New career with EPS??

Old Oct 10th 2009, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

marksy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New career with EPS??

Hi there,

I am new to this website and any advice is gratefully received as my new family and I want to start a new life in Canada. I am a serving Met officer with 12 years experience and the Edmonton Police Service caught my eye. How do I start the ball rolling, what should I look out for, how long does it take, what's the area like, cost of living, etc etc??

Thanks!
Old Oct 10th 2009, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future
Default Re: New career with EPS??

Originally Posted by marksy
Hi there,

I am new to this website and any advice is gratefully received as my new family and I want to start a new life in Canada. I am a serving Met officer with 12 years experience and the Edmonton Police Service caught my eye. How do I start the ball rolling, what should I look out for, how long does it take, what's the area like, cost of living, etc etc??

Thanks!
I am near the end of the application process and should get a decision in the next few weeks on employment.

To get started have a look on the recruiting website for EPS which is www.joineps.ca

That will guide you through the application process and what is required. Things required for the application are sight and hearing tests along with an IQAS assessment which is where you have your UK educational qualifications assessed for the Canadian system.

Once the application is sent off if they are interested they will invite you out for testing which will be one week in Edmonton where you do all the tests/interviews. If you pass all these then you have a background check and assuming you pass this you go to the selection committee for a decision on employment. I am waiting on a decision from the committee at the moment and a few others on here are around the same stage as me.

For interest I sent off the application in early Feb 09. Got invited to do testing in June 09 but delayed it until August 09.

Tim
Old Oct 11th 2009, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Hi Tim,

Many thanks for replying! Blimey the application process is quick!. I've just completed my IQAS forms and will send them off tomorrow. Did you wait for this result to come back before submitting the actual EPS application forms? Also what was the physical like and did you have the hearing test done over there or here in the UK and where did you have it done?

Kind regards
Ian
Old Oct 11th 2009, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by marksy
Hi Tim,

Many thanks for replying! Blimey the application process is quick!. I've just completed my IQAS forms and will send them off tomorrow. Did you wait for this result to come back before submitting the actual EPS application forms? Also what was the physical like and did you have the hearing test done over there or here in the UK and where did you have it done?

Kind regards
Ian
Ian

Recruiting are happy for you to send the initial application off without the IQAS certificate as long as it is in process. I simply attached a cover note with my application to tell them the situation. When I received the IQAS form I simply forwarded it on to EPS.

You need to have the sight and hearing tests done to send off with your application. Specsavers do both of these tests for a reasonable fee and if you are successful in gaining employment then EPS will apparently reimburse you these fees.

Regarding the fitness test I found it quite passable however do not take it for granted as it is on a completely different (higher) level than the UK. I did do a lot of fitness work prior to going over which obviously helped.

Tim
Old Oct 19th 2009, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Tim!,

Have got my eyesight test booked just need to sort out hearing. I've sent off my certificates to IQAS so will complete the application forms very soon. Just need to work on my fitness!

Ian