Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Which Ontario Police force? Advice please.

Which Ontario Police force? Advice please.

Old Sep 26th 2009, 12:03 am
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of
Default Which Ontario Police force? Advice please.

Hi all.
Am just looking for some advice and opinion.
Have been planning to emigrate for sometime now and am clued up with the recruitment /application process.
I would like to pick your brains as to what force to apply for.
5 years ago I was successful with OPP but couldn't take up the position (Long long story!!!) and it has always been my ambition to work for them.
However, the O/H has just been offered a job in GTA and we could be gone within 6 months. I would stilll like to work for OPP, but their posting policy might not suit. There are many other Services in the GTA. Should I look at TPS or one of the smaller town/county/regional forces in the locality?
I now it will probably come down to what I want at this stage (16 years in, 39yrs old) the bustle of a metropolitan force versus the 'Q' of a smaller rural service.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Regards, Pincher.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

ExMetCop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which Ontario Police force? Advice please.

Originally Posted by Pincher
Hi all.
Am just looking for some advice and opinion.
Have been planning to emigrate for sometime now and am clued up with the recruitment /application process.
I would like to pick your brains as to what force to apply for.
5 years ago I was successful with OPP but couldn't take up the position (Long long story!!!) and it has always been my ambition to work for them.
However, the O/H has just been offered a job in GTA and we could be gone within 6 months. I would stilll like to work for OPP, but their posting policy might not suit. There are many other Services in the GTA. Should I look at TPS or one of the smaller town/county/regional forces in the locality?
I now it will probably come down to what I want at this stage (16 years in, 39yrs old) the bustle of a metropolitan force versus the 'Q' of a smaller rural service.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Regards, Pincher.
Pincher.

You pretty much answered your own question mate. What do you want? If you want Metropolitan hard work every day then TPS is the way. Peele is another busy one thats next door to Toronto but has such awful policy that my service has had 35 of their officers in the last year transfer over.

There are many other surrounding agencies all of which have their own characteristics. I am in Halton Regional Police which is 45 minutes away from Toronto and classed as the safest area in Ontario so you can imagine what our crime rate is like. We have 550 officers and LOVE hiring Brits. OPP will unlikely guarantee you a job near Toronto and even if they do, your posting could change to butt fck no where at any time during training.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 5:07 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Ontario Police force? Advice please.

Originally Posted by ExMetCop
Pincher.

You pretty much answered your own question mate. What do you want? If you want Metropolitan hard work every day then TPS is the way. Peele is another busy one thats next door to Toronto but has such awful policy that my service has had 35 of their officers in the last year transfer over.

There are many other surrounding agencies all of which have their own characteristics. I am in Halton Regional Police which is 45 minutes away from Toronto and classed as the safest area in Ontario so you can imagine what our crime rate is like. We have 550 officers and LOVE hiring Brits. OPP will unlikely guarantee you a job near Toronto and even if they do, your posting could change to butt fck no where at any time during training.
Glad to hear Halton is the safest area in Ontario