Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

New Zealand Police - International Recruitment

New Zealand Police - International Recruitment

Old Oct 22nd 2005, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

dot405 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Zealand Police - International Recruitment

Originally Posted by Hagey
The pension will be frozen until you are sixty unless you want to contact a select number of companies who can transfer it to a private pension scheme in NZ for you. One thing to bear in mind though if you do that, remember that you will also pay 7.5% into the superannuation fund for the NZ police and its obligatory. I personally won't be paying into two funds as it would be quite expensive. On the other hand I have completed half my service already so when I get to 60 the pension I get from here will be worth more in NZ so I should be doing okay. Mick, what does your friend think of working in NZ and in particular Auckland? What does he reckon about the NZ police?
I to have almost 14 yrs pensionable service so its a big worry for me at the moment. I do not know what age the NZ cops will retire at, will have to ask my mate. He says in relation to Auckland, he would nt like to worl there purely because of the higher house prices. He has no regrets about leaving UK and states that the quality of life more than makes up for Funny beer, no football etc.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Hagey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dot405
I to have almost 14 yrs pensionable service so its a big worry for me at the moment. I do not know what age the NZ cops will retire at, will have to ask my mate. He says in relation to Auckland, he would nt like to worl there purely because of the higher house prices. He has no regrets about leaving UK and states that the quality of life more than makes up for Funny beer, no football etc.
I don't fancy Auckalnd either. I think the cops will retire at 55 with an oppurtunity to go on until you are 60. If I joined now I could work 25 years until I'm 60 but then I would have 40 years service! If I retire at 55 I will only get 20 years of the supperannuation which might not be enough to live on, considering I will have to wait until I am 60 to get the UK pension and I have 2 young kids. A lot to think about eh? We're very much undecided at the moment as we have a reasonably good standard of living in Scotland and haven't seen a lot to convince us beyond all doubt that it's the place we want to be. I think it's going to depend on where they would want to post me. I had contact with a girl in recruting on the North Island and she reckoned we were being recruited for Queenstown and the Southern areas. I'll take it with a pinch until I speak to the recruiting team.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

hector212 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't fancy Auckalnd either. I think the cops will retire at 55 with an oppurtunity to go on until you are 60. If I joined now I could work 25 years until I'm 60 but then I would have 40 years service! If I retire at 55 I will only get 20 years of the supperannuation which might not be enough to live on, considering I will have to wait until I am 60 to get the UK pension and I have 2 young kids. A lot to think about eh? We're very much undecided at the moment as we have a reasonably good standard of living in Scotland and haven't seen a lot to convince us beyond all doubt that it's the place we want to be. I think it's going to depend on where they would want to post me. I had contact with a girl in recruting on the North Island and she reckoned we were being recruited for Queenstown and the Southern areas. I'll take it with a pinch until I speak to the recruiting team.

Chaps, i too have 17 years in the job, (thought i would be the oldest), but the pension issues i am trying to get clarified by the federation, and will let you know if anything interesting or important comes of it. With regard to where we would possibly end up, i think due to the "reluctance" of anyone i have spoken to, to give me a straight answer, speak volumes. Auckland it will be. Even more so if you have the CID background, as is the case for me.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Agreed, i think there is a lot of speculation and we won t know anything until interview stage. Good luck and if you hear anything post it. Cheers Mick.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

SeanK has a spectacular aura aboutSeanK has a spectacular aura aboutSeanK has a spectacular aura about
Cool Re: New Zealand Police - International Recruitment

**Sorry to sound so cynical, but plod seems to get shafted from all sides**

Careful re the pension time bomb [s]
If you leave the `job` prior to 25yrs pensionable service - you get nothing till your 60.
Then the amount `you get` will depend on the length of `contribution time`.
Difficult when you have only a 5-15yrs input-if you know what i mean.

Next you take the chance that the NZ economy will remain substantially below that of Europe.[where the pension is, that you stopped paying into all those years ago..] OK for now, but in 10-25yrs time - compared with the so called Tiger economy of Asia / China ??? ....who knows,could be worth peanuts.

The trick is to have 25yrs + then the pension gets paid @ 50yrs old.

But hey , the NZ force wants trained guys for free..

Remember some of the best crooks wear suits....
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

jenks007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: New Zealand Police - International Recruitment

Hiya all
Hope you will all talk to me. I am a wifey!! I thought it was just my husband being cynical about the NZ recruitment but it seems that most of us are more than a little unsure. We go up on the 1 Nov for the interviews etc,. the main concerns are pension and posting. We went to NZ in March, contacted the police recruitment before we went out there and were given names of police R.O's that we could contact while out there. We were amazed to be told by one particular R.O that the 2002 recruitment hadnt really worked out. Loads of UK police had gone home and that they would NOT be doing that kind of recruitment again. Hubby even went into a station in Howick and didnt get past the snotty civvie! Three months after our return we get an email saying the absolute opposite!! DUUUUUURRRRR!!!!
This recruitment campaign is a bit (dare I say) cowboy, they cant answer most of your questions - almost like they havent figured out the answers to some of the most obvious questions. (Perhaps they should refer to the British 5 P's) They come across as arrogant "you know our country is great, so you can get here completely at your cost, etc,.etc " Look forward to hearing from you.....
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: New Zealand Police - International Recruitment

Originally Posted by jenks007
Hiya all
Hope you will all talk to me. I am a wifey!! I thought it was just my husband being cynical about the NZ recruitment but it seems that most of us are more than a little unsure. We go up on the 1 Nov for the interviews etc,. the main concerns are pension and posting. We went to NZ in March, contacted the police recruitment before we went out there and were given names of police R.O's that we could contact while out there. We were amazed to be told by one particular R.O that the 2002 recruitment hadnt really worked out. Loads of UK police had gone home and that they would NOT be doing that kind of recruitment again. Hubby even went into a station in Howick and didnt get past the snotty civvie! Three months after our return we get an email saying the absolute opposite!! DUUUUUURRRRR!!!!
This recruitment campaign is a bit (dare I say) cowboy, they cant answer most of your questions - almost like they havent figured out the answers to some of the most obvious questions. (Perhaps they should refer to the British 5 P's) They come across as arrogant "you know our country is great, so you can get here completely at your cost, etc,.etc " Look forward to hearing from you.....
Hi Jenks007. Have you tried the police forum dot com ? I know you will get some great advice and everyone's very positive. I'm going on the 2 Nov and I would have asked for your feedback but I won't be near a computer on the 1st as travelling down, just my luck! Anyway, I'm sure the rest of the gang would like to know how it went, if you don't mind telling them. The police forum is full of a great mix of people and comments. I know most people feel a similar way about the recruiting effort but hopefully the questions will be answered on the day. BTW, all the OZ forces recruit people at their own costs too and I haven't seen many complaints (not any in fact).

All the best to hubby!

Last edited by Hagey; Oct 23rd 2005 at 9:36 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Hiya all
Hi Jenks, welcome to the club. We all seem quite iffy at the moment, but its a major thing we are doing. I heard from NZ press reports that of the last 87 UK recruits 12 went home quite early and one was asked to leave/ resign. Must have been a little bit economical with the truth on his application. I have tried through several different methods to speak to some of those cops that stayed, but they have not replied. I am sure it will become clearer one way or another after the interviews. Mines on the 4th, so i will wait for your reply. Good luck Mick............
Old Oct 24th 2005, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Hiya all

Hi Jenks007.

I agree with the others, at this stage it would appear the only answers we will get will be during or after the interviews. Its a question of wait and see what is offered on the day.
I dont think we should all be too negative though, being cops (or wifey of), we are a bit cynical or sceptical about most things we come across, until we have the full picture.
After the interviews some will be lucky enough to be offered the position and that's when the big decision has to be made. It would be nice if after those interviews we all chatted and discussed issues that were raised, this would at least help those who were successful.
Finally, i still have drawn a blank on getting to speak with an officer who has done, what we are all considering. I am sure they must have slapped a restraining order on them, to prevent them talking (oooops cynical), but it does appear odd, that i cannot seem to make contact with any. Never mind i will continue to try, as it is these people that will have all the answers to the questions WE want answering.
Laters. Hector212
Old Oct 24th 2005, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hector212
Hi Jenks007.

I agree with the others, at this stage it would appear the only answers we will get will be during or after the interviews. Its a question of wait and see what is offered on the day.
I dont think we should all be too negative though, being cops (or wifey of), we are a bit cynical or sceptical about most things we come across, until we have the full picture.
After the interviews some will be lucky enough to be offered the position and that's when the big decision has to be made. It would be nice if after those interviews we all chatted and discussed issues that were raised, this would at least help those who were successful.
Finally, i still have drawn a blank on getting to speak with an officer who has done, what we are all considering. I am sure they must have slapped a restraining order on them, to prevent them talking (oooops cynical), but it does appear odd, that i cannot seem to make contact with any. Never mind i will continue to try, as it is these people that will have all the answers to the questions WE want answering.
Laters. Hector212
Hi Guys / dolls, just something else to throw in. I have spoken to our pensions manager today and he seems to think that it will be ok to transfer our police pensions to an nz company, who also look after their pensions. I know of two ex UK cops who went over in Apr 2003 and have just transferred their pensions over to The bank of New Zealand. Keep trying with the id Hec it would be nice to speak first hand with someone who has done it....Mick
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Hi Guys / dolls, just something else to throw in. I have spoken to our pensions manager today and he seems to think that it will be ok to transfer our police pensions to an nz company, who also look after their pensions. I know of two ex UK cops who went over in Apr 2003 and have just transferred their pensions over to The bank of New Zealand. Keep trying with the id Hec it would be nice to speak first hand with someone who has done it....Mick
Very interesting about the transferring of the police pension Mick. Do you have any other details of the pros and cons of doing this from the two lads you know, ie. do the contributions made when in the UK police, form any part of their future NZ pension. Or are they kept as two separate policies, so to speak. Would appreciate any other info you have.

Hector212
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

jenks007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: New Zealand Police - International Recruitment

Hiya
For those that are travelling to london the day before interview....Have you had any luck with accomodation? Have spent yonks on the net trying to find reasonably priced digs. Let me know! Ta! Well this time next week it will be over for us, will let you know how it went. Have set up a jotter so that every time we think of a question we can write it down!
J.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hector212
Very interesting about the transferring of the police pension Mick. Do you have any other details of the pros and cons of doing this from the two lads you know, ie. do the contributions made when in the UK police, form any part of their future NZ pension. Or are they kept as two separate policies, so to speak. Would appreciate any other info you have.

Hector212
Still working on the details of the pension, but i had a meeting with a financial advisor from our fed office today and the simple facts are that when you leave the force with my amount of service (14 yrs) your options are simple.1/ leave it alone, do nothing with it for one year or more while you are out there. Once you are settled and staying, move it across to a private NZ company and pay into it over there, hopefully exchange rates will still be favourable. 2/ leave it in uk and draw it at 65. If things don t work out move back in one year and start again. thats all the info i have at the minute. still looking to spk to the two lads personally.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Hiya
For those that are travelling to london the day before interview....Have you had any luck with accomodation? Have spent yonks on the net trying to find reasonably priced digs. Let me know! Ta! Well this time next week it will be over for us, will let you know how it went. Have set up a jotter so that every time we think of a question we can write it down!
J.
Hi jenks, in relation to digs, my interview is on Fri 4th. Me and the good lady have found the best deals appear to be cheap mid week breaks See the sights of London and all that. Try www.highlifebreaks.co.uk we are staying two nights B/B in the Thistle 4 xxxx hotel Kensington Palace for £87 notes each. Not the cheapest but its within shouting distance of the Venue, and its the wifes birthday as well. Mick
Old Oct 25th 2005, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

Hi jenks, in relation to digs, my interview is on Fri 4th. Me and the good lady have found the best deals appear to be cheap mid week breaks See the sights of London and all that. Try www.highlifebreaks.co.uk we are staying two nights B/B in the Thistle 4 xxxx hotel Kensington Palace for £87 notes each. Not the cheapest but its within shouting distance of the Venue, and its the wifes birthday as well. Mick
The regent Palace Hotel is a short walk from the venue and costs us £70 (all in) for a double room with en-suite and breakfast!

Don't go to their site though, we booked it through www.alpharooms.com.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.