British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Police (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/)
-   -   How can a UK cop get to Australia 2019? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/how-can-uk-cop-get-australia-2019-a-921175/)

Mair90 Jan 18th 2019 1:12 pm

How can a UK cop get to Australia 2019?
 
Hi everyone, I've read forums on here as best I can to try and get an understanding of it all. I know none of the forces are recruiting and unlikely they will again anytime soon for over seas cops. Unfortunately police officer is no longer on the list of skills and I expect a few people are like me in that I don't have any other qualifications outside of policing that would enable me to apply for any of the jobs on the skills list.

Is anyone else facing the same problem and found a way around this, any qualifications I can work towards outside of work that may help. I have looked at the open university for things such as a degree in social work or teaching but as with anything social work requires a 90 day placement and the degree for teaching doesn't earn you qualified teacher status. I am open to doing other courses but with shift work I'm yet to find anything I could do. I have considered the possibility of doing an AAT for accounting as this is on the skills list but how I would get work experience I have no i
​​​dea. I suppose my question is, has anyone come up with a way of applying our policing skills to any sort of qualification that would allow us to apply for a job within any of the skills list. I've been scouring the internet for weeks and I'm a bit stuck.

Thanks in advance

667 Feb 3rd 2019 9:36 pm

Re: How can a UK cop get to Australia 2019?
 
I am in exactly the same position, my brother actually lives in Australia and is an Australian citizen although this makes absolutely no difference. I applied to WA police approx 5 years ago and was successful but couldn't go for family reasons, I am now absolutely kicking myself. I have been in contact with 3 different Australian migration agents and still no joy. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Nairobi Jack Feb 27th 2019 11:06 pm

Re: How can a UK cop get to Australia 2019?
 
I don't think Australia or Canada are that interested in recruiting foreigners to come over and police anymore as they get plenty of qualified local applicants.

teza Feb 28th 2019 10:03 am

Re: How can a UK cop get to Australia 2019?
 

Originally Posted by Nairobi Jack (Post 12645205)
I don't think Australia or Canada are that interested in recruiting foreigners to come over and police anymore as they get plenty of qualified local applicants.

With Australia I don’t think it’s a case of not interested, it’s a case of too high unemployment , too many locals to recruit, how do you reason with tax payers footing the bill that foreigners are needed when plenty of locals are needing a job.

Nairobi Jack Feb 28th 2019 12:41 pm

Re: How can a UK cop get to Australia 2019?
 
Well if I was a young fella in Canada Australia NZ etc and trying hard to get qualified for law enforcement and I saw a bunch of foreign blokes getting jobs ahead of me I'd be well jacked. Like in UK you have to be resident for years before you can apply so you can't expect different elsewhere

K.Brockway May 31st 2019 1:57 pm

Re: How can a UK cop get to Australia 2019?
 

Originally Posted by Mair90 (Post 12623584)
Hi everyone, I've read forums on here as best I can to try and get an understanding of it all. I know none of the forces are recruiting and unlikely they will again anytime soon for over seas cops. Unfortunately police officer is no longer on the list of skills and I expect a few people are like me in that I don't have any other qualifications outside of policing that would enable me to apply for any of the jobs on the skills list.

Is anyone else facing the same problem and found a way around this, any qualifications I can work towards outside of work that may help. I have looked at the open university for things such as a degree in social work or teaching but as with anything social work requires a 90 day placement and the degree for teaching doesn't earn you qualified teacher status. I am open to doing other courses but with shift work I'm yet to find anything I could do. I have considered the possibility of doing an AAT for accounting as this is on the skills list but how I would get work experience I have no i
​​​dea. I suppose my question is, has anyone come up with a way of applying our policing skills to any sort of qualification that would allow us to apply for a job within any of the skills list. I've been scouring the internet for weeks and I'm a bit stuck.

Thanks in advance

Hey all,

I'm a current serving Police officer with the Victoria Police Force in Australia and we are currently in the middle of a major recruitment drive. If you are a police officer from New Zealand or the UK, get can apply for recognition of prior service. Whilst in the academy in 2018, we had a British fellow doing a gap course as he served with the Met.

I hope this helps.

Nairobi Jack May 31st 2019 2:35 pm

Re: How can a UK cop get to Australia 2019?
 
That sounds like a real good deal but don't know if UK police are eligible for the skilled worker elibility usually that's just nurses engineers scientists etc

Nairobi Jack May 31st 2019 2:40 pm

Re: How can a UK cop get to Australia 2019?
 
The Victoria Police Act 2013 stipulates that you must be an Australian Citizen or hold Australian permanent residency to join Victoria Police.

New Zealand Citizens are required to have a Special Category Visa and be residing in Australia to submit an application.

On application to Victoria Police, you are obliged to provide proof of citizenship, permanent residency or special category visa status.

that's off the website so they're saying you have to already have the status before filling any form in.

same rules all round canada US UK if you're not a legal resident already do not pass Go!!

Nairobi Jack Jun 1st 2019 2:12 pm

Re: How can a UK cop get to Australia 2019?
 
Like I said why are we going round in circles here the ONLY OPPORTUNITY to move out and work in law enforcement overseas for ANYONE is in NZ CORRECTIONS.

not Australia not canada not Caribbean islands and most definitely not US.

It's NZ CORRECTIONS and that is it.


Pollyana Jun 2nd 2019 4:56 am

Re: How can a UK cop get to Australia 2019?
 

Originally Posted by Nairobi Jack (Post 12692042)
Like I said why are we going round in circles here the ONLY OPPORTUNITY to move out and work in law enforcement overseas for ANYONE is in NZ CORRECTIONS.

not Australia not canada not Caribbean islands and most definitely not US.

It's NZ CORRECTIONS and that is it.

Not sure why you are getting so heated about this?
And you aren't actually correct.
There are many visas available for various countries, and police officers may qualify for some of these - they may qualify due to other skills, they may qualify due to investing money, they may qualify as the spouse or dependent of someone gaining a skills visa, they may even qualify on the grounds of marriage to a a national of the country concerned.
Personally I know three Queensland police officers who married Australians, moved here and promptly joined the Service.

Not saying there is anything wrong with wanting to work for NZ Corrections, but please get yur facrs straiht.

Nairobi Jack Jun 2nd 2019 7:52 am

Re: How can a UK cop get to Australia 2019?
 
I'm talking about going and getting in purely on basis of being a police officer. As I've had pointed out to me by others threads on different immigration topics investment spousal other skills go in other threads. Of course if you go and qualify as a nuclear scientist spend 10 years doing high level research on nuclear fission then you might stand a good chance of getting a skilled workers visa. But then you probably wouldn't need to look at this forum or even be on this forum. And if you were you'd be looking at "nuclear scientists". I hope I've made that clear. But right now as has been laboured to beyond the point of infinity the only way a Ted off the backstreets of a UK town is going to get directly overseas is NEW ZEALAND CORRECTIONS.

christmasoompa Jun 5th 2019 4:55 pm

Re: How can a UK cop get to Australia 2019?
 

Originally Posted by Nairobi Jack (Post 12692302)
I'm talking about going and getting in purely on basis of being a police officer. As I've had pointed out to me by others threads on different immigration topics investment spousal other skills go in other threads. Of course if you go and qualify as a nuclear scientist spend 10 years doing high level research on nuclear fission then you might stand a good chance of getting a skilled workers visa.

No idea if that's true for all other countries, but it's not true for Canada - police officers are an eligible occupation for a skilled workers visa there.

HTH.

Nairobi Jack Jun 5th 2019 5:59 pm

Re: How can a UK cop get to Australia 2019?
 
I don't know of any UK police officers getting visas on that basis in last few years.

Pollyana Jun 5th 2019 7:57 pm

Re: How can a UK cop get to Australia 2019?
 

Originally Posted by Nairobi Jack (Post 12693742)
I don't know of any UK police officers getting visas on that basis in last few years.

Just because they didn't send you a message and let you know doesn't mean it hasn't happened........ :eek:

Nairobi Jack Jun 5th 2019 8:23 pm

Re: How can a UK cop get to Australia 2019?
 
I take it then you're either a Canadian Immigration officer, Canadian Immigration lawyer or Canadian Immigration consultant with in depth knowledge of the current Canada Immigration system and all its complexities including how applications are assessed processed input and decided upon?


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:32 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.