Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

getting out of the rat race

getting out of the rat race

Old Feb 6th 2007, 10:41 am
Just Joined

chezzybabeuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting out of the rat race

Hello, everyone
Could do with some advice,My husband has been in the police for 11 years, working now as a DC,I am a complementary therapist. We are fed up being in the rat race, and want to experience something else in life. We both love the rural life and would love to own a house with loads of land to keep animals. Can anyne recommend a country to live, with a good standard of living, good schools, and lots of sun
I know this sounds like buying a dishwasher, but we have no pre concieved ideas of anywhere outside of europe
thanks
Old Feb 7th 2007, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting out of the rat race

Crikey ! and how long is that piece of string !

First question really is : does you hubby still want to be a police officer? If he does, then narrow down your options with places that are actively recruiting - eg, Australia (Western and South?), New Zealand, Canada (Alberta in Edmonton or Calgary) are among the most popular on this site. I suspect your skills could be used/employed in most places.

And if you are looking for sun, is that 'hot sun' or just sunshine ?? Calgary is very very sunny but could not claim to be too great for sunbathing for 10 months of the year !! How about snow and sun ?? I'm obviously biased on the Canada front and it can offer you land/schools/good standard of living and 'sunshine'.
If any of those appeal, trawl the relevant threads on the relevant countries on this site for more insight and have a look at police dash forum dot com too.

If hubby is happy or wanting to leave police service, well blimey - the world's your lobster. That really is a question we can't help you with.

One thing I would say is that those who are leaving the UK 'cos it's 'gone to the dogs' or similar are those that often do not settle elsewhere because they are generally unhappy with their lot. Those who actively want to go to a specific country for a specific set of reasons are more likely to settle.
Good luck !
Old Feb 9th 2007, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: getting out of the rat race

Thanks for that, yes he wants to say in the force, and we quite fancy South Australia especially as I noted on their web site that they are recruiting.
Like the cimate,the space,the people,cost of living, UK is fine,but you just cant get the housing here,and i really hate winter thats it!
Must say though it,ll never happen as i get cold feet.
Dont want to wake up at 70 realising i havent lived anywhere beyond 10 miles from place of birth,but on the other hand too scared to quit my safety sphere.
We,ll keep you posted thanks xxxxxxxxxxx
Old Feb 11th 2007, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Default Re: getting out of the rat race

Hello all,
We are going to do it, and hubby is applying to SA police. If he,s successful really fancy Adelaid.
We have 2 dogs and 2 kids, can anyone give us any info about the place from their point of view . Are the schools ok? how easy is it to rent whilst house hunting?will there anyone i can have a glass of wine with? Does the guilt ever go that you are taking your kids half way round the world away from their friends?
Any advice would be appreciated xxx