Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Joining the Canadian Police from the UK

Joining the Canadian Police from the UK

Old Aug 26th 2016, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Ross75277 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Joining the Canadian Police from the UK

Originally Posted by nige1521
Here in Edmonton (EPS) we are still ok with just PR, there are no time restrictions on how long you have held PR. But, again we have no intentions of re-opening international recruitment in the near future.
Nige , I am a Police Officer from the UK currently living and studying on a student visa in Alberta. I have been lucky enough to get a career break from my UK force and have come over here to study Justice. My ambition is to join the Police in Canada one of my reasons for just getting over here even if it was on a student visa. I'm I am hoping to make contacts whilst studying to allow me to join the force once finished. Having read this site as part of my revision into how I go about moving into law enforcement in Canada and I have seen you post many times with what seems great insite into EPS I was wondering if I could pick your brains about several questions I have regarding my journey so far.
Thanks in advance.

Ross
Old Aug 26th 2016, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future

Hi Ross, no problem at all, send me a PM on here and I'll give you my work email address.
Nige
Old Aug 26th 2016, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

Brilliant thank you I'll send you a message.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

Brilliant thank you, I'll send you a message.
Old Aug 27th 2016, 10:55 am
Just Joined

baller is an unknown quantity at this point

Here in Edmonton (EPS) we are still ok with just PR, there are no time restrictions on how long you have held PR. But, again we have no intentions of re-opening international recruitment in the near future.
Still a relieve there. Finally got PR and will be landing at the end of the year. Hoping to make the cut in 2017.

Got any tips to prepare for the tests?

Last edited by baller; Aug 27th 2016 at 12:28 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future

Hi Baller,

Congrats on the PR!! Are you talking about the written tests or physical?

Most people prepare for the ACT/APCAT by using PolicePrep, either the book or the online version.

Go to Policeprep.com and select Alberta tests

Nige
Old Aug 28th 2016, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

baller is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Baller,

Congrats on the PR!! Are you talking about the written tests or physical?

Most people prepare for the ACT/APCAT by using PolicePrep, either the book or the online version.

Go to Policeprep.com and select Alberta tests

Nige
Thanks! I have already been in contact with recruiting and they recommended that book as well. I plan to go through it when I land and get my CPR certificate. If there is any advice you could give me with respect to the interviews that will take place during the application process, that would be highly appreciated!
Old Aug 28th 2016, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Keep an eye on the Join EPS website and book yourself onto a BDI interview workshop prior to a BDI. Also go to the information session prior to that. In relation to the personal disclosure interview and subsequent polygraph, just be completely honest about your past. We need to know it all. Applicants fail because they think they can hide it, or play it down, and then come clean as they are on polygraph. At that point it's too late. So, be yourself.
Arrange a Ride Along too, Recruiting or myself can arrange that for you.

Send me a PM and I'll give you my work email.

Nige
Old Sep 20th 2016, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Ale_x is an unknown quantity at this point

Nige, I'm currently a Police Officer in Australia and need some info about joining EPD. Any chance I can get your email address? I tried emailing EPD but I couldnt get all my questions in the box before sending
Old Jan 31st 2017, 10:24 am
Just Joined

supereddzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Keep an eye on the Join EPS website and book yourself onto a BDI interview workshop prior to a BDI. Also go to the information session prior to that. In relation to the personal disclosure interview and subsequent polygraph, just be completely honest about your past. We need to know it all. Applicants fail because they think they can hide it, or play it down, and then come clean as they are on polygraph. At that point it's too late. So, be yourself.
Arrange a Ride Along too, Recruiting or myself can arrange that for you.

Send me a PM and I'll give you my work email.

Nige
Nige, I don't suppose you are the same Nigel that I've heard about - the one that moved out to work in Canada having previously worked in Holyhead?
Old Jan 31st 2017, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Supereddzz,

Feel free to private message me, or email me. My work email is on this thread somewhere.

Nige
Old Jan 31st 2017, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

supereddzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Supereddzz,

Feel free to private message me, or email me. My work email is on this thread somewhere.

Nige
Will do once I've posted enough times to send a PM!