British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Police (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/)
-   -   NZ Corrections clarification (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/nz-corrections-clarification-925571/)

Nairobi Jack Jun 7th 2019 3:12 pm

NZ Corrections clarification

Right off the bat I'll clarify things.

https://www.corrections.govt.nz/care..._officer2.html

You need get a 24 month work visa, not PR not citizenship to be eligible.

If you have enough experience education and meet the other requirements then there's no reason NZ immigration won't issue a 24 month working visa to come work NZ corrections.

You can't join the NZ police unless you've got PR.

You can't join the Australian police unless you've got PR.

You can only join the Canadian police unless you have PR AND YOU'VE LIVED IN CANADA A MINIMUM OF 3 YEARS.

that has just come in.

US police you have to already be a legal PR too.

So the above is an outstanding oppo for any hardworking righteous people looking to make a fresh start.

I'm not being cynical I'm not being smug I'm presenting facts as they stand.

Wonga

jim2001 Jun 7th 2019 9:02 pm

Re: NZ Corrections clarification

Only some Canadian forces require 3 year in country before applying.

Any police officer can apply for express entry PR if they have enough points though education or work experience.

BEVS Jun 7th 2019 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Nairobi Jack (Post 12694846)
Right off the bat I'll clarify things.

https://www.corrections.govt.nz/care..._officer2.html

You need get a 24 month work visa, not PR not citizenship to be eligible.

You need to change this bit. A person from overseas can apply for a position. If they succeed and gain a job offer then they apply for the work visa.
It is always job offer first and then apply work visa.

If you have enough experience education and meet the other requirements then there's no reason NZ immigration won't issue a 24 month working visa to come work NZ corrections.
This bit is fine.

BertW Jul 21st 2019 2:47 pm

Would be interested in finding out a little bit more about this Nairobi Jack but don't seem to have the required posts to contact you.

BEVS Jul 21st 2019 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by BertW (Post 12713141)
Would be interested in finding out a little bit more about this Nairobi Jack but don't seem to have the required posts to contact you.

Nairobi Jack is not in New Zealand but I am.

Please come to the New Zealand forum to ask about this. <---- click the link

We do have one or two correction officers that I can ping who may be able to guide you in this.

Nairobi Jack Jul 21st 2019 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12713262)
Nairobi Jack is not in New Zealand but I am.

Please come to the New Zealand forum to ask about this. <---- click the link

We do have one or two correction officers that I can ping who may be able to guide you in this.

Glad finally someone is benefiting from my post!

She's right I'm not in NZ so I hope that her links can help!

jarv5116 Aug 24th 2019 7:39 am

I can clarify as best I can about NZ corrections.
My misses works for correction as prison guard.

We moved to NZ on my work visa. which was a work to residence for me and open work visa for my wife. We both had visas for 30 months on arrival.

My wife applied for the job in the UK as we already had our visas in place.
Then we moved she done her interviews and tests and started the job a month later.

They won't look at or accept your application unless you have a 24 month visa before you apply. There lots of my wifes friends at work are all the same. They come over on there partners visa and applied for the job when already in country.

They were accepting applications from overseas a few years ago but it was for experienced corrections officers. Again my wife works with a few of them that moved doing that route.

jarv5116 Aug 24th 2019 7:42 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12695026)
You need to change this bit. A person from overseas can apply for a position. If they succeed and gain a job offer then they apply for the work visa.
It is always job offer first and then apply work visa.

This bit is fine.

You can't apply at all.
Well you can apply but you won't get a job offer unless you have a minimuim 24 months visa before you apply.

BEVS Aug 24th 2019 9:16 am

Originally Posted by jarv5116 (Post 12726798)
You can't apply at all.
Well you can apply but you won't get a job offer unless you have a minimum 24 months visa before you apply.

Can you expand and clarify on this please.

You cannot have a 24 month visa without a job offer for somewhere somehow with an NZ employer

Are you saying that only those that are partners of those with a work visa in place for a job offer and so gained an open work visa under the family category can apply for Corrections?

With or without experience? The key for me here being with or without experience , especially without & that those persons were not NZ resident visa wise at the time. Their partners being employed in other occupations.

Thank you.

jarv5116 Aug 24th 2019 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12726806)
Can you expand and clarify on this please.

You cannot have a 24 month visa without a job offer for somewhere somehow with an NZ employer

Are you saying that only those that are partners of those with a work visa in place for a job offer and so gained an open work visa under the family category can apply for Corrections?

With or without experience? The key for me here being with or without experience , especially without & that those persons were not NZ resident visa wise at the time. Their partners being employed in other occupations.

Thank you.

No I'm not saying you have to be on a partner visa.
You need a open work visa for at least 24 months before applying or your application won't go past the intial vetting stage as it doesn't meet the entry requirements of having a minimuim of 24 months visa before applying.
You won't get offered any type of employment unless the visa requirements are meet before hand.

That's why I'm saying most of my wifes friends are on WTR partner visa which are 30 months open visas. A very high % of staff are not NZ citizens and are foreigners but all have visas in place before hand.

Another big stumbling block is. The job does not meet the minimum wage requirements to be offered a work to residence visa as its below the 55k initial starting salary when going through the 3 months training package.

With or without experience.
They had a big recruitment drive a few years ago maybe 2016 and went over to the UK to recruit.
Went round the UK prisons done interview and brought some boys n girls over on work to residence visa. At the moment they aren't doing it. Things might change in the near future as they are really short on officers at minute and can't seem to get officers recruited and stick the job out.