Life with WAPOL anyone?

Old Nov 9th 2013, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

jonnyfurious is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Life with WAPOL anyone?

Well I've been in Aus for 3 weeks now and have done my first two weeks training with WAPol.
I van honestly day the months of stress and waiting were all worth it. All the best to those still in the application process and for those thinking about it - if your circumstances are right go for it!
Old Nov 10th 2013, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Maddjose is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice one jonnyf....... Any surprises ?? Or as you expected???
Old Nov 10th 2013, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Better than expected!
Old Nov 10th 2013, 6:48 pm
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute

That's great to hear Jonny. Looking forward to getting out there and starting.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

When do you start?
Old Nov 11th 2013, 6:03 am
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute

Was asked to start in January a couple of weeks ago, but it's too soon for us. Have been told it'll be the April course, just waiting for the dye to be confirmed.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

HarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant future

I now have a very keen interest in this thread.

HB
Old Nov 11th 2013, 6:08 am
Living the dream in WA

;-)))
Old Nov 11th 2013, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

EC182 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I was asked if I wanted to start on the 20th January but that was too early for us as well. So I was told that they'd have a start date / choice of divisions in April around the middle of November, once the January intake had filled up. Must get onto them again before the week is out - it'd be great to actually have a start date and an idea where we were going, to be able to start looking at flights / accomodation.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

simps is an unknown quantity at this point

I like reading comments like that Jonny F glad your enjoying it, cant wait myself now to done the blue shirt.
Welcome HB to the forum
Old Dec 1st 2013, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the WAPOL family Both my sons, my daughter in law and myself are all in the family...its tough at times but its great to belong to something so special. Good luck everyone! Anyone coming to southwest WA?
Old Jan 18th 2014, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Indous is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got my offer. Just reading through it though...what's an Unlimited Volunteer declaration? I feel like I'm being set up for something or am I just used to British policing!
Old Oct 25th 2014, 7:37 am
Just Joined

vicki_83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Life with WAPOL anyone?

Hiya

I realise this post is quite dated now, however am I really keen to move to wa pol and was curious how your doing now? What are your thoughts on wapol and policing in Australia? How is it different to policing in the UK?

Hope your still enjoying it and any feedback will be greatly appreciated

Many thanks.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 11:57 pm
Living the dream in WA

Hi Vicki

First thing to do is check the WAPol recruiting website Step forward – you won’t look back » Step Forward

That will tell you if they are recruiting currently and how to go about it. I know they have just finished a selection process so, if they are looking again, it will be next year now.

The process involves completing your application and then an entrance exam, fitness test and interview. If successful at all of that you get nominated to Aus Immigration for visas. It can take quite a while from start to finish, in my case I emailed WAPol in Jan 2013 and moved over in March this year.

The course at the academy is what you'd expect, 13 weeks of learning the WAPol way, however it is quite rushed and you come away with some knowledge, but will learn it quick enough on the ground. The systems and paperwork take more time to get used to but it's slowly getting there.

What's it like? Different to the UK, but it's a different country, but it's similar enough that even a dinosaur like me can still do it, and no matter how much moaning and complaining you do (transitionals have a history of it unfortunately) it's not going to change. I always had the attitude of just get on and do it their way, and so far it's going well. They are gradually moving to response/local policing teams using models from the UK, so there are many similarities, but being a police officer is generally no different here to anywhere else.

The lifestyle is the reason we made the move though, not the job. My wife and two kids love it. It's clean, people are nice, warm/hot for most of the year and miles of uncrowned beaches to enjoy, as well as parks and a stunning country to explore. It's not that expensive that you cannot survive, we're doing it on just my wage at the moment, but the cost of living is more than in the UK but you're earning more. I'm currently earning about £50,000 with shift penalties and overtime.

Would I recommend it? Definitely mid you don't try, you'll never know so keep an eye on the website and get an application in. If you need anything, just ask.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 6:10 am
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of

I'd be very surprised if there isn't any further UK recruitment. Everyone, at the academy at least, goes on about how well it's working. They need the steady experience of the Transitionals to balance all the new, raw recruits coming through.
Like the UK it's not perfect. They acknowledge that. But I didn't come here for the policing. It's a means to an end. It's just a job funding a lifestyle I could only dream of in the UK.