help with calgary police

Old Jun 6th 2008, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

pete g is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help with calgary police

Can anyone help,
I am thinking of applying to the CPS but need to know the answers to a few questions
I was a late starter in the UK and will need to work on as long as possible, can anyone tell me what the normal retirement age is with CPS?
I am aware that in the US the norm is for only two weeks annual leave is this the same in Canada?
Finally, I believe that you would have to complete at least two years patrol duties before applying for any other positions, does anyone out there know what a typical shift pattern is
Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help with calgary police

Welcome to British Expats Pete

I've moved your post to the Police forum, there are lots of members there who will know the answers to police-specific questions.

Look forward to seeing you on the forums!
Old Jun 7th 2008, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to BE

The earliest normal retirement age (to receive a pension) for CPS is 55. I believe you can work on to 65 if you wish.

You pay 10.1% of your salary. CPS pays in 11.11% of your salary.

You need to have at least 5 years of pensionable service to be eligible to draw a pension (so from this, I understand it that if you left before that 5 years was up, you would get back your contributions plus interest, or could transfer it into an RRSP/another pension scheme/or leave it there).

If you were to retire under 55, and with less than 25 years of service (but more than 5 yrs - hope I'm not confusing you!), you could receive a deferred pension to begin any time between 55 and end of the year you turn 71.

If you die before retirement, benefits will be paid to your 'pension partner'. If you do not have a partner or dependant minor children, the pension will be paid to your estate.

Your pension will be paid to you as long as you live, and in the event of your death first, will pay out a lifetime benefit to your partner.

Please see www.sfpp.ca

If you are currently a UK officer with more than 5 years service, you would be eligible to start with CPS on 5th class constable wages - and would get 12 days annual leave. This allowance goes up very slowly with more service . This may or may not be a big issue to you. The ability to save up extra time and build up a "time bank" is not too onerous.

Most districts throughout CPS are due to roll out a 4-on, 4-off shift pattern - 12 hours (but with a couple of odd shifts adjusted in to make the hours work out) this autumn.

Hope that helps
Old Jun 7th 2008, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pete g
Can anyone help,
I am thinking of applying to the CPS but need to know the answers to a few questions
I was a late starter in the UK and will need to work on as long as possible, can anyone tell me what the normal retirement age is with CPS?
I am aware that in the US the norm is for only two weeks annual leave is this the same in Canada?
Finally, I believe that you would have to complete at least two years patrol duties before applying for any other positions, does anyone out there know what a typical shift pattern is
Not sure about CPS but at EPS its 60, I would imagine they are the same as we are both in Alberta.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ann m
Hello and welcome to BE

The earliest normal retirement age (to receive a pension) for CPS is 55. I believe you can work on to 65 if you wish.

You pay 10.1% of your salary. CPS pays in 11.11% of your salary.

You need to have at least 5 years of pensionable service to be eligible to draw a pension (so from this, I understand it that if you left before that 5 years was up, you would get back your contributions plus interest, or could transfer it into an RRSP/another pension scheme/or leave it there).

If you were to retire under 55, and with less than 25 years of service (but more than 5 yrs - hope I'm not confusing you!), you could receive a deferred pension to begin any time between 55 and end of the year you turn 71.

If you die before retirement, benefits will be paid to your 'pension partner'. If you do not have a partner or dependant minor children, the pension will be paid to your estate.

Your pension will be paid to you as long as you live, and in the event of your death first, will pay out a lifetime benefit to your partner.

Please see www.sfpp.ca

If you are currently a UK officer with more than 5 years service, you would be eligible to start with CPS on 5th class constable wages - and would get 12 days annual leave. This allowance goes up very slowly with more service . This may or may not be a big issue to you. The ability to save up extra time and build up a "time bank" is not too onerous.

Most districts throughout CPS are due to roll out a 4-on, 4-off shift pattern - 12 hours (but with a couple of odd shifts adjusted in to make the hours work out) this autumn.

Hope that helps
its 1st class if you have more than 5 years.
$75k, plus some shift allowance.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kittykerr
its 1st class if you have more than 5 years.
$75k, plus some shift allowance.
Ta - I'm still getting my 5th's and my 1st's muddle up. D'oh !!
Old Jun 7th 2008, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pompeyboy
Not sure about CPS but at EPS its 60, I would imagine they are the same as we are both in Alberta.
Thanks - You could be right - which is why I qualified it with "I believe" Hubby was chatting to me about a guy at work that he met in his early 60's - but that could have been someone staying on in a civilian role?

Anyway, we're working on the assumption that hubby gets out as soon as practical and allowable
Old Jun 7th 2008, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

sorry to hijack, but i just looked at the pension site and the calculator, based on 30 years, at age 55, with the maximum average wage, only came to $5500 pension. i take it thats per month not per year? i bloody hope so, as the pension costs aobut the same as my old UK one, and i would have retired at 49 with a £90,000 lump sum and about £20,000 per year.. (based on if i was retiring today obviously, i imagine in 25 years a loaf obread will cost $100, and get paid $5000 per hour!)

Last edited by Kittykerr; Jun 7th 2008 at 4:19 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think it is fair to say that the UK police pension scheme is a very good one!

I've just done a very crude calculation on hubby's expected pension here - saying if he retired at 55yrs with 16 years of service - it kicks out an annual estimate of $44,900 which breaks down to a monthly income of around $2,500 (which, when you reach 65, reduces by another $340 because, technically, the state pension kicks in then) .... it's not a lot!

And I say it again, and again, but there is no lump-sum here or any equivalent. So, to my mind, you need to be making some other arrangements or investments if you are coming here expecting to replace that £90k (ish).

The SFPP here is viewed as a comparitvely good scheme. We're just used to the thought of a lump sum at the back of our British minds.

If you are coming here relatively young (or young in service) you should have a decent amount of time to be making additional plans for your retirement funds. If you are coming here as a bit of an old sweat with only about 10 years to go, you need to seriously consider whether you wish to bring over your UK police pension monies to invest here. It is entirely possible and quite a few people have now done this.

T'is always a hot topic, this one And personally, we're still not entirely comfortable with it
Old Jun 7th 2008, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

pete g is an unknown quantity at this point

Big thanks to all for the help, to clarify, I joined at 32, 6 years ago so if I could get at least another 22 years in, that would have to do but if I could work on to 65 that would be even better.(well sort of)
I presume that if the shifts are 4 on 4 off and 12 hrs it would simply alternate from days straight to nights?
2 weeks annual leave to start with is a bit tragic though, are there any further offers on that one?
How have other families managed when coming over having been accepted into CPS with regard to housing? Have you had to rent first before buying and is the system as soul destroying as the UK system? Stamp duty, fees etc.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by pete g
I presume that if the shifts are 4 on 4 off and 12 hrs it would simply alternate from days straight to nights?

I understand it was agreed to be two days, two nights, four days off - give or take.

2 weeks annual leave to start with is a bit tragic though, are there any further offers on that one?

Not really - this is what you have to work with at the moment

How have other families managed when coming over having been accepted into CPS with regard to housing? Have you had to rent first before buying and is the system as soul destroying as the UK system? Stamp duty, fees etc.
Some people buy, some people rent for a while. Some people rent a basement suite for a couple of weeks while looking at houses, some come over beforehand and buy a house ready for when they arrive. The house-buying system is quite different here and although not complicated, you especially need to understand what it means when you put in an offer. Having the advice of a good realtor is key, and I am happy to recommend one to you if you want to make some intial enquiries. The realtors here are nothing like a UK estate agent - in all manner of better ways !!

Have you found www.mls.ca yet? That will give you an idea of prices in the Calgary region.

Also have a read of the wiki (little blue bar at the top of this screen) and click through to the Calgary pages and neighbourhoods - there is ton's of useful info on there.

The new info to absorb when you first get this idea in your head is overwhelming, but just keep plugging away on the police threads, and the general Canada forum and you'll pick up info you did not know you even needed
Old Jun 8th 2008, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ann m
I think it is fair to say that the UK police pension scheme is a very good one!

I've just done a very crude calculation on hubby's expected pension here - saying if he retired at 55yrs with 16 years of service - it kicks out an annual estimate of $44,900 which breaks down to a monthly income of around $2,500 (which, when you reach 65, reduces by another $340 because, technically, the state pension kicks in then) .... it's not a lot!

And I say it again, and again, but there is no lump-sum here or any equivalent. So, to my mind, you need to be making some other arrangements or investments if you are coming here expecting to replace that £90k (ish).

The SFPP here is viewed as a comparitvely good scheme. We're just used to the thought of a lump sum at the back of our British minds.

If you are coming here relatively young (or young in service) you should have a decent amount of time to be making additional plans for your retirement funds. If you are coming here as a bit of an old sweat with only about 10 years to go, you need to seriously consider whether you wish to bring over your UK police pension monies to invest here. It is entirely possible and quite a few people have now done this.

T'is always a hot topic, this one And personally, we're still not entirely comfortable with it
Good advice Anne.. I have 12 years UK service, I can do another 15 here so I have bought my pension over and invested it..I think Bob Hope did the same..
Old Jun 8th 2008, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

boshwaggle will become famous soon enough

Hi I thought Calgary stopped the recruiting of Uk officers unless they are canadian citizens or residents already?

Better try Edmonton instead.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Calgary have stopped actively looking for UK officers. However, they will still consider a submitted resume, and if they like what they see, will ask you to forward a completed application form.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul5455 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all,
im hopefully coming over to join the CPS around June 09. i joined the Police over in UK at 18 and will have just over 5 years in when i move.
how will it work when i move. do i get a lump sum back for what i have paid in over here, which i can then invest in a pension in Calgary? it makes no sense to me what so ever!