Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Joining the Canadian Police from the UK

Joining the Canadian Police from the UK

Old Jun 28th 2016, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Minime33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Joining the Canadian Police from the UK

Hi Everyone,

I've seen that there are a lot of older threads about this topic but I couldn't find all the information I was looking for. I've been looking for sometime at moving to Canada and joining the police service there. My preference would be a force in Alberta as they have held international recruitment events in the past. I have checked my eligibility and my partner and I are both eligible for the express entry system. I've also looked at Australia, New Zealand and British Overseas Territories but I'm not so keen on them as I've heard horror stories of people moving out and then moving back a few years later were as international recruitment appears to have been more of a success in Canada.

I'm not in a rush to move as I'd like to see how things pan out in the UK.

I have a few questions though:

1. How does policing in Canada compare to the UK?

2. Will there be any international recruitment events in the near future?

3. How long does it take to get PR status if you are living outside of Canada?

4. How are British cops viewed in Canada?

5. What are the benefits of being a cop in Canada over the UK?

6. How long is the initial training?

7. How does the lifestyle in Canada compare to the UK?

8. What is the public perception of the police in Canada?

Thanks
Old Jun 28th 2016, 6:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joining the Canadian Police from the UK

Hi, and welcome to BE.

I've no idea about the police questions, but I'm sure some of the lovely folks on here will be along to help you with those later.

But for question 3, it will depend on how long you are sitting in the 'pool' of applicants. So you apply for EE (say about 2-3 months to get your IELTS and ECA to be able to apply) and then if you're scoring enough you'll be selected almost immediately and invited to apply for PR, which then takes approx 6 months. So figure about 8-9 months in total from starting the process.

However, if you're not scoring enough, then you could sit in the pool for a year without being invited to apply for PR (at which point, your profile would expire and you'd need to reapply). So really it will depend on your points score, if you're scoring over approx 450 then you're in with a chance, anything over approx 480 should mean an invitation fairly quickly.

HTH, best of luck.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Minime33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the quick reply. I've been counting up my points and I believe I'm around the 460 mark.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 10:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Minime33
Thanks for the quick reply. I've been counting up my points and I believe I'm around the 460 mark.
OK, so you might not get selected straight away, but hopefully it won't be too long. Maybe figure about a year in total from start to finish as a (very!) rough guide.

HTH, best of luck.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future

Hi Minime33, feel free to send me a PM, I can gladly help you

Kind Regards

Last edited by nige1521; Jul 26th 2016 at 10:09 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

billyboykent is an unknown quantity at this point

So..... my wife and I went out to calgary in 2009 in an attempt to join as transferees from kent. We had a ride along with Ann m's hubby and loved it. Only to be told when we saw recruitment that they had stopped all transfers the week we went there.😢😢😢😢😢 we put our dreAm on hold and have kept an eye on things. ... I work with a Canadian who said he's been told calgary are opening up again. Anyone know if this is true or not??
Please say yes!!!
Old Aug 21st 2016, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future

I would be very surprised if they do, given the economy in Alberta right now. Edmonton have no plans now or in the near future to re-open. As far as I'm aware Calgary are stricter than Edmonton, as you have to have held PR for 3 years before you can apply, as it stands.
I can try and make some enquiries with a contact, but as I said, I'd be surprised.

Nigel
Old Aug 21st 2016, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

If you could nice thatd be great. Biggest regret is missing out by a week! I'd take anywhere in Canada!!!
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 8:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Ditto to the above - the economy is in the worst shape it's been for years so can't see why they'd suddenly change things? Highly unlikely IMO too.

But is there no other visa route for you? Assume you don't score enough on the CRS to get PR without a job offer?
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ditto to the above - the economy is in the worst shape it's been for years so can't see why they'd suddenly change things? Highly unlikely IMO too.

But is there no other visa route for you? Assume you don't score enough on the CRS to get PR without a job offer?
Don't really know. We'd have to try and get pr status without having a job offer first wouldn't we? I speak decent French German and Spanish so that may help I guess. How does it work?
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 9:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by billyboykent
Don't really know. We'd have to try and get pr status without having a job offer first wouldn't we? I speak decent French German and Spanish so that may help I guess. How does it work?
Ok. You've been trying to get back for years but haven't looked in to visas?! Sorry, I just assumed you had and already knew there was no way for you to get there without a job offer.

If you can get a visa without a job offer then that would make far more sense, as you'd then be PR's and so able to work without needing sponsorship.

Your German and Spanish will be of no use, they're not languages of Canada, but your French will get you extra points.

Start on the CIC website, you can take their eligibility test and look at visa routes to see if you could just apply for PR now. Then you'd have PR in about six months and can just move without worrying about a police force sponsoring you.

Good luck.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ok. You've been trying to get back for years but haven't looked in to visas?! Sorry, I just assumed you had and already knew there was no way for you to get there without a job offer.

If you can get a visa without a job offer then that would make far more sense, as you'd then be PR's and so able to work without needing sponsorship.

Your German and Spanish will be of no use, they're not languages of Canada, but your French will get you extra points.

Start on the CIC website, you can take their eligibility test and look at visa routes to see if you could just apply for PR now. Then you'd have PR in about six months and can just move without worrying about a police force sponsoring you.

Good luck.
Sorry I should have explained better. We kept an eye on the situation to see if the pr nomination scheme opened up again. I'm a bit uneasy about leaving job in the UK without having a guaranteed job in Canada. If I can't get in the police for any reason I'd be buggered! I'll have a look and see. With pr status I can apply anywhere then??
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Billyboykent,

Well, as far as some ex-pat Calgary Officers go, they have had no indication that the international program is due to be re-opened. They think the same as me and Christmasoompa, the economy here is just too bad for them to consider it.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

paddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond reputepaddyonway has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Nige, Calgary has no intentions on opening it up again given the economy and availability of local applicants. Even with PR status certainly for Calgary my understanding is you need to have been in country 3 years to apply..
Old Aug 25th 2016, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Here in Edmonton (EPS) we are still ok with just PR, there are no time restrictions on how long you have held PR. But, again we have no intentions of re-opening international recruitment in the near future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.