officer.

I am elegible for express entry for PR for Canada.
Do any forces help sponsor at all if not, what forces are happy to recruit brits??
If you’re eligible for PR via EE then you don’t need sponsorship. What is your CRS score?

Once you’ve got PR then you can work for any police force I believe.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Policeman123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again.

Sorry what I meant was, is there a particular department or province I'm more likely to get in?
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 8:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Policeman123
Hello again.

Sorry what I meant was, is there a particular department or province I'm more likely to get in?
So you just mean which forces have the most vacancies and where are you most likely to get a job?

Hopefully some of our lovely police officers working there will be able to help you out with answers to that, but do bear in mind that in a year or so when you have PR (or longer spending on your score), the answers may be very different.

Best of luck.
Old Nov 9th 2018, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Nairobi Jack is an unknown quantity at this point

Canadian police forces are only looking to recruit Canadians. You need to put your feet down there get to know the culture the landscape and settle in put down roots before even thinking of applying.

That's three years minimum.
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 2:58 am
Just Joined

LouLou916 is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to be a Canadian resident. I arrived in the July, got my driving licence whilst applying to police services and had my immigration paper work in by January. Started policing in April.....so it only took 9 months. Police services will not sponsor you. Most services are hurting for good candidates. Decide which province you want to live in, then if you want to work for the Provincial police or a Regional service. If you apply for the RCMP or Provincial you may have to be prepared to be moved around, so consider family implications. I found one service that would give you credit for your UK police service in terms of holiday time and that is Peel in Ontario. I found out too late and had already joined another regional service, but no regrets.
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 4:11 am
Just Joined

pcsparky is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Please help. CANADA POLICE

Originally Posted by LouLou916
You need to be a Canadian resident. I arrived in the July, got my driving licence whilst applying to police services and had my immigration paper work in by January. Started policing in April.....so it only took 9 months. Police services will not sponsor you. Most services are hurting for good candidates. Decide which province you want to live in, then if you want to work for the Provincial police or a Regional service. If you apply for the RCMP or Provincial you may have to be prepared to be moved around, so consider family implications. I found one service that would give you credit for your UK police service in terms of holiday time and that is Peel in Ontario. I found out too late and had already joined another regional service, but no regrets.
Hi, if you don't mind me asking, how did you end up getting your residence sponsored without working in the police? Did you have another trade/skill or did you use a particular immigration route? I love the idea of living and working in Canada but I don't have any other trades/skills (except an LGV licence which I assume would not transfer across).
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 1:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by pcsparky
Hi, if you don't mind me asking, how did you end up getting your residence sponsored without working in the police? Did you have another trade/skill or did you use a particular immigration route? I love the idea of living and working in Canada but I don't have any other trades/skills (except an LGV licence which I assume would not transfer across).
Permanent Residency doesn't have to be sponsored. If you qualify without a job offer you just apply yourself and it takes approx 6 months to get it, you then move to Canada as as PR and can work in pretty much any job.

HTH.