Missed The Boat?

Old Aug 16th 2011, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Blueblood is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Missed The Boat?

As I watch the news on TV again today, having already thrown the newspapers at the wall I find myself once more browsing through the Australia/NZ 'wanted down under' mags.

The problem is of course that I suspect that the last ship may have sailed!!

I had considered emigration years ago, but as i progressed in my career with a couple of promotions en route (Insp) I consoled myself with the fact that at least I would be financially secure with a decent pension in the future.

Now it seems that all this may be about to change (greater pension contributions, less pay, loss of SPP's, loss of child benefit payments, loss of tax credits....and so it goes on.....we are now earning less as a family than we were 3 years ago!!) .... so i have to revisit the future.

The questions therefore are;

1. Are there any future/proposed NZ/Aus recruiting drives (i'm drawn to Auckland more though)
2. Lateral transfer opportunities.
3. Length of training
4. Impact on pension (better to leave the UK scheme and not be able to get at it until 60 or transfer it?)
5. Forget policing and transfer emigrate via another route. If so does anyone have experience of this (BIG step!!)
6. Is living down there REALLY that much better for family life (2 kids, 6 and 3 years old). Is the grass greener.

I just find myself becoming less and less interested in doing the job here that I have loved for 19 years so could do with a few home truths from those that have made the move...
Old Aug 17th 2011, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

ESTM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Missed The Boat?

Hi Blueblood

All i have to say is, i know how your feeling

If your interested in going abroad however St.Helena Police are recruiting for an Inspector.

The place looks very unique and i have been looking into it for years.

Details are below:

Job Title: Police Inspector
Salary: £40,000 P.A. + Benefits
Start Date: T.B.A.

St Helena Island, South Atlantic Ocean

A challenging role in an outstanding setting.

This is an ideal chance of a lifetime - well suited to a career break or retirement career opportunity.

St Helena

A self-governing overseas territory of the United Kingdom, St Helena is an island of 47 square miles and around 4,000 people in the South Atlantic. With CapeTown in South Africa some 1,700 miles distant, the islanders enjoy a unique lifestyle in truly unspoilt, friendly and peaceful surroundings.

This is a full time operational police role involving shift and weekend working. You will be managing Crime and Operations. You will provide advice and guidance to officers, lead on investigations and deliver on the job coaching to local officers. You will deliver policing in line with modern service standards.

Police Inspector
£40,000 p.a. + Benefits
2 year fixed term contract with the potential of a further year.

Requirements -
• A UK Police Inspector or suitably qualified sergeant with at least five years supervisory experience.
• Experience in managing criminal investigations and operations.
• Proven track record in developing and leading staff
• Highly motivated and proactive in order to meet the needs of a changing community
• Training experience is desirable
• Experience of policing an island or small community would be an advantage

Please contact Kedell Worboys for more information or to apply on Tel: 0203 170 8706 Email: [email protected] or Write: St Helena Government UK Representative, 16 Old Queen Street, London SW1H 9HP.

Closing date for applications: 21st August 2011

Regards

ESTM
Old Aug 17th 2011, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply ESTM, but I think that could be leap of faith too far!!

BB
Old Aug 18th 2011, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

Kiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond reputeKiwijack has a reputation beyond repute

SAPol (South Australia) have just finished lateral recruiting. WAPol (Western Australia) may be next but it could be months (or years) away. NZ have recruited from the UK in the past (about 2 or 3 years ago) and again may do so in the future but nothing has been said or rumoured yet.

The other Aussie states don't seem to recruit from the UK but never say never.

Police Officer is not on the Australia wanted list (Skilled occupation list) so General Skills migration may be difficult for you unless you have a spouse that will qualify.

I'm not sure about NZ requirements.

Check out episodes of Kalgoorlie Cops on YouTube for Western Aus policing or Highway Patrol for Melbourne

Cost of living in NZ is very high as are taxes and house prices - especially in Auckland. The quality of life however is second to none (in my opinion). Aus is great but choose your location carefully and make sure you live the aus dream of sun and sand and don't get holed up in some suburban souless housing estate.

Policing in aus can be different - check the link http://www.cairns.com.au/article/201...ocal-news.html

Good luck
Old Aug 18th 2011, 5:36 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As far as I am aware , in order for you to recruit in to the NZ police service , you must already hold residency status.

NZ Police recruitment ( click the links)

Please do have a browse of the NZIS website.

Do the points indicator and check out the skills wanted lists.

It might be that you could find a job within a 'security' environment or summat similar with what is known as an NZ accredited employer and that could be your 'in'. Or, your wife might have enough wanted skills to be a main applicant.

Just chucking thoughts your way. You never know until you give it a go.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 3:31 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered Canada? BC is a lot like NZ but the wages are higher and you are closer to the UK.

As a Sgt i earn a base salary of just over $100,000 closer to 140,000 with overtime, great beneifts and a car. 6 weeks hols and 11 bank holidays per year. Lots of career opportunites and great working environment, lots of support when things go sideways....

PM if you need further info
Old Aug 24th 2011, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

I have considered Canada and I know that they have previously offered some lateral entry options, BUT I was under the impression that overseas recruitment had stopped for the forseeable future?
Old Aug 27th 2011, 12:45 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Just popped in to say welcome to those who are new members on here.

Also I wish you all good luck with your escape plans.

I can honestly say that with the Hutton and Windsor reports and their appalling proposals, things are pretty mean for UK police officers, and if I were not so close to retirement would probably be joining the exodus.

Fingers crossed some opportunities appear soon guys

Dread - x
Old Aug 28th 2011, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Blueblood
I have considered Canada and I know that they have previously offered some lateral entry options, BUT I was under the impression that overseas recruitment had stopped for the forseeable future?
I'm not aware of any planned international recruiting for Canada. Also be aware that if they do in the future you would still have to do the basic training and start from the beginning again. I don't think there's any lateral transfer scheme for higher ranks.

Tim
Old Aug 29th 2011, 8:52 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blueblood
but as i progressed in my career with a couple of promotions en route (Insp) I consoled myself with the fact that at least I would be financially secure with a decent pension in the future.

I just find myself becoming less and less interested in doing the job here that I have loved for 19 years so could do with a few home truths from those that have made the move...
Just come across this thread, and hope you don't mind me giving unsolicited advice. Think very long and hard before you chuck up The Job and the last 10 years which earns 50% of your pension.

I say this a someone who collects their MetPol pension every month, having done 30 years, and enjoys life in Oregon. My son is in West Yorks and I give him the same advice. While you are working you don't realize how good the pension is or what it means to you once you retire. Having done 2/3rds of your service it is a lot to give up.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lansbury
Just come across this thread, and hope you don't mind me giving unsolicited advice. Think very long and hard before you chuck up The Job and the last 10 years which earns 50% of your pension.

I say this a someone who collects their MetPol pension every month, having done 30 years, and enjoys life in Oregon. My son is in West Yorks and I give him the same advice. While you are working you don't realize how good the pension is or what it means to you once you retire. Having done 2/3rds of your service it is a lot to give up.
Very good advice there.....I moved over to Canada having 'only' done 7 years in the UK Police so not the same considerations as having 19 years
Old Aug 31st 2011, 7:40 am
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lansbury

I think the issue is that the government is trying to get rid of the police pension, and i hear that includes existing pension members. So if you have ten years worth of the pension then it will stop at ten years, then you get to contribute to a new much worse pension, which does not cost the government half as much for the rest of your service. I am led to believe this is likely to take place from next year.

The British government seems determined to destroy the British police.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Baz
I think the issue is that the government is trying to get rid of the police pension, and i hear that includes existing pension members. So if you have ten years worth of the pension then it will stop at ten years, then you get to contribute to a new much worse pension, which does not cost the government half as much for the rest of your service. I am led to believe this is likely to take place from next year.

The point exactly. If (when) this lot change the pension rules what I have accrued thus far is red circled and I then have to consider joining a new scheme or not and working longer. Why not work longer somewhere else where what we do is still supported! That is the point.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 3:32 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baz

this is terrible, i didn't know anything about that. What a slap in the face for those that have given to the service.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 11:32 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
this is terrible, i didn't know anything about that. What a slap in the face for those that have given to the service.
They also want 14% of total wage paid into the pension instead of 11% (note that civil servants, NHS workers and Fire brigade pay about 4 - 5% for very similar benefits under the new schemes) and want to tax the whole commutation lump sum at at least 40%.

This virtually makes a police pension worth half of what it is today.

Quite frankly I can understand anyone who wants to get out these days.

Dread - x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.