Billpipstar1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Life with WAPOL anyone?

Thank you for that mate.Very useful
Old Mar 10th 2013, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

katmuirhead is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Life with WAPOL anyone?

Hi,

Iv just joined the site and seen this feed, its been really helpful! I am just about to send my application for the current WA process and was looking to get some tips and advice. Been a PC with the Met for 4 years and looking to move over to Aus. Ild be going on my own and moving away from family so be a big step..

Hows everyone getting on so far? Johnny have you had a start date yet?

Kate
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

jonnyfurious is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kate,

There has been a provisional start date of 30th September suggested by WAPOL I'm currently sorting out my VISA so will hopefully get a firm start date once that's granted I think most people will be in a similar situation although there are a few who went to Perth last year you have a start date of May. The recruitment process is straightforward as long as your read everything carefully and prepare - but if you have any specific questions feel free to pm. Good luck with app and keep us posted!

John

Originally Posted by katmuirhead
Hi,

Iv just joined the site and seen this feed, its been really helpful! I am just about to send my application for the current WA process and was looking to get some tips and advice. Been a PC with the Met for 4 years and looking to move over to Aus. Ild be going on my own and moving away from family so be a big step..

Hows everyone getting on so far? Johnny have you had a start date yet?

Kate
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

katmuirhead is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats good news! Well done, hopefully your Visa comes through soon.

How long roughly was your whole process? Like from application to test dates and then test dates to be given a provisional start date?

Did you have to wait long to find out if you had been successful after the test dates?

KAte

Originally Posted by jonnyfurious
Hi Kate,

There has been a provisional start date of 30th September suggested by WAPOL I'm currently sorting out my VISA so will hopefully get a firm start date once that's granted I think most people will be in a similar situation although there are a few who went to Perth last year you have a start date of May. The recruitment process is straightforward as long as your read everything carefully and prepare - but if you have any specific questions feel free to pm. Good luck with app and keep us posted!

John
Old Mar 10th 2013, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

It seemed like ages but it was really quite quick. It was probably between 4-8 weeks between each stage and 3-4 weeks before I found out the results of the previous stage. This may have been quicker then usual because of fitting it in around their visit to London.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

Samski is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys

Forgive my ignorance if this has already been posted, but it's a mind field out there!!!

Looking at applying for WAPOL as fit the criteria etc... I understand I'd have to pay to go out there for tests etc but wondering about sponsorship and visa?!

How much does it cost for all that shizzle to put together? Ie. do I pay for mine and wife's visa(she is a primary teacher) or do they pay?

Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to apply and then realise I can't afford the process at the moment etc.

Thanks

Sam
GMP
6 years(only 33 to go for a full pension aged 60 now)
Old Mar 12th 2013, 12:18 am
Just Joined

EC182 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sam

Have a look here, there's great information re. visas and that side of things on page 9.

https://www.emergencyservicesforum.c...0527#pid120527

You're liable for the visa costs, according to the above they come to €2,343, which is around £1,800 or £1,900 I think. Plus you've to foot the bill for travelling to Perth for the entrance tests.

I enquired a couple of months ago about whether they had any plans to travel to London or Dublin again in the foreseeable future, and they said they hadn't. Might change if they get enough applications I suppose, but if you're going for it I would do it on the assumption that you'll have to travel to Perth.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

ECILOP will become famous soon enough

I've recently applied for WAPOL and i'm heading across to Perth in June for testing. In total, it's cost me around £1200 for flights and accommodation for the time that i'm going to spend over there.

With regards to sponsorship, if successful, WAPOL will nominate you for a state sponsored permenant residency visa for which there is a fee of approximately £2080. This will cover yourself and any dependants which move across with you such as a de-facto partner, Husband/Wife or children.

There will also be an additional cost for the medicals which you would all have to have prior to being granted a visa. My understanding is that the medical costs somewhere in the region of £250-£300 per person, however, that's on the basis of what i've been told, not what i've found out for myself.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Yeah that's bang on. You have to pay for Police checks for every country puce lived in for over a year UK's is £45 per head. Also I has had to pay for a couple of Medicals as part of the WAPOL recruitment process (not the visa) they came to £170 but if you're going over to Perth they will probably just use their own doctor.
Sam I work for GMP too, in Salford.

John
Old Mar 12th 2013, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Good luck mate - keep us posted!

Originally Posted by ECILOP
I've recently applied for WAPOL and i'm heading across to Perth in June for testing. In total, it's cost me around £1200 for flights and accommodation for the time that i'm going to spend over there.

With regards to sponsorship, if successful, WAPOL will nominate you for a state sponsored permenant residency visa for which there is a fee of approximately £2080. This will cover yourself and any dependants which move across with you such as a de-facto partner, Husband/Wife or children.

There will also be an additional cost for the medicals which you would all have to have prior to being granted a visa. My understanding is that the medical costs somewhere in the region of £250-£300 per person, however, that's on the basis of what i've been told, not what i've found out for myself.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 12:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonnyfurious
Yeah that's bang on. You have to pay for Police checks for every country puce lived in for over a year UK's is £45 per head. Also I has had to pay for a couple of Medicals as part of the WAPOL recruitment process (not the visa) they came to £170 but if you're going over to Perth they will probably just use their own doctor.
Sam I work for GMP too, in Salford.

John
Have a look here http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=758390 for medical fees - not the police specific ones, but those for general migration which all family members will have to undergo.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

gpiper is an unknown quantity at this point

I have received a reply today from WAPOL regarding an email I sent them.

Here is my original email:

"WAPOL,

I am looking into applying for the WAPOL. I am currently a serving Police Constable with the Metropolitan Police in London, UK and have about five and a half years service. I understand that you came over to London in November 2012 for a recruitment event but missed it as I was not aware. Can you please advise me on whether you are looking to do a similar visit again during this recruitment window? Also, should I apply anyway and visit you in September for the selection event and say am successful and am offered employment can I delay that for late 2014 or is there a cutting off point? As you can understand immigrating to another country and especially one as far as Australia has considerable costs and my current savings wouldn’t suffice possibly. Any extra time would be of use to me to better prepare financially. Are there any support packages offered by WAPOL? I understand that re-location allowances are not offered but reading through your website I saw that WAPOL has its own housing that officers can use that has discounted rates? Finally, and I do apologise, I have dual nationality. I was born in Greece and came over to the UK about 11 years ago and obtained a British nationality. I assume there is going to be no issue with dual nationality holders? Will you also be supporting my girlfriend for her immigration application as well. She only holds Greek citizenship which is still EU.

Once again accept my apologies for all these question as I’m sure us British police officers must keep you quite busy with all our different questions we may have."

This is the reply I received from them today leaving the window open to potential visits again in the future. As always take this with a pinch of salt.

"Hello Georgios

I would advise you to put your application in now, by the time it gets received and processed we may have news as to whether or not we will be visiting the UK again.

If we are not visiting the UK and you need to come here for assessments, once successful, you would be required to be in WA for the next available school. The schools for 2014 have not been scheduled yet so I cannot give you a definitive answer on cut-off points.

We nominate successful applicants for a visa and the only requirement is that you are serving with either UK or Ireland Police Services. If you are nominated for a visa you may apply for your dependants, spouse/defacto to be nominated on your visa. The cost of the visa is $3040 and your dependants come on your visa, we don’t nominate them and it is at the discretion of the Immigration Department. we have no involvement with the visa once we have nominated you.

Subsided housing is only available for officers who take up country positions.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Sxxxxxxx

Unfortunately I have changed my mind on this and don't think I will apply as the physical evaluation looks like it might need a lot of work for me to get to this standard. I'm slim but haven't exercised for years. Any people that have gone through the physical evaluation that can tell us how difficult it was, what was their physical condition and any tips advice on how much gym work they put into it?

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 18th 2013 at 7:00 pm. Reason: Please respect the fact that staff names etc should not be published without their permission :)
Old Mar 19th 2013, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gpiper
I have received a reply today from WAPOL regarding an email I sent them.

Here is my original email:

"WAPOL,

I am looking into applying for the WAPOL. I am currently a serving Police Constable with the Metropolitan Police in London, UK and have about five and a half years service. I understand that you came over to London in November 2012 for a recruitment event but missed it as I was not aware. Can you please advise me on whether you are looking to do a similar visit again during this recruitment window? Also, should I apply anyway and visit you in September for the selection event and say am successful and am offered employment can I delay that for late 2014 or is there a cutting off point? As you can understand immigrating to another country and especially one as far as Australia has considerable costs and my current savings wouldn’t suffice possibly. Any extra time would be of use to me to better prepare financially. Are there any support packages offered by WAPOL? I understand that re-location allowances are not offered but reading through your website I saw that WAPOL has its own housing that officers can use that has discounted rates? Finally, and I do apologise, I have dual nationality. I was born in Greece and came over to the UK about 11 years ago and obtained a British nationality. I assume there is going to be no issue with dual nationality holders? Will you also be supporting my girlfriend for her immigration application as well. She only holds Greek citizenship which is still EU.

Once again accept my apologies for all these question as I’m sure us British police officers must keep you quite busy with all our different questions we may have."

This is the reply I received from them today leaving the window open to potential visits again in the future. As always take this with a pinch of salt.

"Hello Georgios

I would advise you to put your application in now, by the time it gets received and processed we may have news as to whether or not we will be visiting the UK again.

If we are not visiting the UK and you need to come here for assessments, once successful, you would be required to be in WA for the next available school. The schools for 2014 have not been scheduled yet so I cannot give you a definitive answer on cut-off points.

We nominate successful applicants for a visa and the only requirement is that you are serving with either UK or Ireland Police Services. If you are nominated for a visa you may apply for your dependants, spouse/defacto to be nominated on your visa. The cost of the visa is $3040 and your dependants come on your visa, we don’t nominate them and it is at the discretion of the Immigration Department. we have no involvement with the visa once we have nominated you.

Subsided housing is only available for officers who take up country positions.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Sxxxxxxx

Unfortunately I have changed my mind on this and don't think I will apply as the physical evaluation looks like it might need a lot of work for me to get to this standard. I'm slim but haven't exercised for years. Any people that have gone through the physical evaluation that can tell us how difficult it was, what was their physical condition and any tips advice on how much gym work they put into it?
Mate,
If you have no underlying health conditions (which would probably exclude you from applying anyway) It should take you no longer than a couple of months hard work in the gym to get up to scratch.
It 's not easy and certainly harder than the UK police physical testing, but easily achievable, if you're motivated enough.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 2:14 am
Just Joined

htallis is an unknown quantity at this point

Im a former cop currently in Perth and have applied to transition over as my service was in the last 18 months. I was told they orignially had a trasitional course scheduled for March 2013 but they had to cancel this as a result of not having anough applicants. Can anyone confirm wether this was the case? was anybody due to be on this course but advised it was postphoned?

Can anyone whos completed the written test or the panel interview give advice on what the questioning focused on? any specific questions asked etc.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

LLcop is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

I'm sorry to jump on this thread but it seems a lot of you do respond to it and quite recently too, what with the new recruitment drive and requirements. Let me explain our situation. I am 30 with 8 years service. I was promoted to Sgt in January 2013. My long term partner is 25 with nearly 5 years service and is a police constable. We are both with a UK force. We are interesting in applying to WA. Has anyone out there tested their 3-7 yr service requirement?
We would like to apply as a pairing, do you think that, although my partner fully meets their criteria, they will not even consider my application because I have a year too long?
I have e-mailed them but they have yet to reply...

Any shared experience with this would be gratefully receieved...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.