Life with WAPOL anyone?

Old Dec 4th 2012, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Philbo2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Life with WAPOL anyone?

Good luck and well done on the fitness... What was the bleep test like?
Old Dec 9th 2012, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

jonnyfurious is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Philbo2005
Good luck and well done on the fitness... What was the bleep test like?
It was ok - I only had to run to 9.1 because I'm an old boy.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

There appears to be a fairly negative article in The Times in relation to an Ex Cop who's wrote a book about WAPOL. While it clearly needs to be taken with a big pinch of salt it has caused me to consider the question - just how the local cops feel about the international recruits?
Old Dec 10th 2012, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonnyfurious
There appears to be a fairly negative article in The Times in relation to an Ex Cop who's wrote a book about WAPOL. While it clearly needs to be taken with a big pinch of salt it has caused me to consider the question - just how the local cops feel about the international recruits?
Mate, like anything and anywhere, you always get the odd arsehole.
That said, they are few and far between in my experience.
To be honest, considering the attitude displayed by some Transitional cops i.e. "back in the UK we did this that and the other" and "things were so much better/ professional back home" I'm surprised that we didn't encounter a lot more hostility.
There is a lot of banter, so you have to be a bit thick skinned at times, but no more than there would be back home between Scottish and English cops.
In my experience, the vast majority of Aussie's I've worked with, were just glad to get more cops out there on the streets and didn't really give a stuff as to where you came from.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat046 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, I done the physical/interview today in London. During the information session, she mentioned something about a WAPOL Int. Rec. forum. I was wondering is this it or is there another one somewhere that I cant find?
Old Dec 11th 2012, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

smokiejam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey lads did physical and interview last week! Went well! The only question I forgot to ask them to elaborate on was their equivalent of a pension when you retire? They said something about not having a pension but having something else? Anyone know exactly what it is?
Old Dec 12th 2012, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smokiejam
Hey lads did physical and interview last week! Went well! The only question I forgot to ask them to elaborate on was their equivalent of a pension when you retire? They said something about not having a pension but having something else? Anyone know exactly what it is?
Superannuation - basically all employers in WA have to pay an additional 9% of their employees salary into a super fund.
The money is invested in units, which can be made up of stocks and shares etc. or cash. You can contribute additional payments into your scheme by salary sacrificing and are able to draw on the scheme usually at the age of 60.
It's not as good as the old UK pension scheme in my opinion, but it does have some advantages.
One advantage being, that once it's in your fund, it's your money. So, if you die, your next of kin get the lot, not half like the UK scheme. Plus you don't have to personally contribute anything to it, if you don't want to.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Superannuation - basically all employers in WA have to pay an additional 9% of their employees salary into a super fund.
The money is invested in units, which can be made up of stocks and shares etc. or cash. You can contribute additional payments into your scheme by salary sacrificing and are able to draw on the scheme usually at the age of 60.
It's not as good as the old UK pension scheme in my opinion, but it does have some advantages.
One advantage being, that once it's in your fund, it's your money. So, if you die, your next of kin get the lot, not half like the UK scheme. Plus you don't have to personally contribute anything to it, if you don't want to.
Given the proposed changes to the UK scheme that sounds pretty damn good!
Old Jan 6th 2013, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Steve0682 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone

I'm currently a cop in Notts I have just under 5 years in and I'm strongly considering moving to oz... I really wanted to be in NSW but I don't think this is an option hey?! So the only alternatives are SA and WA! I have a friend who has just moved to SA but moving to WA is such a gamble as I only know one person out there... I guess this is holding me back a lot! Are there many ex pats in the police?! The job here is being ruined by beurocrats and Windsor! It's not the job I joined and it's just getting worse... I've been to Oz twice now And I am over in April too visiting friends, I see that that the oz police have much more respect that UK cops and I like their way of policing...

I just wondered if anyone can give me some advice?!

Cheers steve
Old Jan 8th 2013, 12:19 am
Just Joined

PMac is an unknown quantity at this point

Heading to Oz tonight on holidays. Starting in Sydeny and finishing in Cairns. Maybe a silly question but does anyone on here serve in and around those areas?. Would be very keen to call into a local station and see how things work!!!
Old Jan 14th 2013, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Keep us posted on how you go
I've been informed I passed the interview stage and now just have to pass final checks (medical, bankruptcy etc).
Old Jan 16th 2013, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Nottsscouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jonnyfurious
I've been informed I passed the interview stage and now just have to pass final checks (medical, bankruptcy etc).
Congrats mate. Secretly jealous!!! In fact, not so secretly!!!!!
Old Jan 16th 2013, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nottsscouse
Congrats mate. Secretly jealous!!! In fact, not so secretly!!!!!
Go for it mate - they're still recruiting - but you have to go over to Perth for interview etc.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

smokiejam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Johnny, I got the same email! I'm really stuck on deciding to take the offer or stay put!!! It's the parents I'll miss!! Anyone wanna settle my mind!!!?
Old Jan 17th 2013, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Philbo2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't apply on the last campaign unfortunately and have seen on their site that they're recruiting again but you've got to go to Perth... I've emailed them tonight to see if they are likely to come here again to recruit, fingers crossed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.