Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Help - removal companies!

Help - removal companies!

Old Aug 18th 2009, 1:35 pm

LFC1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Help - removal companies!

I know there are probably lots of posts already, but saving the trawl can anyone point me in the right direction for a cheap but reliable removal company to get a family of four to Calgary? We have just had a quote from Pickfords for £4500 with insurance at 2.25% on top for approx 700 cubic metres? Is this about right? (just thought I'd check before I go and rob a bank :-) )
Old Aug 18th 2009, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

dsd1976 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help - removal companies!

Originally Posted by LFC1977
I know there are probably lots of posts already, but saving the trawl can anyone point me in the right direction for a cheap but reliable removal company to get a family of four to Calgary? We have just had a quote from Pickfords for £4500 with insurance at 2.25% on top for approx 700 cubic metres? Is this about right? (just thought I'd check before I go and rob a bank :-) )
Hi,

Thats a good price... was quoted £6500 + 2.5% insurance by PPS for 700 cubic metres with a 12 - 16 week delivery time.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds about right I'm afraid. Is 700 cu metres the same as a 20ft container?

You might be able to knock off a few hundred quid with another company. But choose a company that appears to communicate well and in a timely fashion. Insurance seems to vary between 1.5% and 3% - so 2.25% sounds the norm. Read the small print carefully.

The only reason I mention this is because we got stung on one particular item - it was a box containing china and ornaments - total value probably nearly 1000GBP (don't ask ) - but our policy limited each item - read each carton - to 40GBP. They would not budge on this, even though their own guys didn't even wrap said ornaments and china. Again, don't ask! Just one more thing to watch out for.

And that items are at replacement / at new costs / etc (ie, they don't take off depreciation 'cos the bike was 3 years old, or whatever).

Get your cheque book out - again
Old Aug 19th 2009, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Brickie has a brilliant futureBrickie has a brilliant futureBrickie has a brilliant futureBrickie has a brilliant futureBrickie has a brilliant futureBrickie has a brilliant futureBrickie has a brilliant futureBrickie has a brilliant future

Also consider Air Canada Cargo. I was quoted £1.35 per kilo (inc all fuel surcharges, x-ray charges etc etc...), however, I am taking over a lot less than you. I have decided to sell off all my furniture and just bring 4 or 5 boxes of belongings. A friend was quoted £662 for 35 boxes...although I don't know what size the boxes are. If you can fill one of those big silver pallets they put on the plane (ULD - Unit Load Device) they will give you a special rate.

Worth a try...might even be GTP!

Forgot to mention, there is no 12-16 week wait... They try and get in on the same plane as you.

Last edited by Brickie; Aug 19th 2009 at 6:12 pm. Reason: see last line
Old Aug 19th 2009, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dsd1976
with a 12 - 16 week delivery time.
That sounds a lot - do you know which route your stuff is taking?
Old Aug 19th 2009, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Take a long hard look at what you have to transport and say do I really need it, do I use it.

In my experience 90% of everything like furniture, china, electrical goods etc are easily replaceable and not needed in your new location. Its an adventure right, so start by getting lots of new things. Just think what you can buy for 4500?

Obviously, some things are irreplaceable but when you break it down the amount of sentimental items we all have is a lot smaller than a 20 foot container.

When I first went abroad took one suitcase after emptying an entire house. I stored several boxes but that was about it.