Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

NZ police UK officers joining then coming back

NZ police UK officers joining then coming back

Old Feb 11th 2009, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

boshwaggle will become famous soon enough
Default NZ police UK officers joining then coming back

Hi can anyone enlighten me, I am purely curious, but at my station one guy got into NZ police moved out there having resigned (he went out before his notice period was up as he was using up AL and CTO) then within 4 days of landing came straight back, retracted his resignation with hours to spare, and rejoined here. (luckily they allowed him to retract).

He said apparently he didn't like NZ cos of high cost living and just place itself.

I have heard of other UK officers doing same from my force and others.

I always thought NZ was a nice twee place like UK in 1950s, but from all accounts it is not all it is cracked up to be.

Certainly a good idea: check place out thoroughly before moving there.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:06 pm
i want to go to canada

preludefan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ police UK officers joining then coming back

Originally Posted by guyfawkes
Hi can anyone enlighten me, I am purely curious, but at my station one guy got into NZ police moved out there having resigned (he went out before his notice period was up as he was using up AL and CTO) then within 4 days of landing came straight back, retracted his resignation with hours to spare, and rejoined here. (luckily they allowed him to retract).

He said apparently he didn't like NZ cos of high cost living and just place itself.

I have heard of other UK officers doing same from my force and others.

I always thought NZ was a nice twee place like UK in 1950s, but from all accounts it is not all it is cracked up to be.

Certainly a good idea: check place out thoroughly before moving there.
did he go to auckland or did he go to new zealand?
what i mean by this is auckland is nightmarish cost and lifestyle wise, where as the rest of nz is very nice in its own way, expecially wellington and the south island, iauckland is becoming a mini london in the way of costs, crime rate...etc

if you want to come here do so by all means just dont stay in auckland and think youve seen the whole place,as this is what most forieners seem to do.

hope this helps
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like he didn't visit first? Mad, I tell you, mad!
Old Apr 26th 2009, 11:30 pm
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all

He only gave it FOUR days! Crazy.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 8:50 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I can tell the pay in NZ police is not great.......
Old Jun 6th 2009, 10:50 pm
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all

You have to wonder, anyone that gives somewhere four days and then knocks it on the head is probably not suitable for migration.

Remember, its one thing being good at the job, but being able to move to the other side of the world, adapt to a new lifestyle, new laws and procedures, different culture, far away from your familly and friends is another thing alltogethor.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Steve K is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the wasted post. Just posting so i can Pm. Thanks.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Steve K is on a distinguished road

And again. Apologies.