British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Police (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/)
-   -   maths test (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/maths-test-800630/)

fadsie1 Jun 19th 2013 2:07 pm

maths test

This may sound like a silly question but does anyone know if we are allowed to use a calculator in the maths test? I am fairly good at maths and I know the theories behind percentage finding etc but when it comes to long division and multiplication in this day and age do we need to work it out ourselves? For example if a question was in a school of 850 students 319 were females so what is this percentage. Its easy to know it would be 319÷850 × 100 would give the answer but could we use a calc for the sum part?

OzPCwannaB Jun 20th 2013 7:40 am

Re: maths test

Originally Posted by fadsie1 (Post 10764677)
This may sound like a silly question but does anyone know if we are allowed to use a calculator in the maths test? I am fairly good at maths and I know the theories behind percentage finding etc but when it comes to long division and multiplication in this day and age do we need to work it out ourselves? For example if a question was in a school of 850 students 319 were females so what is this percentage. Its easy to know it would be 319÷850 × 100 would give the answer but could we use a calc for the sum part?

No calculators allowed. Sorry

Beaverstate Jun 20th 2013 7:48 am

Originally Posted by fadsie1 (Post 10764677)

Doing it without the calculator helps you to understand basic math more completely. Rather than just looking at the answer.

fadsie1 Jun 20th 2013 8:30 am

Fair enough but it seems quite silly. Surley by getting to the correct answer you are showing that you understand maths. In this day and age who would need to work out long multiplication etc? Even if you were the best mathematician in the world if you have a mobile phone or a calc why would u waste time doing long sums? Oh well ill have to get my gcse bite size books from the loft

brisbec Jun 20th 2013 8:58 am

Don't look at it as a maths test.
It's a mental capacity test, to see if your mental capacity can deal with complex problems.